How safe UEFI Internet Flash is?

vixing

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
Hi, last time I was updating my BIOS (from 1.40 to 2.20) it failed to flash from Windows. Now I know it should be done other way.
My motherboard is ASRock z77 extreme4.
Question:

Is it safe and OKAY to use BIOS UEFI Internet Flash option? And what steps to do?
I already set all to default in BIOS.

Can I use UEFI Internet Flash? Is that safe?

NO!!! Never use any form of OS-level BIOS flashing, it's the number #1 way to 'brick' a MOBO.

Instead, only use a BIOS level flash and only when it's truly needed. ASRock use ASRock Instant Flash - http://www.asrock.com/feature/InstantFlash/index.asp

In short, if you have no problems then my best advice is NOT to flash.

Examples 'when to flash':
1. CPU requires newer BIOS version
2. Non-OS Instability
3. Peripherals e.g. 2TB HDD requires new BIOS.
4. Memory compatibility ; where current RAM is causing errors or stability.

vixing

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
UEFI Internet Flash = in bios... just you don't need a pendrive. I already used Instant Flash. Thanks for responses.

It is safe! :)

wingclip

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
Asrock Internet flash is NOT a BIOS updating tool. The BIOS updating tool by Asrock is the "Instant Flash" tool. The "Internet Flash - DHCP (Auto IP) - Auto" tool is to update the UEFI version and Asrock strongly implies that the two are completely different.

That said, I can't tell you more because I'm researching the tool and how to use it, myself! I have the Asrock Z77 eXtreme4 and that board is updated with the 2.90 BIOS version, which I flashed last year. I don't recall seeing an "Internet Flash DHCP toll in the selections but then, it's been a while since I've really looked at that particular set of selections.

I just installed a new Asrock Z97 OC Formula motherboard into my other desktop and I updated that BIOS to version 1.80 via Instant Flash about 10 minutes ago.

My problem is that I've yet to determine a way to identify my UEFI control version and, as I said earlier, I'm still researching how to use the tool that targets that UEFI update operation.

However, I've only just started searching when I came upon this thread so I need to move on and resume that task.
Rich