Sign in with
Your question

I am seeking an exact awnser

Last response: in CPUs
December 18, 2011 3:56:33 AM

hi everyone, i am james! ive come to toms hardware for advice. i am 15 years old, and a little fanboy. yep. my old computer that my brother made, has run its last legs, the graphics card nvidia 9800gt burnt out, ill try baking it. but im gonna buy a new system anyway., and so i reckon ill get a new one from christmas, even though im poor as, i have 330$ NZ and ill get some more, anyway, ill be able to milk some from the folks, because yeah. anyway, i wanna use this computer for video editing sony vegas, and gaming. my screen is 1600x900 and 2xaa is fine by me, i wanna build my own computer, even though i have no experience doing so. the games i play are project reality ( a mod for battlefeild 2) try it, its good if you have patience, and they upped the graphics. black ops (yeah i know...) dragon age, skyrim, etc, and i wanna be able to use this thing for a good 2 years.

this computer has served me well. yeah.
so summed up, 1600x900 about 60fps on high settings. with 2xaa. eh, or lower.
and yep. thats all i want., dont need screen or mouse or that ***. sorted there, oh and i need 4 usb ports. ta.
does anyone have recommendations for some things i can get?
i pretty much want http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/desktops/no-monitor/..., with a graphics card. because onboard on the cpu is probably crap? thanks guys. i have no idea how to overclock, but i dont mind, and id prefer air cooling. i dont mind if its too loud, and OS isnt a problem, i have ways of obtaining it... yeah, im probably gonna be those come in 1nce and leave the forums people, but hey, if i make this computer, then ill start overclocking, and then ladadadada you have a active user. eh. have a nice christmas everyone! ;) 
yeah, so something along the range of 700-800$ us, i dont mind using my ddr2 ram at the moment or making compromises till i get the money, but ddr3 please ;P YUPPPP!!!

so give me some advice on what to get, cpu, gpu, mobo, etc. ta

More about : seeking exact awnser

a c 186 à CPUs
December 18, 2011 4:01:56 AM

i5-2500k, asrock z68 extreme 3. Cm hyper 212, radeon 6950
m
l
December 18, 2011 4:09:17 AM

thank you a muffin. thanks for helping out the noobs that you just wanna facepalm at. hah ;P
m
l
Related resources
a c 203 à CPUs
December 18, 2011 5:20:27 AM

OK, video editing generally means CUDA means and that means shopping for an Nvidia card. The 6950 and 560 Ti are the best bang for the buck and the factory overclocked models take that up a notch for little if any increase in cost. Comparing the factory OC's 6950 and 560 Ti, we see:

Guru3D uses the following games in their test suite, COD-MW, Bad Company 2, Dirt 2, Far Cry 2, Metro 2033, Dawn of Discovery, Crysis Warhead. Total fps (summing fps in each game @ 1920 x 1200) for the various options in parenthesis (single card / SL or CF) are tabulated below along with their cost in dollars per frame single card - CF or SLI:

$ 260.00 6950 Frozr OC (484/759) $ 0.54 - $ 0.69
$ 215.00 560 Ti - 900 Mhz (495/862) $ 0.43 - $ 0.50

Only the 570 and 580 officially support CUDA tho so ya gonna have to unlock it for ya video editing by using the technique here:

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5....

Looking at the build you picked, it's an older H61 chipset w/ on board GFX. Read bout chipset differences here:

http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/difference-between-h...

ya can't put DDR2 in a SB build

I'd shoot for an i5-2500k build w/ a SLI/CF capable MoBo (no need for Z68 as you'll see in link above) with a 3 year warranty, 8GB of Corsair low profile DDR3-1600 Vengeance, XFX Core Edition 750m or 850 and a Hyper 212 cooler.

m
l
December 18, 2011 7:53:16 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
OK, video editing generally means CUDA means and that means shopping for an Nvidia card. The 6950 and 560 Ti are the best bang for the buck and the factory overclocked models take that up a notch for little if any increase in cost. Comparing the factory OC's 6950 and 560 Ti, we see:

Guru3D uses the following games in their test suite, COD-MW, Bad Company 2, Dirt 2, Far Cry 2, Metro 2033, Dawn of Discovery, Crysis Warhead. Total fps (summing fps in each game @ 1920 x 1200) for the various options in parenthesis (single card / SL or CF) are tabulated below along with their cost in dollars per frame single card - CF or SLI:

$ 260.00 6950 Frozr OC (484/759) $ 0.54 - $ 0.69
$ 215.00 560 Ti - 900 Mhz (495/862) $ 0.43 - $ 0.50

Only the 570 and 580 officially support CUDA tho so ya gonna have to unlock it for ya video editing by using the technique here:

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5....

