I7 2600k stock, throttling?

phenomenalphalanx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Hi, I just ordered a z68 configuration from CyberPower. I just want to know whether the i7 2600k will be throttled if at stock while running a 6970, or if overclocking would be more effective. BTW I've never overclocked before and I'm pretty nervous about it, but I'd still give it a try. I would be playing gta4, if that helps

bwrlane

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Your graphics card is quite a powerful one but your system still be GPU bottlenecked in most games. You will be able to get some extra performance by overclocking but the gain will be minimal. However, why not overclock? It's easy and there's no reason to get a 2600k unless you plan to overclock. The performance gains in CPU bound situations like video transcoding are huge.

phenomenalphalanx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

I'm just nervous about it because I've never done it, and i dont want to blow out my processor. I have read a lot of articles and how-to guides on overclocking this particular processor, but the results aren't always consistent

Can you explain to me how he would be bottlenecking because I don't see it. I7 CPU, Z68 chipset and Radeon 6970. The 6970 isn't the best of the best but its one of the top single GPU videocards. That's all top of the line hardware so where is he bottlenecking?

popatim

Titan
use good memory and aftermarket cooling, then go in and up the mulitplier to 45.
test for stability but if you cant run stable at 4.5Ghz with stock voltages... Wow.
Not much else to it.

phenomenalphalanx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

i have liquid cooling, 8gb ram, should that suffice for a 4.5ghz oc?

kg4icg

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
No problem running mine at 4.5 ghz.

temporary-1.jpg

bwrlane

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

Given a powerful CPU like the 2600k, you need an incredibly powerful GPU to move the bottleneck to the CPU. In almost every case, performance issues are GPU related. Whenever you see a slowdown in the framerate, the reason is almost always because the GPU isn't powerful enough. You can test this in the following way. If reducing the resolution and effects improve framerate then your GPU is the bottleneck. Conversely, if changing resolution and effects makes no difference, the CPU is most likely the bottleneck.

In 2011, there are very few GPU configuations that can max out a 2600k. Also, there are also very few GPU configuations that are really powerful enough. In very demanding games like Battlefield 3, there is hardly a system on the planet that can run it at max settings (even at 1080p) with absolutely no visible stutter. And when it does stutter, the reason is that the GPU is struggling.

I can verify this from my personal experience. My rig has an i7 920 @4GHz and 2*560 Ti. In other words, my CPU is less powerful than OP's but my GPU is more powerful. I know from various tests shows that it's the GPU that's bottlenecking performance and not the CPU.

bwrlane

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

Depends on your settings. If you run at 1080p and at all max settings, then yes, your GPU is bottlenecking your system, just as it is on mine. If your PSU is up to the job, you could get a massive performance boost by adding a second 6970 - that would be an awesome system. (I'm assuming you have a fast i5).

But the presence of a bottleneck is nothing to get too worried about. All systems are bottlenecked somewhere. In addition to gaming, I do a lot of video editing in Adobe Premiere Pro. For that, my CPU is most definitely a bottleneck. The trick really is just to get a system that is nicely balanced for what you want. Yours is most certainly that.

there's always a bottleneck, period.
If you are well matched (which you are) then it'll change from game to game, skyrim is more CPU limited than BF3 for instance. If you are unmatched, 2600K with a GT240 for instance then you'll always be limited by the weakest component, just because the swings from game to game are not big enough to make up for the lack of balance.

TRENDING THREADS