What do you guys think?

Paincm

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Processor: i7 2600k 3.8 turbo boost

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68

Graphic Card: EVGA 3GB nvidia 580 (will eventually make it 580 sli)

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133

Hard Drive: 1TB western digital

Optical Drive: Samsung Blue ray player

Power Unit: ABS Majesty series MJ1100-M Continuous 1100W@50°C ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified (sli enabled)

Heat sink: Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Virus protection: ESET Smart Security 4.0

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower

Let me know what you guys think!

1. Does the power supply work with everything?
2. Is an ssd card really necessary?

Solution
THAT PSU is definitely better.

Budget? Looking at the rest of your build, I'd say it's high. So let me warn you: there'll be a lot of people in this thread shortly who'll tell you to drop to i5-2500K. Don't listen. Why? The 2600K is quite a bit more future-proof and it's worth the extra $100, plus money isn't that much of a question in your case.

But the board... meh. If you're ready to drop that much money on the board, go for Asus Maximus IV Extreme. OR don't waste money and get a normal Z68 board - Asus P8Z68-V Deluxe will do, most likely. These "gaming" boards don't have that many extra features that justify the crazy price.

SSD card? You mean, on of those PCI-E mounted SSDs? Up to you; I'd just get a normal SATA one; you...

Paincm

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
And I think I'll go with this PSU instead of the ABS Majesty.

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series HX1050 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified

Better? I could really use the help! Thanks for the look out btw

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
THAT PSU is definitely better.

Budget? Looking at the rest of your build, I'd say it's high. So let me warn you: there'll be a lot of people in this thread shortly who'll tell you to drop to i5-2500K. Don't listen. Why? The 2600K is quite a bit more future-proof and it's worth the extra $100, plus money isn't that much of a question in your case.

But the board... meh. If you're ready to drop that much money on the board, go for Asus Maximus IV Extreme. OR don't waste money and get a normal Z68 board - Asus P8Z68-V Deluxe will do, most likely. These "gaming" boards don't have that many extra features that justify the crazy price.

SSD card? You mean, on of those PCI-E mounted SSDs? Up to you; I'd just get a normal SATA one; you don't want to crowd your PCI-E slots.

Screen? Have one already?

2133 RAM? NOT needed. More than 1600 MHz and you won't see any advantage.

Solution

Paincm

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
thanks man, and i dont have a moniter atm.
Im probably going to use my 720p tv for a month untill i save up an extra 350. Im getting an ASUS PA Series PA238Q Black 23" 50000000:1 contrast ratio.

For gaming, the 2500k actually outperforms the 2600k because it runs cooler with less cores and can be OC'd higher before hitting thermal limits. Of course, you could disable HT but then you spent an extra $95 for a 2600k that you turned into a 2500k.

Of course if you run programs that can use HT, then you can save different BIOS profiles ..... one for those programs w/ HT enabled (say 4.6+ Ghz) and one for gaming w/ HT disabled (say 4.8G+ Hz).

For the cooler, I'd look at the Silver Arrow or Hyper 612 if and when the latter finally hits store shelves. V6 GT is bit better but too darn noisy.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=797&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=4

For the PSU the Corsair AX or HX series work ....... or the Antec SG, CP, HCG, HCP series .... Seasonic X series

If you gonna spend more than $200 on a monitor get a 120Hz one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236104

Z68 ? Why ? Anything here that you'll benefit from ?

http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/difference-between-h67-p67-z68-and-h61-chipsets-a-22.html

Z68
Launched 5 months after the P67 and H67 chipset the Z68 chipset combines the advantages of the H67 and P67 Chipset so that overclocking, dual dedicated graphics cards and use of the integrated CPU graphics is available. Whilst on the surface it would seem that this would be the chipset to go for, how many users that have 2 dedicated graphics cards will actually want to use the onboard graphics when they already have 2 more powerful graphics cards in their system anyway?

The only real advantage is for users that wish to access the HD graphics features such as quick sync, but considering it’s only supported by very few transcoding programs and there are not many people out there that need or will want to transcode, it makes it almost pointless to choose Z68 over a P67 chipset.

Same applies to users that want to overclock the CPU but use the onboard graphics card; it’s a very limited market.

Finally, another feature of a Z68 chipset is known as SSD caching which is where it allows the use of a small (say 10 or 20 GB) Solid state hard drive to act as a cache for a larger ‘traditional’ hard disk. If you are already planning the use of a Solid State drive this feature is redundant.

If you can’t afford a decent size SSD (40GB+) then there are more cost effective ways around using a small SSD and SSD cashing like spending less on a motherboard, (H67 chipset or even a P67 chipset) and putting the saved money into a decent size SSD.

With twin 580's I'd want the Asus WS Revolution which is capable of running both cards at x16 x16.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p67-gaming-3-way-sli-three-card-crossfire,2910-17.html

While the NF200 doesn’t completely solve the dearth of PCIe lanes available on LGA 1155 platforms, its ability to send identical data to multiple cards makes it perfect for SLI and CrossFire. That benefit, when combined with the Sandy Bridge processor’s superior performance and overclocking capabilities, slams the lid on the coffin for X58 gaming. Anyone who needs the added flexibility of X58 to host other devices, such as high-end drive controllers or six-core processors in a workstation environment, must bow to the gaming superiority of NF200-equiped Sandy Bridge motherboards like Asus' P8P67 WS Revolution.

Compare it w/ the Gigglebyte version here:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3795/asus_p8p67_ws_revolution_intel_p67_express_motherboard/index11.html

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
2600K is more future proof and OCs just the same or even better, and you don't even need to OC it from the start; I'd only OC it once there's an actual NEED for it. You don't need x16/x16, gains are negligible; x8/x8 will do. Z68 is more future-proof; if you already have an LGA 1155 platform, you don't need it; if you're buying new, GO FOR IT, there's nothing to lose (and a lot to gain) and it's just $10-20 more.