IPS vs VA, other questions

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • LCD
  • LED Monitor
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 16, 2011 8:44:24 PM

Can anyone sum up the qualities and differences of VA Panels, IPS, and LED-LCD?

Can there be IPS LED-LCDs or VA LED-LCDs?

I dunno how those work, Im good with LED-LCD vs LCD and Plasma somewhat, but dunno much about IPS and VA

Why does it seem like every freakin IPS is sold by Dell?

I hope someone can help me out with this, I dunno where the hell Im supposed to put this thread, they dont have a monitors section...

More about : ips questions

a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2011 9:03:39 PM

reaper2794 said:

I dunno how those work, Im good with LED-LCD vs LCD and Plasma somewhat, but dunno much about IPS and VA

Why does it seem like every freakin IPS is sold by Dell?

I hope someone can help me out with this, I dunno where the hell Im supposed to put this thread, they dont have a monitors section...

IPS offers a much better view angle and colors but also has it's disadvantages. The fastest IPS displays I see around are 8 ms which is terrible for gaming.
Score
Related resources
July 16, 2011 9:07:16 PM

i will tell you what i know hopefuly there is some one knows what you want
TN is cheap panel that are most common in TV's but that will be no proplem in tv's because you dont stay close to them like you do with your pc monitor i dont know about va but i know about IPS ips have many diffrent types
E-IPS
P-IPS
H-IPS
i heard the best one is the P-IPS (professional IPS) because it always compatible with high colours bit like 10-14 14 colours but ips panels are expensive from what i know i think only NEC make them for high resolutions like 2560-1600 but asus made something like that with there new monitor 24 inch ips i dont remmeber its name but it contain P-IPS technology its the best in IPS and there is an H-IPS the H-IPS is lower than P-IPS in terms of quality because its highest colours bit is like 8-10 bit and its not that bad but for a monitor with 1.07 Billion colors ( only IPS contain this number)
you will need a very good number in colors bit to have the maximuem colors accuracy Dell used it in there high quality monitors like the U2711 and at last we have the E-IPS you can call it wallet ips because its the best deal for ips and money but here is the trick it only contain 16.7 million colors like any usual TN panel and the colors bit is 6-8
its not that high the diffrence will be not that noticeable comparing it to good TN monitor but what makes it so special is the viewing angle of it and i like that part because i always complain with my TN monitor when i play games
lets get back to our subject so the E-IPS with 16.7 million colors is high end TN for me there is good E-IPS but check the colors numbers and the colors bit first to know what better and for example the new lg monitors that come with led and ips technology is perfect example because its not expensive and its use the E-IPS for wallet and its resolution is 1080p and for what i wrote i have the right now to say that apple cinema display 27 inch is piece of junk because its combine E-IPS panel with high resolution monitor 2560-1440 and its only have 16.7 million colors for the last thing you must heard about TFT ( thin film transistor ) its not panel its the monitor itself all the ips or tn or va panels are controllers for the TFT but the best controller is the IPS i hope you got the idea and sorry if i tired you with reading
Score
July 16, 2011 9:09:22 PM

So IPS = not good for gaming? Does a few more ms really make that much of a difference?
Score
a c 365 U Graphics card
July 16, 2011 10:18:11 PM

browsingtheworld said:
IPS offers a much better view angle and colors but also has it's disadvantages. The fastest IPS displays I see around are 8 ms which is terrible for gaming.

The fastest IPS display is 5ms (Planar PX2611w), but most are 6ms with slightly less aggressive response time compensation settings. This general statement applies to H-IPS, S-IPS and P-IPS panels which the rather expensive compared to TN panels.

All e-IPS panels monitors are 8ms. These are cheaper to manufacture than the above mentioned IPS panels. This is mostly due to the fact that these are 6-bit color panels; just like TN panels. This means that the panel itself can only truly display 256k colors. Using temporal dithering (Advanced Frame Rate Control or A-FRC) the colors are blended together to create around 16m colors. E-IPS panels offers better viewing angles than TN panels, but not as good as more expensive IPS panels. Due to the use of temporal dithering there will be color banding issues from time to time, but they seem to occur less often than for TN panels.
Score
July 16, 2011 10:19:54 PM

So other than better viewing angle, what advantages are there for IPS? and can there be IPS LED-LCDs or IPS LCDs or what? and how bout VA? What is TN anyway?
Score
a c 365 U Graphics card
July 16, 2011 10:40:31 PM

reaper2794 said:

