EMERGENCY! please help. water spot on ccd and job TOMORROW

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 1, 2005 11:03:14 PM

I have a water spot on my ccd. i dont know how it got there, but its
about 1/8 inch in size on the bottom left.

It is a nikon D70.

will cleaning kits remove this?

what can i do... if cleaning kits will remove it i will get one
tomorrow, this one:

http://americanrecorder.com/...
....duct_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=153

thanks for ANY REPLIES.
PLEASE HELP.
i am panicked.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 11:21:43 PM

thanks bill,

there are two good camera stores in las vegas. i bought the camera at a
large chain (my big mistake) and tomorrow i am going to go to the
better of those two good camera stores and get a cleaning kit and some
advice. maybe even do it in the store with someone who has experience
in it.

but i am really pissed off to say the least.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 11:46:55 PM

"steven-c" <stevenjcampbell@gmail.com> writes:
> I have a water spot on my ccd. i dont know how it got there, but its
> about 1/8 inch in size on the bottom left.

If it's a professional job, use your backup camera. As a
professional, you're supposed to have at least one backup. If you
don't have a backup, buy one (you want another D70 anyway, and prices
are low now) and use it. Get your current D70 cleaned at a repair
center after the job is over.
April 2, 2005 12:06:11 AM

i do have a backup. but i will need to buy a larger card for that
camera (its what i used before the d70)

as an update, believe it or not it is barely noticable now. it seems
that as the area dried and as i used my blow bulb it has gone away a
little... you have to really look for it now to see it.

what a heart attack that was.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 1:11:30 AM

no, its water that has dried on the ccd. this probably happened at the
end of a "just for fun"shoot the other day when it was rainy and we
were near a little water fall.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 2:10:12 AM

Wait for someone who "knows what they're doing", to advise you! I'm sure it
can be cleaned, but I'm just as sure it can be destroyed, if not done
properly.

Bill Crocker

"steven-c" <stevenjcampbell@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a water spot on my ccd. i dont know how it got there, but its
> about 1/8 inch in size on the bottom left.
>
> It is a nikon D70.
>
> will cleaning kits remove this?
>
> what can i do... if cleaning kits will remove it i will get one
> tomorrow, this one:
>
> http://americanrecorder.com/...
> ...duct_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=153
>
> thanks for ANY REPLIES.
> PLEASE HELP.
> i am panicked.

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 3:08:18 AM

after that what did you do? were you able to get the ccd cleaned
without sending it away?
yeah, i got upset easilly.... i dont know DSLR is all. i am learning
fast.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 7:25:37 AM

Most likely this is a bit of dust on the low pass filter. Not uncommon
with digital SLR's. There is a procedure in the manual to clean the low
pass filter, but it it very easily damaged and if at all possible you
should take it in to an authorized Nikon service rep to clean it. If
you do this is it not a big deal. If you try it yourself and damage it,
it is a big deal.

Bill Crocker wrote:
> Wait for someone who "knows what they're doing", to advise you! I'm sure it
> can be cleaned, but I'm just as sure it can be destroyed, if not done
> properly.
>
> Bill Crocker
>

> "steven-c" <stevenjcampbell@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have a water spot on my ccd. i dont know how it got there, but its
>>about 1/8 inch in size on the bottom left.
>>
>>It is a nikon D70.
>>
>>will cleaning kits remove this?
>>
>>what can i do... if cleaning kits will remove it i will get one
>>tomorrow, this one:
>>
>>http://americanrecorder.com/...
>>...duct_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=153
>>
>>thanks for ANY REPLIES.
>>PLEASE HELP.
>>i am panicked.

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 9:07:29 AM

cleaning the ccd doesnt require taking the camera apart. you just use
the mirror lock up and that gives access to the sensor.

but either way its risky i guess.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 2:31:49 PM

In article <1112410994.634285.17520@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
steven-c <stevenjcampbell@gmail.com> wrote:

>thanks for ANY REPLIES.
>PLEASE HELP.
>i am panicked.

If you can't get rid of it, and it shows up on your photos, just use healing
brush in Photoshop. Nothing to panic about.

If this bothers you, don't ever try film scanning. ;->
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 7:25:50 PM

IMHO you should never, ever try to disassemble your camera on your own.I did
this with a (out of order) camera, and found it was impossible to reassemble
again.It was a minolta freedom II, a film camera, a dslr must be 100 times
that complicated.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
? "steven-c" <stevenjcampbell@gmail.com> ?????? ??? ??????
> I have a water spot on my ccd. i dont know how it got there, but its
> about 1/8 inch in size on the bottom left.
>
> It is a nikon D70.
>
> will cleaning kits remove this?
>
> what can i do... if cleaning kits will remove it i will get one
> tomorrow, this one:
>
> http://americanrecorder.com/...
> ...duct_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=153
>
> thanks for ANY REPLIES.
> PLEASE HELP.
> i am panicked.

