Can you mount a power supply upside down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Yes, that is usually the intended way to mount a bottom mount PSU. The only time I would not mount a PSU like that is if there were no vent holes on the bottom of the case or (in the case of no vent holes) then the PSU must be raised about 1/2" from the bottom of the case to allow airflow.

popatim

Titan
Yes, that is usually the intended way to mount a bottom mount PSU. The only time I would not mount a PSU like that is if there were no vent holes on the bottom of the case or (in the case of no vent holes) then the PSU must be raised about 1/2" from the bottom of the case to allow airflow.

Solution

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Every PSU mount is fine as long as there's airflow, I got a HAF 912 and I didn't flip it upside down like in the picture you posted and instead, it's from the bottom of PSU than FAN on top of it... My Computer is sucking so much air, the front gatta be cleaned every few month lol...

if your case is vented at the bottom then its recommended, that you place the psu fan at the bottom which is in fact the right way up. if like me you have an antec 900/902 then you will have no choice but to put the psu in upside down with the fan on top...
this can be a hazard for 2 reasons. things may fall into the fans and the bottom of the psu may get overly warm if the fan above ist a good quality 1.

so yes always put the psu with the fan at the bottom if your case allows it.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
The importance of the downward facing fan is that it totally isolates the airflow of the PSU from the airflow of the case and also prevents the PSU fan from pulling air in the case downward contributing to turbulence. One thing I do is to stick some of those little rubber coaster things that are made to go under furniture legs under the case feet. This both dampens vibration between the case and the desk surface and raises the case for better airflow.

chilypepper

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Oh well thanks, It never occured to me it was the correct way being upside down, I have a cougar CMX 700W and my new case is a corsair carbide 500r so it would be great to have that new feature because the non modular cables will be closer to hiding, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.