Where in the World for Cheapest Digital Camera Prices

Where on-line or off-line can the best bargains for Digital Cameras be
bought. So far I've only found the best bargains on e-bay. Are there
better on-line places to find a bargain? I am willing to travel too,
as I'm looking for a relatively expensive camera and the savings I
could make may pay for a holiday! I'm mostly interested in Nikon but
other manufacturers are fine too.
8 answers Last reply
More about where world cheapest digital camera prices

    Coralge wrote:
    >So far I've only found the best bargains on >e-bay. Are there better
    on-line places to >find a bargain?

    No. You're not going to find better bargains than little-used
    digicams whose owners just had to trade up to the "latest and best."

    See all our stuff at the http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW

    coralgecko@gmail.com wrote:
    > Where on-line or off-line can the best bargains for Digital Cameras
    be
    > bought. So far I've only found the best bargains on e-bay. Are
    there
    > better on-line places to find a bargain? I am willing to travel too,
    > as I'm looking for a relatively expensive camera and the savings I
    > could make may pay for a holiday! I'm mostly interested in Nikon but
    > other manufacturers are fine too.

    I haven't seen any real bargains on Ebay recently - most of the decent
    equipment auctioned is being sold by companies, for a bit more than
    they have to sell it on the internet. A lot of excessive shipping and
    "handling" (whatever the heck that is) charges, too. I have sold a bit
    of computer stuff a year ago, and I was amazed at how much people
    though it was worth..... I set a "buy now" price but on several items
    buyers gleefully bid right past it.

    If you're willing to shop in the U.S. there's good prices to be had at
    several internet retailers, as long as you're willing to put up with
    (and gently but firmly resist) a lot of hard sell. For example
    Butterfly Photo (www.butterflyphoto.com) will always phone and sell a
    bunch of overpriced accessories - mostly poor quality accessory lenses
    and flash cards - but they'll also (eventually) respect a polite "no,
    thanks, I already have one" and will actually sell you the item. I
    don't know whether you'll be able to get them to ship to you or for
    that matter to a relative or friend, though - most of these places
    insist (for obvious reasons) on shipping to the address on the credit
    card.

    Do a bit of research at www.resellerratings.com - they're not perfect,
    because it's still possible for companies to put in "shill" reviews,
    but it's usually apparent from the pattern - a few "wonderful,
    excellent, I want my firstborn to marry them" reviews mixed in with
    lots of "they're all going to hell, Satan runs the company" type stuff.

    Good Luck!
    ECM

    John DH wrote:
    >In my view the cheapest deal is to buy from you local store or an
    >on-line/mail order company that you trust from your own country. OK
    there
    >won't be any holiday in this but there is a warranty instead.

    I'm not convinced. How often do digicams - or ANYTHING electronic
    of any quality brand - go bad within the warranty period, anyhow?
    I got a Sony DSC-D770 and a Pentax Optio S from a local full-service
    camera store. Both are great - but the best part of the deal was the
    knowledgeable salesman, NOT the warranty (which never got used on
    either).

    For me Wolf Camera had some of the advantages of both. I didn't pay
    local sales tax (around 7%) or shipping and still have someone I can go
    to with questions.

    Tom

    On 2 Apr 2005 05:24:11 -0800, coralgecko@gmail.com wrote:

    >Where on-line or off-line can the best bargains for Digital Cameras be
    >bought. So far I've only found the best bargains on e-bay. Are there
    >better on-line places to find a bargain? I am willing to travel too,
    >as I'm looking for a relatively expensive camera and the savings I
    >could make may pay for a holiday! I'm mostly interested in Nikon but
    >other manufacturers are fine too.

    Having had an experience buying my Nikon on eBay and working with a
    friend who bought his Nikon at a local camera store - I think I would
    buy locally if the price were only slightly higher. He had a defect
    in the camera (D70) and the day he opened the box, we drove to the
    store and they happily exchanged it for a new one. I can't imagine
    what would happen with an on-line purchase, cost of mailing, waiting,
    e-mailing, phoning, worrying....

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    + The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
    + (two mirrored sites)
    + http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
    + http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Probably Hong Kong, that's the main source for the EBay deals. To be quite
    frank, I wouldn't bother. If any thing goes wrong, getting a refund or
    getting it fixed could prove impossible. A friend of mine bought a high end
    video camera from Singapore, 6 months down the line it went tits up and he
    couldn't do a thing about it.

    In my view the cheapest deal is to buy from you local store or an
    on-line/mail order company that you trust from your own country. OK there
    won't be any holiday in this but there is a warranty instead.

    John D

    <coralgecko@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Where on-line or off-line can the best bargains for Digital Cameras be
    > bought. So far I've only found the best bargains on e-bay. Are there
    > better on-line places to find a bargain? I am willing to travel too,
    > as I'm looking for a relatively expensive camera and the savings I
    > could make may pay for a holiday! I'm mostly interested in Nikon but
    > other manufacturers are fine too.

    They do go wrong though. The OP says he wishes to purchase a relatively
    expensive product, I think he should have some protection for his hard
    earned cash. I know of one instance where a Panasonic camcorder purchased in
    Singapore failed within 6 months and the manufacturer did not want to know.
    My own experience: Two failed Phillips W/S Television sets and one failed
    Sony TV within 6 weeks of each other. It's a question of the willingness to
    take a risk. Sure, electrical goods these days are reliable, but they can
    and do go wrong. That's when the deal isn't so good.

    I totally agree the value of a knowledgeable salesman, unfortunately they
    are a rare breed. When you find one, it's a good idea to build up a rapport,
    priceless.

    John D

    > I'm not convinced. How often do digicams - or ANYTHING electronic
    > of any quality brand - go bad within the warranty period, anyhow?
    > I got a Sony DSC-D770 and a Pentax Optio S from a local full-service
    > camera store. Both are great - but the best part of the deal was the
    > knowledgeable salesman, NOT the warranty (which never got used on
    > either).

    On 2 Apr 2005 08:46:20 -0800, in rec.photo.digital ,
    "editor@netpath.net" <editor@netpath.net> in
    <1112460380.141362.295320@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> wrote:

    >John DH wrote:
    >>In my view the cheapest deal is to buy from you local store or an
    >>on-line/mail order company that you trust from your own country. OK
    >there
    >>won't be any holiday in this but there is a warranty instead.
    >
    > I'm not convinced. How often do digicams - or ANYTHING electronic
    >of any quality brand - go bad within the warranty period, anyhow?
    > I got a Sony DSC-D770 and a Pentax Optio S from a local full-service
    >camera store. Both are great - but the best part of the deal was the
    >knowledgeable salesman, NOT the warranty (which never got used on
    >either).

    Electronic items are most likely to fail the first time out of the
    box. Next most likely the first time they get a long workout and get
    warm. If they pass that, they are likely to last a reasonable time.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

Photo Cameras