Sign in with
Your question

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe No POST

Last response: in Motherboards
September 30, 2012 6:13:00 AM

Hello,
I've got an M2N-SLI Deluxe which has worked flawlessly for years. Recently, it's refusing to properly power on - fans run, LED's are on, drives all power on, but no POST and no beeps out of the board. Tested video card, it works. Tried pulling everything except CPU and video, still nothing. Tried 1 DIMM, nothing. Tried various RAM configurations, nothing.

Prior to the issues I'd installed 2x new 1GB DIMM's, but it worked fine for months after that before this problem. 2 DIMMs are Corsair Valu and 2 are Kingston Valuram.

Any thoughts? I'm pulling my hair out here.

I should mention that using the "hands on" test, everything seems to be warming up - drives, heatsink on video & cpu, north/south bridges. However, every DIMM I've tried stays cool to the touch.

I also should note that despite it'd boot after adding the new DIMM's, it'd occasionally fail to POST and require multiple attempts at starting before finally loading. But, again this wasn't immediately after installing the new ram.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 487 V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 12:45:25 AM

Have you replaced your CMOS battery on the motherboard recently? A dead battery will not allow the BIOS to execute, and hence no post. I would check that first.
m
l
October 12, 2012 12:04:45 AM

At this point I've tested everything. CMOS replaced & cleared, replaced all RAM, tested with all components except cpu & each new stick (one at a time) in, still nothing. Pulled CPU, nothing. The board is definitely getting power, can't find any backside shorts (against the case), CPU tests fine in another board, as does RAM and video. Board power light is on and shows normal. Can't find any noticeably broken caps, connections, etc...
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2012 12:07:03 AM

I've narrowed down to, i'm assuming bad cpu socket, bad Bios, and/or bad memory sockets...but doubt whether having any of these repaired would be worth it on a 5+ year old board vs. Spending $225 for a new cpu/board and starting fresh.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 487 V Motherboard
October 12, 2012 12:46:23 AM

That's too bad. I hate it when something fails and you don't know why. Have you tried breadboarding it out of the case with just CPU/HSF, 1 stick memory, PSU, monitor? Does the display show anything at all when you boot? Have you tried a different gfx card in it? Or tested the PSU to be sure it is putting out all the proper voltages? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX
If you don't have a voltmeter, you can use a PSU tester: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... I always plug in any new PSU to my tester before I install it in a build. Unless it shows a problem, I don't bother messing with my voltmeter.

On the otherhand, you probably deserve a more modern board/processor by now. But I'd still check the PSU.

Staying with AMD or going to Intel?
m
l
October 19, 2012 5:13:28 PM

I'm planning on new, but wanted to keep on trucking til money and time allowed. I'll be sticking with AND, never been aa fan of bloated intel pricing or performance/dollar.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 487 V Motherboard
October 19, 2012 6:48:22 PM

Btw, just for the record, I was mistaken about a CMOS battery keeping the PC from booting. That was an incorrect statement. I have properly chastised myself.

One thing you might try. If the CPU gets to hot, it will shut down. How old is the thermal compound between cooler and CPU? If it's been several years, I'll bet it's all crusty and dried out.
m
l
January 30, 2013 12:35:25 PM

inlarry said:
Hello,
I've got an M2N-SLI Deluxe which has worked flawlessly for years. Recently, it's refusing to properly power on - fans run, LED's are on, drives all power on, but no POST and no beeps out of the board. Tested video card, it works. Tried pulling everything except CPU and video, still nothing. Tried 1 DIMM, nothing. Tried various RAM configurations, nothing.

Prior to the issues I'd installed 2x new 1GB DIMM's, but it worked fine for months after that before this problem. 2 DIMMs are Corsair Valu and 2 are Kingston Valuram.

Any thoughts? I'm pulling my hair out here.

I should mention that using the "hands on" test, everything seems to be warming up - drives, heatsink on video & cpu, north/south bridges. However, every DIMM I've tried stays cool to the touch.

I also should note that despite it'd boot after adding the new DIMM's, it'd occasionally fail to POST and require multiple attempts at starting before finally loading. But, again this wasn't immediately after installing the new ram.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Hey there. I'm having the exact same issue.. except I got my board from a PC shop.. the guy was gonna just pitch the board because it had bad caps. I went on badcaps.net and ordered all nice shiney new rubycon (spelling?) and had my friend solder 'em all in. I tried it shortly after he'd finished it, and it posted just fine. I said to myself "I've got way too much client pc work to do, so I'll wait a bit to assemble this bad boy".. so I placed it in an anti-static bag and put it on my parts shelf. Fast forward 2 months later. I hook up the board with all known good components.. g.skill ddr2 ram (8 gb of it), an amd athlon II x4 620, a 750 watt PSU which I know is rock solid... I jumper the power on pins.. everything powers on just fine, except no video feed, no post, no beeps.

I'm going to try reflowing the solder (place on a foil-lined cookie sheet with a molded foil ball on all 4 corners of the board to suspend it just above the foil.. preheat a normal oven to 385 - 390 F.. bake the motherboard for 8-9 min... (might wanna have a window open or a fairly effective air freshener handy, as you're going to be smelling a wonderfully fragrant aroma of melty plastic just a bit).. once the 8 min is up, open the oven door.. slide the shelf out a bit and let it cool for 15 min.. then check to see that any metal component on the board doesn't burn your finger when touching it. Then let it cool the rest of the way back to room temp. Then hook everything back up. If successful (and I've had quite a bit of success with this method), You should have a working part once again. I've done this with video cards, network switches, etc.. Just make sure you remove ALL stickers from said component.. then shake n bake your way to a working part..

Still, keep in mind that the "shake n bake" method doesn't work if the component's issue isn't actually microfractures in the solder joints.. if it's a fried FSB or north / south bride.. or a bios chip, you'll still be at square one.
m
l
!