Sign in with
Your question

Building a new system or upgrading my current one

Last response: in Systems
September 16, 2011 3:25:17 PM

My current system is this :

Biostar gf8100 m2+ se motherboard (not the best i know)

AMD Athlon II x4 640 @ 3.00ghz

ATI HD 4850

4gb ddr2 RAM

PSU rated at about 500W

This system is starting to show its age now and im looking to upgrade, the dilema im having is should i start fresh or should i upgrade what i have. The system will be used mostly for gaming but also for some physics research based simulations in the near future. From what i can gather so far it would make sense to buy a really powerful graphics card as most games depend mostly on this. I would also like to add more memory to the system and possibly a SSD, but it all depends on what more experienced people think would be most useful. I have around £800 to spend.

Thanks for your help guys, i will be checking back here every 15 minutes or so today so we should be able to get a good thread going,
Adam
a b B Homebuilt system
September 16, 2011 3:30:32 PM

For 800, and reusing your optical drive and possibly hard drive, you can have a pretty good system. I don't think it pays to upgrade your system as it is based on older technology.
September 16, 2011 3:52:00 PM

my optical drive is OEM so im not sure if that would work, but i should be able to reuse my hard drive. The debate that i am having with myself now is the whole amd/intel one. With £800 i would be able to spend about £100 more on a graphics card in an amd system, but would this trade-off be worth it? Cheers
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 16, 2011 3:57:30 PM

well you could go with an am3+ board some ram and a new graphics and psu and hold on a few weeks for amd's bulldozer and get one of them while using your athlon in the meantime
September 16, 2011 4:08:09 PM

When is the next wave of amd processors expected?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 16, 2011 4:14:12 PM

adthelad said:
When is the next wave of amd processors expected?

currently its said to be the 19 september but if not it should be before the end of the month
September 16, 2011 4:15:43 PM

obsidian86 said:
currently its said to be the 19 september but if not it should be before the end of the month

do you know what is to be expected of them? have we heard anything about the specs etc?
September 16, 2011 4:37:23 PM

wow they seem very impressive, i will most likely wait it out then with my current processor
!