Which will be best? HD6950 2gb vs GTX570 DC II 1280mb

kerb

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
As the title says, I'm wondering which one will give me best performance for the money?

I should also add that I have a nvidia 9600GT laying around, and was thinking of using that in SLi with the GTX570, as an PhysiX support-card.

The Radeon HD6950 2gb is for around 377 USD and the GTX570 is at 454 dollars.

So what do you guys think?

As always with this choice, seems to be a common one, i say go with the 570. Physx isnt supported by a ton of games, but that might be a plus to getting the nvidia card is the option of having it when you want it. Im not sure if the performance increase will be worth it to you for the extra 80 bux tho. If the extra money is an issue, then the 6950 will perform very well for you, just a bit behind the 570 and will take the option out of having physx. Posting your configuration will be a huge help in determining which card is best as well.

kerb

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Of course, sorry xD Here's a screencap of my shoppinglist!

THe currency in the picture is norwegian kroner, and yes, I know the prices are ridiculous. But that's the way it is here in Norway, for electronics :/

Using a 9600GT as a PhysX card with a GTX570 as the main card is not SLi'ing, just a spod point.

Ok, now seeing that, you can go with either card depending on what you need. If resolutions on a single monitor not exceeding 1920x1080, go with the 570. If you are wanting to use multiple monitors, i say go 6950. the extra Vram will help with a dual monitor setup.

kerb

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
My current monitor is at 1920x1080, and that's the resolution I will be playing games in. Although I'm thinking of getting a second monitor for multitasking, such as spotify etc on the second monitor whilst gaming, but I don't think dual-monitor-gaming is in my near future. Also, forgot to mention that my PSU is an Corsair 650W.

So you think the price difference is worth it, perfomance wise? And how much would the 9600GT spod point help out in overall gaming performance?

the 9600 would only help in terms of games that utilize physx, which is a small selection. If you want the quieter, better performer, then go with the 570, If you want to save the cash, go with the 6950, it will perform just fine.

kerb

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Hmm... is it still possible to flash the 6950 to an 6970? And will it then outperform the GTX570? If so, then there's an obvious choice

9600 gt is not going to be a very good physX card imo, but having said that I'd go with the gtx 570 for better drivers and cooler and quieter performance... furthermore the gtx 570 can handle physx in games like mirrors edge and batman aa just fine and overall physx is not that memorable imo

^yeah or that works too, and ive been curious to try myself but I got my gtx 570, also the 2 gigs of vram will not matter one iota at the OPs res. for me it just came down to the fact that I hated AMDs drivers for my crossfire setup (although they are fine for a single gpu imo) and I truly am impressed with how much better drivers nvidia has not to mention how much cooler and quieter the nv 5 series is compared to the amd 6 series, the difference to me was night and day after owning/ trying out both (6870 crossfire, gtx 570, hd 6970) the extra vram certainly made no fps increase in my case although I can see the befits perhaps in the far future once the card is basically obsolete. Its like buying a 1 gig 3870 and expecting it to actually utilize the whole memory cache given the games and technology at the time. I feel like in future generations (maybe not the next one specifically) of card; 2 gigs of vram will be more of a necessity then it will be a marketing ploy like it is now.

+1 JilliOn