Best ppower supply and video card for hp pavillion p6717c

Status
Not open for further replies.

minnie09

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
My power supply goes out on my HP Pavillion every month. I have bought 4 new power supplies so far. I have been told I need a better power supply and possibly a better video card. which power supply & video card should I buy to get the best performance from my desktop. one that wont be good for only 1 month. my current power supply is 350. my current video card is ATI Radeon 4200. do I have to change the video card and the power supply? or just the power supply?

popatim

Titan
You dont even have a video card. You have integrated Graphics which means your video is built into the motherboard and does not require alot of power. A 350W unit should last more than a month unless you have been buying no name crap. It only came with a 250w to begin with... Its possible you have other issues going on, electrical issues that might be killing your power supply. You do use a surge protector right?

Anyways that Cx430 is an excellent unit at an excellent price after the rebate but if you dont have a surge protector please get one.

Mid range refers to the graphics ability of your system. I would not consider a 4200 to be midrange by todays standards, its definitely entry level low end stuff now.

Midrange is in regards to the graphics card's performance level relative to all other graphics cards on the market.

The GeForce GT 440 that @o1die linked to is in the value~mainstream segment of the graphics card market.

Do you find that the current ATI Radeon HD 4200 Integrated Graphics is sufficient for your needs? If the answer is yes, then you don't need to purchase a new graphics card, only a new higher quality power supply unit from a reputable brand like Antec, Corsair, Enermax, Seasonic, XFX.

The original power supply unit in the HP Pavilion p6717c was only 250 Watts. Only just sufficient for the base configuration of that system.

If you were planning on buying a graphics card anyway, then your graphics card choice will determine the power supply capacity that you will need to go along with it.

minnie09

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011

Yes ATI Tadeon HD 4000 does meet my needs. I was not planning to buy a graphics card. I have ordered the Corsair power supply and a new surge protecter based on the great replys from you all. :) I thank you for your response . I wasnt surewhat to do about the graphics card, your answer is just what I needed.

minnie09

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011

I didnt have a clue about brand names, I bought what the store manager recommended,which is what he had in stock. From the names you all gave me Id say the ones I bought were generic. Based on your recommendation, I did order a new surge protecter. mine was old and most likely not doing the job any more. I didnt think of that. Thank you fo your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.