Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Current single slot graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 17, 2011 1:05:13 PM

Hi!

Thinking about building a new system around the Asus M5A97 EVO and I am wondering what the best recommendation is for a graphics card in the 80 - 120 Dollar range. Here are few points of what I want to do with the system and what not:
- I am not a hard core gamer (no WOW or stuff like that, more along the lines of PopCap games)
- looking for a single slot card, because I want to keep expansion options for the system as open as possible
- I have two Samsung 226BW (1680x1050 native) that I need to connect to via DVI (VGA is taken by other system/KVM)
- I am not a brand fanatic, neither in regards to GPU maker nor board maker, so either AMD/ATi or nVidia are fine with me
- looking at getting a 620W PSU and use a Phenom II x4 945 95W on the board, so power may be something to look at
- generally are still undecided on everything, although I do like the board/CPU combo for price/performance (not asking about that here anyway)

Looking at what is available I hardly see any single slot cards that are not from Yurassic Park. I did come across this one that seems current:
XFX ATI Radeon HD5770 Single Slot 1GB DDR5 - HD577XZMF3
but I am a bit curious as to why most online stores do not carry this card or claim it is no longer available. In general, would that be a good buy?

The reason why I want a true single slot is that I have a PCIe TV tuner card and eventually look more into increasing storage capacity using both SATA and legacy IDE drives (use the old clunkers until they die and thus do not really want to block expansion slots as will be the case with a 2 slot card.
Also, I did not buy the PSU yet, but eye the Antec Neo Eco 620C. If there is a better choice in the same price range (around 60 to 70 $) let me know.

That said, I do not reject the idea of a dual slot card, because I am quite sure I won't run dual cards, so if that gives me a better bang for the buck it's of interest.

Also, many cards have a single DVI connector, but claim that multi monitor setups are supported. Does that mean that a second DVI connection would require getting an HMDI to DVI connector? If yes, will that cause any issues in regards to resolution or quality? Or is it that the DVI port gets split into two connections using an applicable adapter?

I hope I gave enough information. Thanks in advance for your responses.
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2011 1:26:25 PM

The 5770 would be a great buy for what you need.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2011 2:31:18 PM

I have a single slot 5770 in a backup rig and it works great at resolutions in between 720p and 1080p, of course you will have to lower some settings from time to time but it is no doubt the most powerful single slot card ive ever used, and i think the only thing faster in the single slot variety is the single slot 6850 which is just our of your price range. the antec earthwatts 380w psu will easily power both of those gpus mentioned and a system with an overclocked quad and it can be had for around 40 bucks:

I use it in the before mentioned backup rig and it is a great psu:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you dont believe me here is an article where toms uses that exact psu in a build:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/diy-gaming-pc,2970....

Although if you can afford it at your resolution I would try to go for a single slot 6850 for a little extra muscle.

really the single slot gives you the same performance as the regular card with a smaller form factor and less overclocking ability. If you can get a dual slot gpu I'd definatley grab this:

same price as the 6850, and I hafe seen that most 6870s are only about 10 to 20 bucks more than the 6850 which is worth it imo, well that is my 2 cents good luck! and happy gaming!

Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2011 4:51:54 PM

For your uses get a 5670 and don't waste your money on cards that will not only cost more but consume more power.
Score
a c 358 U Graphics card
July 17, 2011 5:00:19 PM

^^^
+1

Yeah, you do not need more than a HD 5670 for your needs especially since you only seem to play Flash/Java games. They cost around $55 after a mail-in rebate.

A 620w PSU is more than enough for you. The system in my sig is powered by a 550w Seasonic PSU. I also have 6 hard drives and 2 optical drives as well.
Score
July 17, 2011 5:32:49 PM

Thanks for all the replies so far. The lower cost cards probably work out, but none of the ones mentioned / none of the models found on newegg appear to have dual DVI.
I'm willing to compromise on the single slot issue, but I must have two DVI connections and I don't want to get out of the price range plus/minus a few bucks. So jjb8675309's proposal of the 6870 is much appreciated, but by quite a bit out of the price range. I still plan to make my mortgage payments...
PSU selection is based on Newegg's PSU calculator....maybe they skew the results in their favor?
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2011 6:03:26 PM

im telling you the 380w antec earthwatts is the hot ticket right now for $40 w free ship from newegg
Score
July 17, 2011 7:44:46 PM

