streckfus

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
I recently built a new PC (my third or fourth one) and after some minor mishaps during the Windows installation, I finally got everything up and running.

EVGA Z68 FTW mobo
EVGA GTX 570 HD video
Intel i7 2600K CPU
16GB (4x4GB) G. Skill Ripjaws DDR3 2133
Intel 520 SSD

The system ran like a champ, absolutely no problems, for three weeks. Then I came home from work one day and saw a blue screen of death stating "Physical Memory Dump". When I restarted the system, the motherboard stalled at the first logo and wouldn't POST. I couldn't get into the BIOS, nothing. Just that stinkin' logo!

I called EVGA and they had me run several tests...disconnecting all drives/USB/peripheral devices; resetting the CMOS, etc. and each time it still stalled on the first logo, no POST. They told me to remove all RAM sticks and try starting with only one at a time, no go. They asked me to check the CPU for any bent pins and the board itself for any visible problems; CPU & Board looked absolutely pristine.

SO. They said it could be a faulty board so I set up an RMA and returned it. They haven't shipped a replacement yet, but HOPEFULLY a new board will cure the problem, but I do have a few questions:

If it was a defective board, why would it work right away, then just die after three weeks? You'd think a lemon would be DOA, but this thing ran fine.

If - and let's hope this ISN'T the case - the problem is NOT with the board and I get the same issue when I install the replacement, what else could be causing this?

If the CPU was fried, the board wouldn't even power up to the logo, would it? And if it was the memory, I find it hard to believe that all 4 sticks would be defective, especially since everything worked for a few weeks.

I've searched the net and people who've received a Physical Memory Dump error have been advised to run some diagnostics tests through Windows...the problem is that I can't even enter BIOS, let alone boot to Windows.

I'm probably just being paranoid, but this is the first time I've had any serious issues with a custom build, and I'm hoping someone can give me some insight as to what might be going on if the problem isn't with the board.

Thanks.

it was probably the motherboard. if you ask me in the first place, you should have gotten a board from gigabyte or asus but now its irrelevant

also, try running your ram at 1600mhz just incase if you see the problem again. not to mention 2133mhz memory breaks your warranty

streckfus

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

Well, my previous board was an EVGA and I had zero problems with it, so that's what I went with.

Why would 2133 memory void any warranties? I'm not overclocking anything.

well intel only specs their memory controller to be run at 1600mhz tops. anything higher would be not recommended therefore if the ram causes problems to the CPU, intel wont cover anything.

also running memory that requires 1.65v would also be voiding since intel memory controller rates their memory to only be at 1.5v max. anything above would result in the same thing

not to mention running ram above 1600 is useless. no performance increase

streckfus

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Gotcha. When I listed 2133 for the RAM speed, it was solely for the particular model of RAM I had purchased. I didn't customize any of the memory setting in the BIOS, so I would assume that it defaulted to 1.5v/1600?

streckfus

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
So does that mean I could've fried my CPU instead of just getting a faulty mobo? I can't imagine the EVGA motherboard logo would display on my monitor through my video card if the CPU was shot...

Hopefully my new mobo will post, and if so, I'll make sure I look at the BIOS memory settings. Since I've never done any sort of overclocking I never mess with the BIOS unless it's setting my boot devices.

streckfus

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Okay, that's reassuring.

Should I be looking to get a different type of RAM, or will my current stuff still be fine & stable as long as I set it to 1.5V and 1333? Or is it fine to set the speed to 1600?

streckfus

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
I received the replacement board today. Hooked everything up. SAME DAMN THING.

Stalls on the logo, won't POST, can't go into BIOS.

Is it possible that ALL 4 of my RAM sticks are toast?? And again, I can't imagine that the logo would even show up if the CPU was shot, because some processing is required to route the logo/display from the board to the video card, correct?

streckfus

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Well, WTF.

Got off the phone with EVGA and they had me do the same stuff again, but this time it actually went through POST when I did a barebones boot. After reconnecting devices one at a time, it turns out that POST fails whenever I have my USB hub/printer plugged in.

There don't appear to be any problems when I plug the USB cable into my other machine, so who knows.

Doesn't really explain why I would've gotten that memory dump in the first place or why a barebones boot didn't work on that other board, but I guess I won't borrow any trouble.

Everything seems to be fine now...I'll take it.

Thanks for the help.

TRENDING THREADS