Dual Display, 2 GPU: 5970, 4350 - Aero turns off, BSOD under loads

RogueJD

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Hey all,

First post for me here. I've been coming to the forum for a bit for answers, though. After a bit of poking around, I haven't quite found the exact answers for my situation.

My Rig:
AMD 1090T Black, stock clock, stock cooling
Antec 902
MSI 890FXA-GD70 mainboard, Bios: 20110224
Thermaltake 1000W PSU
ATI HD Radeon 5970 powering a single HP 2310 (Running a Sapphire vBios, clocks: 735MHz, Memory 1010MHz)
ATI Radeon 4350 powering a separate HP 2310
ATI Driver 8.81, Catalyst 11.6
8GB (4x2GB DIMM) XMS3 DDR3 1333 PC3 10666
Windows 7 64, SP1
90GB SSD (OS, program files Only)
Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB

So, as you can see, I have dual monitors, with one card on each. I was running the 5970 for both monitors, but I wanted to see if there's a measurable gain in performance, so I bought a 4350 for about $50.

As I understand, this will work, so long as both GPUs use the same drivers. Everything tested fine. Ran Furmark for stressing on the 5970. All was well.

Problem 1:
I often get an error when I'm working on monitor 2 (4350). Though I don't recall the exact wording, it says something to the effect of "Windows detected that your system performance is low." Then it gives me the option to disable the Aero function. I tell it to shut up.

Often, it won't give me the option. It will automatically disable Aero.

-Why is this? My system specs should be fine. I use various monitoring gadgets, and CPU and RAM are not even being stressed when this occurs. Both GPUs aren't under a load normally when this occurs.

Problem 2:
Sometimes, when playing games (Fallen Earth, EVE Online) textures are missing, or begin to flicker quickly. Reloading the UI for the game solves the problem. FPS is usually very good with near-max settings, ~ 45-60 FPS in "populated" areas. CPU usage is usually high, as one or more cores may be near 100%, but temps rarely get above 47C. RAM seems fine. GPU usage at these times is rarely above 50-60%, temps are never higher than 78C.

Sometimes, the screen goes black, computer slows to a craw (even the clock on my G15 stops working) and it flickers: black, then desktop, then black, then BSOD.

Error only occurs when I use dual monitors with separate cards in the above mentioned configuration. Never occured when I ran dual monitors on the 5970.

Note that I recently formatted my computer, and these errors haven't occurred within the last day - all I had done since then is install SP1 for Windows 7.

- Why is/was this occurring? Are there any known fixes for these issues?

Thanks all!

RogueJD

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

Scratch that. Just rec'd BSOD under same conditions after SP1 patch.