It is without doubt a good supply, but with a bunch of drives going into the box I am a bit hesitant (maybe unreasonably so). The 620C is on sale as well, but I looked at a few of the 500W range Antecs and they seem decent as well. I need to think about it a bit more as I doubt that I push CPU/GPU to the peak with anything I'll do.
Thanks for casting doubt...this time it is a good thing.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2011 8:49:15 PM

you seem to have a keen idea of the value of a good psu so im not worried, go for the 620..
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2011 8:51:09 PM

I wouldn't touch the Xigmatech PSU that browsingtheworld listed with a 35.5' pole, even if the rig in concerns power requirements are low, the voltage regulations on a unit like that are way too loose.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2011 8:59:11 PM

jjb8675309 said:
I wouldn't touch the Xigmatech PSU that browsingtheworld listed with a 35.5' pole, even if the rig in concerns power requirements are low, the voltage regulations on a unit like that are way too loose.

I like how you can speak about components you're completely clueless about:
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xigmatek_nrppc4...
Quote:
Very good DC Load Regulation

it also has 5 eggs after 45 reviews which is very good.

But you keep on blowing smoke....

If you are actually interested in posting informed comments I'd suggest you read up a bit.
http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/715889-psu-arti...

Recommending a 620W PSU for a system that's going to draw 300W max is asinine.
Score
July 17, 2011 10:01:24 PM

Thanks for the lively debate. I think I'll look more at the 500W range and save some cash, but will crunch the numbers again to see how much I'd really need.

That aside, any other suggestions for a single slot card? These two caught my attention as well:
EVGA nVidia GeForce GT440 1GB DDR3 - 01G-P3-1441-KR
ZOTAC ZT-98GEY3G-FSL GeForce 9800 GT 1GB GDDR3
Have to dig around a bit more where they end up in comparison to the HD5770. Currently using an eVGA GeForce 7200 GS with 256 MB DDR2, so it will be a step up no matter what (although for a 30$ card it works quite well).
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2011 10:20:43 PM

browsingtheworld said:
I like how you can speak about components you're completely clueless about:
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xigmatek_nrppc4...
Quote:
Very good DC Load Regulation

it also has 5 eggs after 45 reviews which is very good.

But you keep on blowing smoke....

If you are actually interested in posting informed comments I'd suggest you read up a bit.
http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/715889-psu-arti...

Recommending a 620W PSU for a system that's going to draw 300W max is asinine.

First off I don't appreciate your tone... you dont need to get bent out of shape by xigmatech bashing, they are marginal at best

relax, newegg reviews don't mean anything (do you think the common pc user knows what the hell they are talkign about!?) and why not just go with a reliable from a reputable manufacturer instead of some chinese crap unit for the same amount of money, xigmatech is crap, have fun with your crap unit if the OP wants an overkill psu he can get the 620, I was recommending him the antec earthwatts 380w anyways so read my prior posts before you tell me I dont knwo what im talking about, in fact i do, Ive used *** psus in the past and they do not last the earthwatts psu is only 40 dollars and is a solid unit that could run the ops rig with pretty much as many hdds as he wants. Regardless what an overclock.net review says I would not trust X for a psu, plain and simple especially when you can get a reliable antec model for pretty much the same money.

Yes I was making a blanket statement about crap psus when I was speaking about the voltage regulation but still, its not worth the gamble imo they are made with shitty Chinese components and that you cannot argue, I have been building pcs for over ten years now and I know what im talking about, I have been on the wrong end of a crappy psu many times.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2011 10:21:40 PM

OP: a 5670 is a valid choice if you are interested, low power draw and I think you can get them for around 60 bucks these days AR or cheaper
July 19, 2011 11:54:49 AM

Well, alia iacta est! I decided to go with this one:
The GeForce 9800GT is just marginally under the originally eyed HD5770 in Tom's GPU Hierarchy list. The only thing that it doesn't do is DirectX11, but I couldn't find any reason why I'd need that.
That said, I really was intrigued by the 5670 option (see best answer) for both price and described performance (and it does DX11), but I could not find a single dual DVI card for this. Those are hard to come by anyway as it seems. Maybe dual monitor setups aren't as mainstream as I think they are.

Also, I scaled back on the power supply and went with the Antec Neo Eco 520C (see http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., which was on sale yesterday for 35$! What a steal! Usually the bargain bin PSUs cost that much. I toyed around with Newegg's PSU calculator and just deselecting one of the optical drives I will have made more of a difference than I thought. I doubt it draws 20W anyway and it likely will not do that continuously. With the debate in this thread I decided that with a 520W PSU I will be more than set.

Thanks for helping me make up my mind.
Score
July 19, 2011 11:55:00 AM

Best answer selected by ElectricCity.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 19, 2011 11:57:42 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!