Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Older Canon digital cam for EF lenses?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:29:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hi all,

I'm a complete digital camera novice, but have been using my Canon EOS
35mm camera for a bunch of years. I'd like to get a digital body for
use with my EF lenses, and in order to keep it as cheap as possible I'd
love to find something used.

I've been using my 35mm and a scanner, but I'd like a process that is
quicker since I'll be doing this often. I'll be taking indoor pictures
of some machined metal pieces that are fairly reflective.

I know the new Canon cameras can use my lenses and I assume older ones
can as well, but not knowing diddly about Canon's old line, I don't
know what to look for on the used market. Can anyone give me some
recommendations about some models to look for?

For that matter is it a bad idea to look for a used camera given that I
don't know about what to be carefull?

Regards,

Peter
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 7:32:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

There should be lots of 300ds around soon...




<pgrey@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:1112401770.676371.41730@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a complete digital camera novice, but have been using my Canon EOS
> 35mm camera for a bunch of years. I'd like to get a digital body for
> use with my EF lenses, and in order to keep it as cheap as possible I'd
> love to find something used.
>
> I've been using my 35mm and a scanner, but I'd like a process that is
> quicker since I'll be doing this often. I'll be taking indoor pictures
> of some machined metal pieces that are fairly reflective.
>
> I know the new Canon cameras can use my lenses and I assume older ones
> can as well, but not knowing diddly about Canon's old line, I don't
> know what to look for on the used market. Can anyone give me some
> recommendations about some models to look for?
>
> For that matter is it a bad idea to look for a used camera given that I
> don't know about what to be carefull?
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter
>
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 8:35:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

pgrey@earthlink.net wrote:

> I know the new Canon cameras can use my lenses and I assume older ones
> can as well, but not knowing diddly about Canon's old line, I don't
> know what to look for on the used market. Can anyone give me some
> recommendations about some models to look for?

Any EOS-series cameras, film or digital, should work with any EF-series
lens. Certain aftermarket lenses are known to have issues with EOS
digital cameras, but you're sticking with Canon lenses, there should be
no problems.

The original Digital Rebel/300D is dropping in price now that the
RebelXT/350D is out, and you'll probably see more showing up used as
well. Same goes for the 10D now that the 20D has been out a while.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 9:53:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
news:6ip3e.870946$Xk.851103@pd7tw3no...
>
> The original Digital Rebel/300D is dropping in price now that the
> RebelXT/350D is out, and you'll probably see more showing up used as well.
> Same goes for the 10D now that the 20D has been out a while.

Thanks. Are the 30D and 60D worth considering if I can get them at a decent
price?

Peter
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 9:53:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Peter Grey" <pgrey@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:grq3e.2012$EE2.1904@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
> news:6ip3e.870946$Xk.851103@pd7tw3no...
>>
>> The original Digital Rebel/300D is dropping in price now that the
>> RebelXT/350D is out, and you'll probably see more showing up used as
>> well. Same goes for the 10D now that the 20D has been out a while.
>
> Thanks. Are the 30D and 60D worth considering if I can get them at a
> decent price?
>
> Peter
>
I paid $400 for an absolutely mint D30 a year and a half ago, and had a
blast with it until I got my 20D in Sept. (Almost on the anniversary of
getting the D30, coincidentally.) I got some very good images that enlarge
to 8x10 quite well. The only thing where it comes up short of newer
cameras, besides the obvious resolution, is its rendition of red. I have a
couple of shots of classically red Ferraris that look like they were painted
with tomato soup...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
April 2, 2005 12:09:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Dirty Harry" <NOJUNK@FU.ca> wrote in message
news:Qmo3e.873428$6l.666059@pd7tw2no...
> There should be lots of 300ds around soon...
>
Why??? The RebelXT (350D) doesn't make the Rebel (300D) less of a camera
than it was when it was introduced. There are millions of Rebel users that
are happy with their dSLR. Used value make keep lots off the market. As the
person who wanted a 300D a year ago bought it for around CDN $1500, I can
sell a factory refurbished 300D for CDN $800, or a brand new one at CDN $950
(both with kit lens) so what does that do to used values? Using 65%
(generous) means a clean used 300D would sell for CDN $500. Even though I
sell cameras, I haven't seen a huge rush of people trying to trade-in or
sell their 300D to get a 350D. The 350D is selling very well, particularily
the black versions. The average consumer around here tends to keep their
cameras longer. My experience tells me there will be more 300D on the used
market when the Canon 400D shows up, as I have noted a skip a model in the
upgrade path.
April 2, 2005 12:12:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Peter Grey" <pgrey@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:grq3e.2012$EE2.1904@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
> news:6ip3e.870946$Xk.851103@pd7tw3no...
> >
> > The original Digital Rebel/300D is dropping in price now that the
> > RebelXT/350D is out, and you'll probably see more showing up used as
well.
> > Same goes for the 10D now that the 20D has been out a while.
>
> Thanks. Are the 30D and 60D worth considering if I can get them at a
decent
> price?
>
Given the choice? I would take the D60 over the D30. Both are ok, but given
the choice...
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 2:31:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <grq3e.2012$EE2.1904@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Peter Grey <pgrey@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>"Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
>news:6ip3e.870946$Xk.851103@pd7tw3no...
>>
>> The original Digital Rebel/300D is dropping in price now that the
>> RebelXT/350D is out, and you'll probably see more showing up used as well.
>> Same goes for the 10D now that the 20D has been out a while.
>
>Thanks. Are the 30D and 60D worth considering if I can get them at a decent
>price?