I

"LED-LCD" is simply a LCD panel with LED backlight rather than CCFL (florescent) backlight. LED backlight monitors are all edge lit. While this means the monitor itself can be thinner and lighter and use less electricity, there tends to be more instances of backlight bleeding around the edges and less overall consistent backlighting compared to CCFL backlight which is a full array backlight. Additionally, the light emitted by "LED-LCD" is not true white. They use blue LEDs that have a yellow phosphorus coating which imitates white. This is why some people say that colors look a bit bluish in "LED monitors". The exception would be RGB-LCD which use Red, Green and Blue LEDs to create white and they are a full array backlight. However, RGB-LED backlight are only used in professional level IPS panel monitors for graphic artists and generally carries a price tag of over $2,000.

All consumer level IPS panel monitors with LED backlight are e-IPS panels. If you want a H-IPS, S-IPS or P-IPS panel with LED backlight, then you must step up to a professional level monitor which uses RGB-LED. I don't know of any VA panels that have LED backlighting except maybe in the professional level monitors.

IPS panels tend to have up to 1000:1 static contrast ratio which is the true measure of contrast for LCD monitors. Dynamic contrast ratios which can have ridiculously large numbers like 1,000,000:1 is not the true measure of contrast. Those large numbers look impressive, but it's mostly just "advertising".

TN panels also have up to 1000:1 static contrast ratio, but they generally seem to be slightly overstated.

VA panels generally have up to 3000:1 static contrast ratio. The really good ones can have up to 4000:1. What this means is that different colors tones can be noticed especially with very dark tones. IPS and TN panel monitors then to have "black crush" issues due to the lower static contrast ratio. This means that on a VA panel you can tell difference between extreme dark grey and black. On an IPS or TN panel both colors are "crushed" down to simply appearing to be black.

VA panels tends to have slightly narrower viewing angles than IPS panels even though both are advertised as having 178/178 degree viewing angle.

Score
July 16, 2011 10:43:11 PM

But what the hell is a VA panel? Whats its advantage over IPS?

The technical details are just numbers to me, I just need like a list of general differences and advantages, the numbers dont really help me much, theyre appreciated, but theyre not what Im looking for
Score
a c 365 U Graphics card
July 16, 2011 10:52:42 PM

reaper2794 said:
So other than better viewing angle, what advantages are there for IPS? and can there be IPS LED-LCDs or IPS LCDs or what? and how bout VA? What is TN anyway?

TN panel monitors represents that vast majority of monitors sold because they are cheap to manufacture and can be sold at a low price. All TN panel monitors are 6-bit color. As I explained in a prior post, this means only 256k actual colors can be created, and it is necessary to use temporal dithering to create an estimate 16m colors. This can lead to some color banding issues and some image artifacts from time to time.

TN panels tends to have the fastest response times of 2ms or 5ms. However, they have the worst viewing angles and not very accurate colors. But most people who would buy a TN panel monitor doesn't have color accuracy high on their wish list.
Score
July 16, 2011 10:53:28 PM

What does TN stand for, what is VA...
Score
a c 365 U Graphics card
July 16, 2011 10:55:59 PM

reaper2794 said:
But what the hell is a VA panel? Whats its advantage over IPS?

The technical details are just numbers to me, I just need like a list of general differences and advantages, the numbers dont really help me much, theyre appreciated, but theyre not what Im looking for

I explained the general difference in my 2nd post. This is my 4th post in this thread.

To repeat, VA monitors do not suffer from "black crush". But they do have slightly low viewing angles than IPS panels (excluding e-IPS).
Score
a c 365 U Graphics card
July 16, 2011 10:57:50 PM

IPS = In Plane Switching

TN = Twisted Nematic

VA = Vertical Alignment
Score
July 16, 2011 11:02:48 PM

So I would assume VA and IPS use different technologies then, or are they the same technology but built differently

I know the diff between CCFL and LED and stuff
Score
a c 365 U Graphics card
July 16, 2011 11:10:12 PM

IPS, TN and VA are all different tech with their own advantages and disadvantages.

The disadvantages of VA were not discussed in my prior posts. Basically they are:

1. Slow response times. 8ms being the fastest.
2. More expensive to manufacture than TN panels, but not as expensive as IPS panels can be.

For the record, I use H-IPS panel monitors (NEC and Planar listed below in my sig) for everything including playing games. I have a TN panel monitor (Asus VK246H), but I generally hate TN panel monitors and I intend on replacing it with a $500 - $700 H-IPS panel monitor next year even though it will only be used 4 - 6 hours per month.
Score
!