Using Ipaq 2210 to connect to internet over bluetooth

Last response: in Technologies
June 30, 2004 5:18:03 PM

I have managed to get to a screen on the Ipaq which says Network Log On.

I have no idea what the details are. Have tried entering nothing and
entering my Windows logon details but none work and it just says connecting
all the time.

Any guide to setting it up would be helpful. I remember seeing one on the
web somewhere but can't find it via google.

Thanks in advance

Regards

tHatDudeUK
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 5:59:51 PM

"tHatDudeUK" <randomcharsforspammers@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I have managed to get to a screen on the Ipaq which says Network Log On.

It says

Connecting to: BT Network Access
Using: Bluetooth Null Modem
Dialling: Connect
July 1, 2004 11:19:43 AM

> "tHatDudeUK" <randomcharsforspammers@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > I have managed to get to a screen on the Ipaq which says Network Log On.
>
> It says
>
> Connecting to: BT Network Access
> Using: Bluetooth Null Modem
> Dialling: Connect

Don't enter anything there. Just check the box "Remember password" and OK.

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
July 1, 2004 11:19:44 AM

"Mauricio Freitas" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> Don't enter anything there. Just check the box "Remember password" and OK.

Weird thing is sometimes it works ok and doesn't ask this, then all of a
sudden it starts going weird and asks.

Seems to disconnect occasionally even though I have good signal quality etc.
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 3:12:51 PM

> "Mauricio Freitas" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> > Don't enter anything there. Just check the box "Remember password" and
OK.

> Weird thing is sometimes it works ok and doesn't ask this, then all of a
> sudden it starts going weird and asks.
>
> Seems to disconnect occasionally even though I have good signal quality
etc.

It could be a problem on the Pocket PC registry, not having the correct keys
to hold the info? Do you know if this connects ok, until you soft reset,
then the first connection asks for the credentials?

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
July 3, 2004 1:40:42 AM

> It could be a problem on the Pocket PC registry, not having the correct
keys
> to hold the info? Do you know if this connects ok, until you soft reset,
> then the first connection asks for the credentials?

Sorry not sure what you mean.

I got it working now and did the save password thing. It still disconnects
randomly sometimes. I'm not sure what's causing it but it's very annoying.
Especially when streaming audio or something.

The H2210 is new and I have applied all latest updates I can find, so I
think the problem is at the PC end.

I'm using an MSI USB bluetooth dongle wih the 1.4.2 build 10 drivers. Will
check for an update on drivers now and see what I can do.
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 1:44:37 PM

> "Mauricio Freitas" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> > It could be a problem on the Pocket PC registry, not having the correct
> keys
> > to hold the info? Do you know if this connects ok, until you soft reset,
> > then the first connection asks for the credentials?
>
> Sorry not sure what you mean.
>
> I got it working now and did the save password thing. It still disconnects
> randomly sometimes. I'm not sure what's causing it but it's very annoying.
> Especially when streaming audio or something.
>
> The H2210 is new and I have applied all latest updates I can find, so I
> think the problem is at the PC end.
>
> I'm using an MSI USB bluetooth dongle wih the 1.4.2 build 10 drivers. Will
> check for an update on drivers now and see what I can do.

1.4.2 is quite current. Don't bother. Make sure you uncheck the Power
Management box in the USB controllers (Windows Key + Break to access the
System Properties). They tend to sleep, even when in use...

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
July 3, 2004 1:44:38 PM

"Mauricio Freitas" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
news:D HkFc.5839$NA1.552811@news02.tsnz.net...
> 1.4.2 is quite current. Don't bother. Make sure you uncheck the Power
> Management box in the USB controllers (Windows Key + Break to access the
> System Properties). They tend to sleep, even when in use...

I changed that and it still disconnected

I input DNS servers into the blutooth TCP/IP properties (nothing was there
before) and have just left it running as a test playing 128k streaming audio
and it's been going for 177 minutes no probs. This has been near the PC tho
so I dunno if my probs before were proximity problems.

Many thanks for your help.
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 12:47:24 AM

> I input DNS servers into the blutooth TCP/IP properties (nothing was there
> before) and have just left it running as a test playing 128k streaming
audio
> and it's been going for 177 minutes no probs. This has been near the PC
tho
> so I dunno if my probs before were proximity problems.

Right, the plot thickens. I think the problem is the PDA. Happens when using
Pocket IE. I got an error message trying to start the bluetooth manager
saying there wasn't enough free memory to start the bluetooth device. My
guess is that using PIE removes memory or stops bluetooth getting the memory
it needs somehow. I guess the only solution is to free up memory.
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 3:17:45 PM

> "tHatDudeUK" <randomcharsforspammers@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > I input DNS servers into the blutooth TCP/IP properties (nothing was
there
> > before) and have just left it running as a test playing 128k streaming
> audio
> > and it's been going for 177 minutes no probs. This has been near the PC
> tho
> > so I dunno if my probs before were proximity problems.
>
> Right, the plot thickens. I think the problem is the PDA. Happens when
using
> Pocket IE. I got an error message trying to start the bluetooth manager
> saying there wasn't enough free memory to start the bluetooth device. My
> guess is that using PIE removes memory or stops bluetooth getting the
memory
> it needs somehow. I guess the only solution is to free up memory.

Have a look at this review:

Pocket Internet Explorer uses 17MB by default as cache!

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
July 4, 2004 3:17:46 PM

> Have a look at this review:
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2977
>
> Pocket Internet Explorer uses 17MB by default as cache!

That's quite big considering the device only has 64mb and most is already
used. Looks like this app is worth getting..

Thanks for all you help.
!