The D60 will give you results comparable with a 10D, which is still a
competitive camera today, even though it's technically obsolete. The main
benefit of the 10D is the better autofocus system, so the D60 is well worth
considering, as long as you don't want to shoot dark indoor scenes lots (the
AF will hunt).

As for the D30, this was my first digital camera, and I have a lot of fond
memories of it. It's a little low on pixels by today's standards, but can
still produce a decent looking A4 print. If you're used to squeezing every
last drop of resolution out of slow E6 film in 35mm, you may find the D30 a
bit disappointing. If you are happy with 35mm C41 film, you should be OK
with a D30. The only thing I'd warn you about with the D30 is that it
predates Canon working out how to do really long exposures with low noise,
so if you want something for night shooting, don't look at anything older
than a D60.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 7:30:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Are you certain you want a dSLR?Because I, had a slr for the past 15 years
and now have a point-and-shoot, Kodak CX 7300, which I find very convenient,
in contrast to carrying 10 kilos of equipment.IMHO you should better get a
cheaper, new camera, than a more expensive and used.Nobody is selling a
camera he still likes;either he doesn't like it, or it has a
glitch/malfunction (maybe mishandling?)and he wants to get rid of it.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering, freelance electrician
FH von Iraklion-Kreta, freiberuflicher Elektriker
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
? <pgrey@earthlink.net> ?????? ??? ??????
news:1112401770.676371.41730@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a complete digital camera novice, but have been using my Canon EOS
> 35mm camera for a bunch of years. I'd like to get a digital body for
> use with my EF lenses, and in order to keep it as cheap as possible I'd
> love to find something used.
>
> I've been using my 35mm and a scanner, but I'd like a process that is
> quicker since I'll be doing this often. I'll be taking indoor pictures
> of some machined metal pieces that are fairly reflective.
>
> I know the new Canon cameras can use my lenses and I assume older ones
> can as well, but not knowing diddly about Canon's old line, I don't
> know what to look for on the used market. Can anyone give me some
> recommendations about some models to look for?
>
> For that matter is it a bad idea to look for a used camera given that I
> don't know about what to be carefull?
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter
>
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 8:09:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 05:53:16 GMT, in
<grq3e.2012$EE2.1904@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>, "Peter Grey"
<pgrey@earthlink.net> said:

>
>"Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
>news:6ip3e.870946$Xk.851103@pd7tw3no...
>>
>> The original Digital Rebel/300D is dropping in price now that the
>> RebelXT/350D is out, and you'll probably see more showing up used as well.
>> Same goes for the 10D now that the 20D has been out a while.
>
>Thanks. Are the 30D and 60D worth considering if I can get them at a decent
>price?

If the resolution is adequate for your needs, definitely, & you should
be able to get them at bargain-basement prices too.

--
W
. | ,. w , "Some people are alive only because
\|/ \|/ it is illegal to kill them." Perna condita delenda est
---^----^---------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 8:17:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thanks for your help folks.

I appreciate it.

Peter
<pgrey@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:1112401770.676371.41730@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a complete digital camera novice, but have been using my Canon EOS
> 35mm camera for a bunch of years. I'd like to get a digital body for
> use with my EF lenses, and in order to keep it as cheap as possible I'd
> love to find something used.
>
> I've been using my 35mm and a scanner, but I'd like a process that is
> quicker since I'll be doing this often. I'll be taking indoor pictures
> of some machined metal pieces that are fairly reflective.
>
> I know the new Canon cameras can use my lenses and I assume older ones
> can as well, but not knowing diddly about Canon's old line, I don't
> know what to look for on the used market. Can anyone give me some
> recommendations about some models to look for?
>
> For that matter is it a bad idea to look for a used camera given that I
> don't know about what to be carefull?
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter
>
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 8:20:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Lionel" <nop@alt.net> wrote in message news:D 2lcpq$fu9$4@pita.alt.net...

