vgsmart

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
So I had previously posted a 1k build I was about to make when an unexpected expense ruined my brilliant plan... and maybe that's a good thing.

I've decided to go about building a rig in a different way: I plan on taking the next 37 days to complete all purchases by watching the various sales and taking advantage of any great offer. After about 5 weeks if I will purchase whatever missing components I can find.

For starters I picked up the Sunbeam EVO case and a Galaxy 570 card. We'll see after one month of sale-watching if it is worth the hassle :) I'll keep this updated for everyone.

EVO Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811166055
$29.99
(Reason: 30 dollar case with good reviews, good style, and I have a spare fan I can pop into it. This beat out spending ~60 on a Rosewill case)

Galaxy GTX 570: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162075
$263.99 via Superbiiz with coupon SIZZLE (-$15).
(Reason: Save myself the hassle and minimal risk of unlocking a 6950)

Items still required:
PSU
Memory (4-8 gigs)
Motherboard (z68)
HDD (7200, 1 TB min)
SDD (60 gig min, 120 preferred, SATA2 min)
Processor (I5 2500k)
CD Drive (I could cannibalize one too, but they're cheap enough)
CPU Fan

Suggestions and any great deals you see are welcomed! I'll try to calculate savings as I go, but it will be hard to do. Comparing an unlocked and OCed 6950 to a 570 is kinda impossible. All prices are after shipping.

vgsmart

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Well, the point is I thought it would be an interesting experiment. Time vs. value and all that. Plus it gives me a reason to stay on top of it and not get lazy :)

As for the case. I think it will be fine actually. I believe I can get the airflow needed to keep that GPU cool and if not... well, it's only 30 bucks and some time wasted. I had considered the Antec modular case for 99... but really what the hell do I need that for? It's a 70 dollar case for 30 vs. getting a 70-80 dollar case for 50-60.

We'll see- I'll do my best to give this new case a fair shake and review.