Looking at the build you picked, it's an older H61 chipset w/ on board GFX. Read bout chipset differences here:

http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/difference-between-h...

ya can't put DDR2 in a SB build

I'd shoot for an i5-2500k build w/ a SLI/CF capable MoBo (no need for Z68 as you'll see in link above) with a 3 year warranty, 8GB of Corsair low profile DDR3-1600 Vengeance, XFX Core Edition 750m or 850 and a Hyper 212 cooler.

ok im pretty set on the i5 2500k, that seems like the obvious choice via its oc/ capabilities and lots of people reccomend it.
since i will have a dedicated graphics card, the P67 because i could sli/crossfire that down the road, and 2500k overclocking abilities, which will allow me longer playability. thanks again for the detailed reply, musta put alot of time into this, actually im pretty sure ive seen that icon before when ive been on tomshardware.
anyway, the 560 Ti looks better value, and i think it is at stock speed? on the test? not sure. but the 6950 is overlocked, so you could probably get even more potential outta the 560. id say gaming first, then video editing.
so, i5-2500k,
intel P67 chipset/motherboard. if these arent the same thing.... hah.
hyper 212 cooler,
nvidia 560 Ti gfx
8gg, corsair ddr3 1600 vengance, (if its off budget i can upgrade later from 4- 8gb. ill 64 bit this then.
little unsure about the xfx core edition. the single rail thing won't be a problem? (and no wire gaurd or something)

also sorry about probably f**ing up quoting this.
m
l
a c 116 à CPUs
December 18, 2011 8:01:21 AM

350 au/nz dollar is about 200 pounds. your not gonna get an i5 for that.
in fact your not gonna get much more than you already have. consider upgrading your current broken setup. you may be able to get a cheap quad and a low end gfx card like a gtx 250.
m
l
December 18, 2011 8:13:45 AM

HEXiT said:
350 au/nz dollar is about 200 pounds. your not gonna get an i5 for that.
in fact your not gonna get much more than you already have. consider upgrading your current broken setup. you may be able to get a cheap quad and a low end gfx card like a gtx 250.

my current set up is,
gfx- Intel core 2 duo e6600 @ 2.4ghz (stock)- could oc?
fried 9800gt
gigabyte ga 965P-S3,
some *** ass ram haha thing is, my system is pretty old, about 5 years.
and i dont think the other components will last very long. hmm, maybe i could sell this computer for some buck. actually, i have a bit of stuff to sell, maybe ill get money for xmas, and sell some stuff, like this compound bow ive had sitting around, and i could get a new system? i gotta say though, the 9800gt has served me well, this thing has been a beast. preferably, i would like to buy another 9800gt for like 50 bucks, but then again its pretty old, ill probably get a preowned possibly baked one someones trying to sell. so maybe, temporary fix with a gfx card, then a new system that i was talking about? what do you think hexit, should i buy another 9800gt? hmm ill chuck cpu-z and get back to you with some more specs tommorow.
thanks for the reply hexit!
probably, id like to overclock the proccessor, get a possibly used gfx card, since im not gonna be using it long, and milk the crap outta what i have left, hah. because black ops and project reality are all i play atm.
m
l
December 18, 2011 8:15:02 AM

i wonder if this is sellable, this build i have now if i do the temporary fix, dont wanna rip someone off.
m
l
December 18, 2011 8:16:56 AM

but yeah the thing me and jacktaylor are talking about will defo probably be my next computer. just gotta work more and save. those are some good components.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2011 8:17:51 AM

perhaps you could look at the 6850 from amd a 5770 will show improvement but not as much as one would think hope for in an upgrade.

I have them both. 88gt and 5770
m
l
December 18, 2011 8:32:49 AM

hmmn, now im caught between a decent upgrade, or a replacement graphics card.
if i was to do a decent upgrade, i would get the 6850 which looks pretty beast, overclock cpu (hahaha lets hope i can) its intel core 2 duo, so its pretty o/c able, i think 3.2ghz would be ok, but might have to buy cooling and thats were it gets serious,
so pretty much, get 6850, oc cpu, (maybe buy cooling) it may destroy the cpu its kinda old, and buy some ddr2 ram, because my ram speed is slowed because i brought some slow ram so that bottlenecks my other ram. hmmn, lots of options. the thing im afraid of spentshells, is if i buy the 6850 and ram, and system overhaul, is if the other old components start failing. because i have brought these new components, then again, i could use the 6850 in my new rig, hmmn. by the way, watch the dust on you 8800, mine fried mine hah.
or i could just make by with a replacement, would a 5770 be a good replacement? can you buy new or preowned, do you thinnk i should buy new or preowned? thanks for your input! merry christmas :) 
m
l
December 18, 2011 8:37:04 AM

oh and for the 6850, my mobo can handle the 16 pins, not sure about psu.
m
l
!