wabbit_season

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
So I'm thinking about upgrading to a new computer. But before I do that, I'm wondering if my Dell XPS 630 can be upgraded at all? E.g., can the motherboard be changed for a new one? That is pretty much all I'm wondering at this point, because if that's the case then I can upgrade everything else without a hassle. I've just heard that Dell equipment is a pain to upgrade due to its proprietary parts and restrictions. Is upgrading this machine possible? The current MoBo is a Druid a00 i believe.

dependson the size of the case and if the mb they used was a stock atx or mini atx sized mb. a lot of times they use smaller then stock mb and trying to use a stock mb is trying to shoe horn it in. your better off using a newer standard atx case (40.00 like the antec one case). and pulling the drives and ram and cou out of the dell into a standard case. you also need to drop in a new power supply as dells are under sized.

wabbit_season

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
i think the case size is big enough. in regards to my psu, it is 750W so i feel that that is sufficient. k1114, i plan on upgrading the cpu and RAM as well as the mobo, i was just wondering if i could upgrade the motherboard without any proprietary issues. does anybody know the form factor of the druid mobo?

This article may help you: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/operation_upgrade_how_we_rebuilt_three_old_pcs_part_part

In The Upgrades section, they wrote "We also had to mind the Intel-style front-panel connector, which rules out any Asus board without doing some wiring surgery. " That's why they chose a Gigabyte motherboard.

TRENDING THREADS