Noob looking to build a good gaming rig

outcast719

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Hello, already purchased case and mobo.
case antec df-30
mobo asrock z68 extreme4 gen3
cpu i was thinking i5 2500k
need an idea of good video cards for under $250,good cheap PSUs,and in general any good advice

first of all you posted in the wrong section.

hardware > systems .... is where most people ask for new build advice.

---

personally i'd go with an i7 if you can as the prices are quite reasonable. though if you want an i5, that is an okay processor as well. i never got into the upper levels of cpus (as you can overclock if you REALLY need the headroom). i have an i7-920.

i personally have a gtx470 which was around the $300 price point over a year ago. you need to decide if you want nvidia or ati/amd. personally i hate ati/amd drivers so i stick with nvidia. check out the toms hardware charts for specifics on graphic card power.

you do not want to cheap-out when it comes to power supplies. if you buy a piece of junk and it fails on you, it could take your entire system with it (possibility of it at least). i know the corsair power supplies seem to get good reviews (i have the 1000w). as far as "good AND cheap" power supplies then there really is only one choice: sparkle power/fortron source (fsp) which i believe are the same company. its a cheap taiwanese psu but remarkably stable for the price. i have one that is over 6 years old.