Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HP Pavilon Frozen at BIOS

Last response: in Systems
September 17, 2011 2:19:14 PM

When I booted my parents computer, I was met with this:

After a couple of minutes, the red lines disappear but still is unresponsive.

As far as I know, there were no previous warning signs of problems as it was running fine last night.

The keyboard is not powered, so the USB hubs were not initialized.

Is the motherboard shot? I don't know what the problem is, but that is what my guess would be.

More about : pavilon frozen bios

Best solution

September 17, 2011 4:00:22 PM

It's more accurate to say that it's frozen at POST (Power On Self Test).

So you have red vertical lines on the monitor and hard locked. I think you can ignore the USB message as not relevant.

1. Unplug the computer and pull the cover (or side) off. Get a can of compressed air and carefully blow out the dust. If there is a lot take it outside to do this. Try not to let the fans spin in the air blast, as you can damage them with high RPMs.

2. Make sure there is nothing extra plugged in to the computer. check all USB ports and card reader slots.

3. Start it up with the cover off and make sure the CPU fan is spinning.
September 17, 2011 4:50:58 PM

Proximon said:
It's more accurate to say that it's frozen at POST (Power On Self Test).

So you have red vertical lines on the monitor and hard locked. I think you can ignore the USB message as not relevant.

1. Unplug the computer and pull the cover (or side) off. Get a can of compressed air and carefully blow out the dust. If there is a lot take it outside to do this. Try not to let the fans spin in the air blast, as you can damage them with high RPMs.

2. Make sure there is nothing extra plugged in to the computer. check all USB ports and card reader slots.

3. Start it up with the cover off and make sure the CPU fan is spinning.

The insides were not too dusty, but the only can of compressed air I had a few shots left. I used the little bit of air on the heatsink (the aluminum ribs) to clear out some of the dust there. Boot the computer made it POST, BIOS, and then froze at the Operating system.

A reboot of the computer had it running normally.

Once I get a fresh can, I plan on clearing out the rest of the dust.

Thank you for your time! I am a little wary of how a few shots of compressed air could make all of the difference. But since the problem is fixed...
Related resources
September 17, 2011 4:51:09 PM

Best answer selected by Vearo.
September 17, 2011 7:58:41 PM

It may be your PSU, since those take a bit longer to warm up because the tend to have big hunks of metal. A failing PSU can create those symptoms, so be aware of that going forward.
!