banzask

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Hello, a couple of months i ago i got dell studio xps 7100 and it game with 4gb ram 2x2gb modules, i brought 1 x 4gb module and put it in the 3rd slot and that was perfectly fine 8gb worked perfect, a few days ago i brought another one of the exact same 4gb module and the os picks it up but says that i have 12gb but only 8gb i can use, i have windows 7 home premium 64bit and according to websites i have have up to 16gb on the os and motherboard i really don't know what to do i can not really get rid of the os and get a new one because i have so much data which is all college work as im a student i can not afford to loose and don't have anything big enough to back it up. could you please give me some help

Thanks

Banzask

professorturtle

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Hey mate,
Don't worry about your data - It'll all be intact.

Some things you should try include:
-Click start, type in 'msconfig' (without marks). Click system information -> advanced options. This should be under the 'boot' tab. Just clear the maximum memory and do a restart.

-Get into your BIOS by pressing 'del', enter, etc during startup. See if 'memory remapping' is enabled. If it isn't - enable it. If you can't find it - don't worry about it.

On the more technical side of things - you can try individually testing each RAM stick/module in a known good working slot (either slot #1,2,3 in your case - if you feel like it and have time, I recommend trying MemTest86+). If they all work - try using a memory stick in slot 4. If the computer continues to boot and recognizes the memory like normal - then both the DIMM banks and modules are good and working.

If you made it this far without it working, it would be likely to be a BIOS setting or (highly unlikely - but) a Windows setting.

Remember this - you won't lose any data unless you damage the hard-drive. Having a stick of RAM not work is unlikely to damage your hdd.