Yamaha CDRW/Tekram SCSI/Windows 2000

G

Hey guys, whats up.. I've been having a problem with my scsi card and cd-rw since I've purchased it. I've been told that my problems are normal because scsi is unreliable, especially with windows 2000. I have a Yamaha drive and a cheap Tekram SCSI card running under win2k. On most boot ups, the windows 2000 screen locks up and does not finish booting. Another scenario is when it does finally boot up, the card and drive isn't detected until the last second and when I install it, it locks upthe computer. Then in rare instances, the drive and card are detected normally. And in this rare instace, I try to keep my comptuer running for lolng as possible to avoid going through the migraine-causing problem over again. Please help =)

G

First of all, SCSI is NOT unreliable, the opposite is more true, as it is more reliable than IDE. That said, it can be more difficult to set up, as it requires proper termination to function properly due to the daisy-chain nature.

Tekram makes very good SCSI cards. Just use the original W2K drivers if present, and it should work ok.

You dont state if you have more than just the CDRW connected to the card, so i assume it is. Make sure the jumpers are set correctly on the drive. SCSI requires proper termination on both ends of the chain to function properly. The card usually sets the termination automatically, if not, you can set it in the BIOS or with a jumper on the card. On the CDRW there will be a termination jumper. Make sure the CDRW is on the LAST connector of the SCSI cable and set the TERM jumper on the drive. Make also sure the Adapter is on the FIRST connector of the cable, so all conditions for proper termination are set. DO NOT use connectors in between and leave the ends open, so the calbe will be shorter. It can mess up termination.

Hope this helps.
Good luck,
-AB-