>>> Same goes for the 10D now that the 20D has been out a while.
>>
>>Thanks. Are the 30D and 60D worth considering if I can get them at a
>>decent
>>price?
>
> If the resolution is adequate for your needs, definitely, & you should
> be able to get them at bargain-basement prices too.

Any suggestions for sources? The 30D and 60Ds I've seen for sale or auction
all seem to be going for around $400 which isn't wnough less than a a new
300D to warrant not buying the new camera.

Peter
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 9:22:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 1 Apr 2005 16:29:30 -0800, pgrey@earthlink.net wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm a complete digital camera novice, but have been using my Canon EOS
>35mm camera for a bunch of years. I'd like to get a digital body for
>use with my EF lenses, and in order to keep it as cheap as possible I'd
>love to find something used.
>
>I've been using my 35mm and a scanner, but I'd like a process that is
>quicker since I'll be doing this often. I'll be taking indoor pictures
>of some machined metal pieces that are fairly reflective.
>
>I know the new Canon cameras can use my lenses and I assume older ones
>can as well, but not knowing diddly about Canon's old line, I don't
>know what to look for on the used market. Can anyone give me some
>recommendations about some models to look for?
>
>For that matter is it a bad idea to look for a used camera given that I
>don't know about what to be carefull?
>
>Regards,
>
>Peter
Go to Ebay and search for Canon D30/D60/10D and watch for a couple of
weeks to get an idea what these are selling for. Decide what you can
afford and go for it. You will not be dissapointed with the results
you can achieve with any of these digital EOS models, the all take
your EF lenses. Good luck
eric phillips
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 4:01:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Darrell" <dev/null> wrote in message
news:586dnY5Fcdw2BNPfRVn-iA@rogers.com...
>
> "Dirty Harry" <NOJUNK@FU.ca> wrote in message
> news:Qmo3e.873428$6l.666059@pd7tw2no...
> > There should be lots of 300ds around soon...
> >
> Why??? The RebelXT (350D) doesn't make the Rebel (300D) less of a camera
> than it was when it was introduced. There are millions of Rebel users that
> are happy with their dSLR. Used value make keep lots off the market. As
the
> person who wanted a 300D a year ago bought it for around CDN $1500, I can
> sell a factory refurbished 300D for CDN $800, or a brand new one at CDN
$950
> (both with kit lens) so what does that do to used values? Using 65%
> (generous) means a clean used 300D would sell for CDN $500. Even though I
> sell cameras, I haven't seen a huge rush of people trying to trade-in or
> sell their 300D to get a 350D. The 350D is selling very well,
particularily
> the black versions. The average consumer around here tends to keep their
> cameras longer. My experience tells me there will be more 300D on the used
> market when the Canon 400D shows up, as I have noted a skip a model in the
> upgrade path.

The shear number of 300d's sold means there is going to be more of them then
any other dslr in the used market. Pic up a bargin finder and look in the
camera section...
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 11:04:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 08:09:55 -0500, "Darrell" <dev/null> wrote:

>
>"Dirty Harry" <NOJUNK@FU.ca> wrote in message
>news:Qmo3e.873428$6l.666059@pd7tw2no...
>> There should be lots of 300ds around soon...
>>
>Why??? The RebelXT (350D) doesn't make the Rebel (300D) less of a camera
>than it was when it was introduced. There are millions of Rebel users that
>are happy with their dSLR. Used value make keep lots off the market. As the
>person who wanted a 300D a year ago bought it for around CDN $1500, I can
>sell a factory refurbished 300D for CDN $800, or a brand new one at CDN $950
>(both with kit lens) so what does that do to used values? Using 65%
>(generous) means a clean used 300D would sell for CDN $500. Even though I
>sell cameras, I haven't seen a huge rush of people trying to trade-in or
>sell their 300D to get a 350D. The 350D is selling very well, particularily
>the black versions. The average consumer around here tends to keep their
>cameras longer. My experience tells me there will be more 300D on the used
>market when the Canon 400D shows up, as I have noted a skip a model in the
>upgrade path.
>

Darrell,
I think you hit that nail almost perfectly. My Digital
Rebel/300D is now over a year old & I'm not only keeping it but I am
sitting out the latest upgrade options which included the 350D & the
20D.

My Digital Rebel/300D continues to meet may basic needs,
especially since "I" have learned to work around it's intentionally
omitted user selectable features that the other 2 DSLR don't have.
Depending on several factors I may also even sit out the next upgrade
offering as well.