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 7:25:51 PM

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:25:50 +0300, Dimitrios Tzortzakakis wrote:

> IMHO you should never, ever try to disassemble your camera on your own.I did
> this with a (out of order) camera, and found it was impossible to reassemble
> again.It was a minolta freedom II, a film camera, a dslr must be 100 times
> that complicated.

SLR's actually tend to be less complicated due to their more modular
design compared to point-and-shoot camera's. Besides, the D70 actually has
a feature to lock up the mirror and give access to the sensor.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 7:25:51 PM

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 15:25:50 +0300, in rec.photo.digital , "Dimitrios
Tzortzakakis" <use@address.below> in <d2m37j$1t1$1@usenet.otenet.gr>
wrote:

>IMHO you should never, ever try to disassemble your camera on your own.I did
>this with a (out of order) camera, and found it was impossible to reassemble
>again.It was a minolta freedom II, a film camera, a dslr must be 100 times
>that complicated.

If you have two cameras, use one to document the process. I used to
take (poor quality) notes when I unassembled things. Not I take
pictures and have a path to repair.

--
Matt Silberstein

April 3, 2005 3:55:27 AM

"Matt Silberstein" <RemoveThisPrefixmatts2nospam@ix.netcom.com> wrote in
message news:027t419q9l14t9p5m0idh92ppldh1b1h1j@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 15:25:50 +0300, in rec.photo.digital , "Dimitrios
> Tzortzakakis" <use@address.below> in <d2m37j$1t1$1@usenet.otenet.gr>
> wrote:
>
>>IMHO you should never, ever try to disassemble your camera on your own.I
>>did
>>this with a (out of order) camera, and found it was impossible to
>>reassemble
>>again.It was a minolta freedom II, a film camera, a dslr must be 100 times
>>that complicated.
>
> If you have two cameras, use one to document the process. I used to
> take (poor quality) notes when I unassembled things. Not I take
> pictures and have a path to repair.

You don't have to take anything apart to clean the sensor on a D70. Take
the lens off, lock up the mirror, as per the instructions for cleaning the
sensor, and use one of the methods that seems to work. Start with a blower,
then you have to make a decision as to whether you want to use a special
brush or a Pec Pad and a special cleaning solution to clean the sensor. All
methods are well documented on the Net, and many people have used them with
success. If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself you should take
it to an authorized service center.

Trying to figure out how water would get in there, unless you were changing
lenses at the time.
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 5:33:52 AM

yes i was changing lenses at the time i am afraid.
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 3:42:44 PM

> yes i was changing lenses at the time i am afraid.

Don't be afraid. That's why you got a DSLR. Just use precautions, like
turning the open camera body away from the water spray, or whatever else
might be blowing around. Dirt is just a way of life with DSLR's, so let
gravity help you. When changing lenses turn the camera lens mount down when
changing lenses. Also, don't leave the lens off for too long. If you like
to clean your lenses before you put them on, clean the new lens before you
take the old one off, and clean the old one after the new one is on. Use
lens and body caps if necessary, but don't be paranoid about it. You will
get some dust, and you will learn to deal with it.

Unfortunately, unlike a 35mm camera, you can't just open the thing and blast
it with compressed air.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 8:43:04 PM

No I tossed it out. Long story, but I shoot from a wheelchair-was trying to
get across a creek. Slipped and my D-70 went for a swim...I couldn't get to
it. A friend got it a couple of days later. However my wide angle lens was
still ok...So I now keep cameras in a water proof bag...If I'm going to be
in the situation. Many things you will run into with camera's..You learn to
never shoot without a protective filter, don't lend a camera to anyone,
never use a lens cleaning cloth more than once...And for me...Pack light. If
at all possible. Perhaps more than anything...Take the right camera for the
shoot. But always have at least one backup. Gees my best backup is not
digital-rather a Pentax K-1000...Damn best camera ever built.

--
_________________-
BOCH
> after that what did you do? were you able to get the ccd cleaned
> without sending it away?
> yeah, i got upset easilly.... i dont know DSLR is all. i am learning
> fast.

April 4, 2005 9:08:29 PM

In message <s8e4e.9741$Fh4.2186@fe2.columbus.rr.com>
"Boch" <pboch@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> Long story, but I shoot from a wheelchair

Ditto, and ditto. ;)

It sure make for different perspective. RE those pesky spots... in
SoCal there are random days where the dust is persistant; sticky.
Using a hand powered rocket blower they divide and multiply. I'm
headed to Canon Irvine to have my 20D sensor cleaned (and 300D
checked)... best not to risk damage from shakey hands. ;^)

Anyone else going to the Long Beach Grand Prix this week?

Jeff
!