Should I upgrade or just rebuild a new gaming pc?

reg1pl

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Hello everyone, I'm hoping I could get some feedback from everyone in deciding if I should upgrade or just buy new comp.

I've had this computer since 2007 and the only thing I've done is upgrade the video card and install some additional RAM. My expectation is to be able to play BF3 at least at medium settings on this computer. If I'm better off in the long term to just buy a new gaming pc then I'd be looking to run in high settings. If I end up upgrading my current PC I'd probably upgrade the OS to windows 7, video card, and CPU or whatever you all think is best. Ultimately I'm wondering in everyone's opinion if I'm just better off buying new since the computer is 4 years old or upgrading what I have. My primary concerns are if I could even upgrade to an i5/i7 and if I could run the new video cards due to my motherboard. If I buy a new computer I wouldn't want to spend more than $1500 but If I upgrade what I have now I don't want to spend more than $300 max. Let me know what y'all think please. If any of you believe I'm better off buying new I wouldn't be looking to build it myself, if you have any suggestions of where I should buy please direct where you believe I would receive the most value for my $, for now I've eyeballing digitalstorms.

Thanks in advance for any feedback I receive.

here are my specs:

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer Manufacturer MSI
Computer Model MSI P6N SLI
Operating System (O/S) Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2
Operating System Build (O/S) (build 6002), 32-bit
Operating System (version) 6.0.6002
O/S Language 0409
System RAM 3.0 GB
Internet Browser[1] Internet Explorer
Internet Browser Version[1] 8.0.6001.19088
.NET Framework Version 3.5.30729.01
CD or DVD Device ASUS DRW-1814BLT SCSI CdRom Device
System Hard Drive Overview
System Total Storage Size: 139.7 GB
Physical Drive 0
Maker WDC
Model WD1500ADFD-00NLR
Bus Type ATA

Memory Detail
Total Physical Memory 3.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.2 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.0 GB

GRAPHICS INFORMATION
Graphics Product [1] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Graphics Driver Version not detected
Driver Status Non-Intel device detected
3D Acceleration Yes
Hardware Transform & Lighting Support Yes
Video Memory 2.1 GB
Vertex Shader Support 4.0
Pixel Shader Support 4.0
Microsoft DirectX* Version 11.0
Current Graphics Resolution 1680x1050
Current Color Depth 32 Bits Per Pixel

MOTHERBOARD INFORMATION
Manufacturer Intel
Model MSI P6N SLI
AA Number 1.0
BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Version American Megatrends Inc. V2.7
BIOS Release Date 12/09/08
System Memory 3.0 GB
Built-in Audio Driver Component not detected
Built-in Audio Driver Version 6.0.1.1272
Built-in Audio Driver Status Non-Intel device detected

PROCESSOR INFORMATION
Manufacturer Intel
Model Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Intel Processor analysis tools not detected
CPU Speed 2.4 GHz
Link to Processor Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
CPU Revision B6
CPU Type 00
CPU Family 06
CPU Model 0F
CPU Stepping B

WIRED NETWORKING INFORMATION
Wired Networking Product not detected
Driver Version 67.8.9.0
Driver Status Device is unknown or unsupported
Intel PROSet Version not detected
Hardware IDs not detected

Tagan TG1100-U96 TurboJet nVidia-SLI Certified 1100Watt Power
> Supply

Vigor ALPHA FORCE Screwless Chassis w/TyphoonTM Air
> Ventilation System

Solution
It's not worth upgrading your CPU, as there isn't anything that is that much better for that without having to replace your entire system. You could upgrade the GPU, but not sure how much that would help (I used to have a Q6600 + gtx460, played Bad Company 2 on medium-high settings)

If you are going to buy your own computer, please do not buy from that website you listed. It is overpriced.

For example, I just put together the exact same system that Digital Storm is selling for $1507 on newegg for $1189. That's $300 without even looking around for deals. If you did that (say choose a cheaper version of the same video card, sales, mail-in-rebates etc..) it would be even cheaper.

There are places that you can choose the components and...

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
I am in the same boat, but my rig is about the same, I was thinking of upgrading too. A Nvidia 8800gts and intel core 2 q6600 too. I only upgraded the ram and added a blu-ray burner since. A new icore 7 or 5 means a new motherboard and ram. I have vista ultimate 64, which is super slower then my laptop with win7 ultimate 64. I hate to upgrade every generation so I will wait to upgrade for win8. That is also because I used my laptop more, and might replace that first.

MorkS

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
It's not worth upgrading your CPU, as there isn't anything that is that much better for that without having to replace your entire system. You could upgrade the GPU, but not sure how much that would help (I used to have a Q6600 + gtx460, played Bad Company 2 on medium-high settings)

If you are going to buy your own computer, please do not buy from that website you listed. It is overpriced.

For example, I just put together the exact same system that Digital Storm is selling for $1507 on newegg for $1189. That's $300 without even looking around for deals. If you did that (say choose a cheaper version of the same video card, sales, mail-in-rebates etc..) it would be even cheaper.

There are places that you can choose the components and have them build it for you for like $50. It will save you a ton of cash. Try somewhere like ncix, or even a local computer store might be a good option (make sure to research prices). Building yourself is super easy if you're interested in it and will help you learn a lot about your new system.

Good luck with your decision!

Solution

Geef

Distinguished
There isn't really a need to upgrade your current machine anymore since it has an older motherboard and uses ddr2 memory. I'd suggest checking out the build your own option at the top of the Tomshardware.com website. Check the newest 500 dollar pc setup they have and take what you need from it and make sure you put windows 7 64bit on there. Memory prices seem to be low now so look at those and get more if your gonna be gaming on the machine. :bounce: