Sabertooth 990FX is driving me crazy - pls help

internetix

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Hi guys. I have some problems with my new system set-up and hopefully you guys can give me a tip how to fix this or i will throw this motherboard out the window :fou: - it's eating me alive trying to troubleshoot it.

I recently purchased the following components for my system upgrade:

1. Asus Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard
2. AMD FX 8120 CPU (stock fan)
3. Corsair Dominator 2 x 4gb CMP8GX3M2A1600C9 (8gb total)
4. Corsair Force 3 60gb SSD (used as boot drive)
5. PSU Cooler Master 650W
6. Graphic Card: Asus Geforce GT 610 (GT610-SL-2GD3-L)

Ok, now, my problems:

It seems that bios (latest rev 1304) is getting corrupted like crazy, out of nowhere.
I will reset my bios (battery out & jumper switch) the system will post and boot.
I will enter windows, no errors, nothing - fully functional. After i normally shut down the system during night the keyboard lights will remain on and on a second boot attempt next day in the morning, that CPU led will come solid red indicating a problem (a bios corruption gone wrong).

If i reset my bios all over again, everything works .... and the problem loop will continue so i have to do a bios reset almost after every normal shutdown.

I did some various tests trying to pinpoint the problem:

- Tried a really cheap Asrock mobo with my CPU, ram, gpu, psu (all my components) ... everything is running fine
- Tried a different CPU with my Sabertooth 990FX mobo - problems persists
- After a succesfull boot on my Sabertooth i performed some stability and stress test under windows - no issues, no errors, all temperatures normal.

Something or somehow the bios gets messed-up after a normal shutdown and i have to reset it almost everytime. When it's posting is working just fine ... if i will shut it down - i obtain CPU led light error (cpu is fine, i encountered same behavior with different cpu aswell)

What can cause this behavior ? How can i fix it ? Are there any specific settings for bios for my system set-up or should it work with default settings just fine ?

Seriously, i am tired of it ... i am thinking to switch away from Asus :( (although the top manufacturer on my list)

PS: I didn't do any overclocking at all ... i just tried to run it on default settings.

internetix

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
The motherboard already came with latest bios revision and I already re-flashed the current version (1304) but the problem still exist.

Another strange thing:

Last night i shut down the pc normally.
In the morning the pc would not boot , that cpu led was solid red on motherboard.

I turned off the power supply using the on/off switch on psu and let the pc without any power for the rest of the day. This evening - surprise - no errors at all and everything worked right away at push of a button.

So, this bios/mobo is acting really crazy and strange and don't know where to pinpoint the issue.

Something is messing bios up and i don't know what ...

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Maybe you could try getting an older BIOS version. Also, that PSU might be related to the problem. It might not agree with the Asus Sabertooth 990FX board that you have for some reason. Cooler Master really isn't famous for having good PSUs (quite the opposite, in fact), so it wouldn't be a surprise to me.