MSi ATi 6870 hawk

grenadier

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
I'm looking at getting a new Graphics card and i found this one ,the MSI ATi 6870 hawk . What want to no is it a good card and will it fit my MOB ,which is a MSI K9N6PGM2-V.

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
The slots are backwards compatible but their are known to be issues with 2.1 cards and 1.0 slots.

If you want to stay in the same price range just get a different 6870 that is 2.0.

XFX 6870
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6817295&CatId=3669

Saphire 6870

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7171596&CatId=3669

The XFX card isn't anything special,it has stock cooling and a locked multplier.But it comes with a free game Dirt 3 and it has a $30 MIR making the final price $165 + Free Game.The Saphire card has better cooling but no free game.Both cards are 2.0 and should work with your mobo no problem.Keep in mind that they aren't nearly as good as the Hawk version.

EDIT: After I actually researched your mobo I found out that you have an Nvidia NB.That means you can't run AMD/ATI cards.You'll have to go with an Nvidia card.A GTX560ti is a really good card but something more in the price range of the 6870 would be the GTX460.

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
yeah.. it is an nvidia chipset so you can go with nvidia only..
by the way nvidia cards are better than ati cards :D
what is your budget ?
if its 200$ then gtx 560ti is the best choice
else 460 gtx which is in the same price as that of 6870

I think it's safe to say that both of you are wrong, having an Nvidia chipset on a motherboard does not prevent the use of a single ATi/AMD card but it does make Crossfire a difficulty.

That 'Chipset' is the onboard VGA.

yeah I have an amd chipset and a gtx 570 with no issue whatsoever so that whole is out the window, furthermore there are sli hacks for am2+ and am3 boards out there so really it just comes down to your tech level

OP: just go with a 2.0 card to ensure its compatibility otherwise its going to be a toss up and newegg makes you pay for shipping and restocking oftentimes on returns so I'd go with the 2.0 cards that you know beyond the shadow of a doubt; work. Personally I think the XFX for 164 AR is a good deal being that they have double lifetime warranty on the card meaning that if down the road you choose to sell it on ebay or something the lifetime warranty can be fully transferred to the new owner which imo is a nice feature

read above post , we must've posted at the same time, like people said above it may or may not work bc of known incompatibility issues with 1.0 and 2.1 cards so you are better off getting the 2.0 XFX 6870 imo

I would have to agree.

Although the XFX 6870 is a reference version and it doesn't even come close to how good the cooling is on the Hawk you still get it for cheap,have a lifetime warranty and you get Dirt 3.I remember back in December I bought that same exact XFX 6870 for $240 with a $20 MIR.$165 after MIR is a really good deal.Almost cheaper than a 6850.

yeah word, I bought an XFX 6870 back in feb for the same price now they are much cheaper, practically the same price as the 6850! Cooling works but the fan gets loud when ramped up and I was able to do a decent oc on mine as I remember while also keeping temps in check but something like that is subjective because I have decent cooling and ambient temps

be it a hawk or a reference, its still a 6870 and no matter what oc you throw on it it will still be in the ballpark of a 6870, no doubt the hawk is way nicer in terms of cooling and probably noise and oc ability, the XFX will get the job done and you won't be sacrificing much performance wise at all imo. Besides that you want to get something that is def compatible so again my vote is for the XFX, now time to purchase and get gaming! :)

I dunno.I mean yah the XFX 6870 is still a 6870 but I took off the shell to put some arctic silver on it and I saw how horrible the heatsink is.Just 3 small pipes going to a 1 inch square of fins on the oppoiste end.When you look at that compared to the aftermarket coolers and how big they are it's no wonder they do so well in the benchmarks.