Many here may find my concept of not feeling compelled to
upgrade my equipment when something better/newer comes along, backward
but I prefer to make the most of what I have until it no longer meets
my needs. Then hopefully I will have improved as a photographer &
when I do upgrade, the transition will be easier, much more effective
for me & with a shorter learning curve.

Technological advancements are great but some are driven more
by delivering a DSLR with the features that "most" people want, that
does "not" always equate to the best camera for all of us.

Respectfully, DHB

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President,
or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong,
is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 8:04:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message
news:nyr3e.2910$k57.823@fed1read07...
> "Peter Grey" <pgrey@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:grq3e.2012$EE2.1904@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>
>> "Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
>> news:6ip3e.870946$Xk.851103@pd7tw3no...
>>>
>>> The original Digital Rebel/300D is dropping in price now that the
>>> RebelXT/350D is out, and you'll probably see more showing up used as
>>> well. Same goes for the 10D now that the 20D has been out a while.
>>
>> Thanks. Are the 30D and 60D worth considering if I can get them at a
>> decent price?
>>
>> Peter
>>
> I paid $400 for an absolutely mint D30 a year and a half ago, and had a
> blast with it until I got my 20D in Sept. (Almost on the anniversary of
> getting the D30, coincidentally.) I got some very good images that
> enlarge to 8x10 quite well. The only thing where it comes up short of
> newer cameras, besides the obvious resolution, is its rendition of red. I
> have a couple of shots of classically red Ferraris that look like they
> were painted with tomato soup...

Hi Skip

What RAW converter is that with?

Lester
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 9:44:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Lester Wareham" <nospam@please.co.uk> wrote in message
news:4263cc92$0$26335$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk...
>
> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:nyr3e.2910$k57.823@fed1read07...
>> "Peter Grey" <pgrey@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> news:grq3e.2012$EE2.1904@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>>
>>> "Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
>>> news:6ip3e.870946$Xk.851103@pd7tw3no...
>>>>
>>>> The original Digital Rebel/300D is dropping in price now that the
>>>> RebelXT/350D is out, and you'll probably see more showing up used as
>>>> well. Same goes for the 10D now that the 20D has been out a while.
>>>
>>> Thanks. Are the 30D and 60D worth considering if I can get them at a
>>> decent price?
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>
>> I paid $400 for an absolutely mint D30 a year and a half ago, and had a
>> blast with it until I got my 20D in Sept. (Almost on the anniversary of
>> getting the D30, coincidentally.) I got some very good images that
>> enlarge to 8x10 quite well. The only thing where it comes up short of
>> newer cameras, besides the obvious resolution, is its rendition of red.
>> I have a couple of shots of classically red Ferraris that look like they
>> were painted with tomato soup...
>
> Hi Skip
>
> What RAW converter is that with?
>
> Lester
>
Actually, that was with jpeg, mostly, 'cause converting RAW at that time was
so kludgy, the Zoombrowser was/is next to useless and Pshop7 only slightly
less so. DPP is better, but I've only used it with the 20D, not the D30.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 11:31:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message
news:p vY8e.56017$lz2.15215@fed1read07...
> "Lester Wareham" <nospam@please.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:4263cc92$0$26335$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk...
>>
>> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message
>> news:nyr3e.2910$k57.823@fed1read07...
>>> "Peter Grey" <pgrey@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> news:grq3e.2012$EE2.1904@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>>>
>>>> "Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:6ip3e.870946$Xk.851103@pd7tw3no...
>>>>>
>>>>> The original Digital Rebel/300D is dropping in price now that the
>>>>> RebelXT/350D is out, and you'll probably see more showing up used as
>>>>> well. Same goes for the 10D now that the 20D has been out a while.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks. Are the 30D and 60D worth considering if I can get them at a
>>>> decent price?
>>>>
>>>> Peter
>>>>
>>> I paid $400 for an absolutely mint D30 a year and a half ago, and had a
>>> blast with it until I got my 20D in Sept. (Almost on the anniversary of
>>> getting the D30, coincidentally.) I got some very good images that
>>> enlarge to 8x10 quite well. The only thing where it comes up short of
>>> newer cameras, besides the obvious resolution, is its rendition of red.
>>> I have a couple of shots of classically red Ferraris that look like they
>>> were painted with tomato soup...
>>
>> Hi Skip
>>
>> What RAW converter is that with?
>>
>> Lester
>>
> Actually, that was with jpeg, mostly, 'cause converting RAW at that time
> was so kludgy, the Zoombrowser was/is next to useless and Pshop7 only
> slightly less so. DPP is better, but I've only used it with the 20D, not
> the D30.
>
> --
> Skip Middleton
> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
>

I love the interface of DPP and use it in preference to EOSV.

How do you find the quality of DPP compared to other convertors?

Lester
!