CPU gets up to 64c on max load

Status
Not open for further replies.

thabigpapa

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Hi everyone,

First of all its nice to finally join the crowd here. I've heard much about the reliability and dedicated community of this site. To anyone who takes the time to read this post, I appreciate it!

Alright so I've just upgraded to a Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition. Just yesterday was I truly able to test this beast out with a max load while doing some encoding in Handbrake. The low end temps I see when I'm coming back to my computer is usually around low to mid 30's. Once I start loading up programs and browse the net it will get to the lower 40 range, usually around 42c. While gaming it hits mid 50's. My concern with putting all 6 cores under full load, was about 10 min into the encode it was getting up to 60-64c which I feel is just too hot. The amd website recommends it doesn't go above 62c. I've done no overclocking as of yet, so its running with default mobo voltage and 3.2g per core.

My specs:

MB: ASUS M3N72-D AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI HDMI ATX
Ram: G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3
CPU : AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W
CPU Fan: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm Ceramic CPU Cooler w/ ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound

I used a thin layer of paste on the cpu. I have 3 fully functional case fans, with one each on the front, side, and rear of the case. Unless this is normal for this cpu, if anyone has any ideas on how to cool things down a bit I would greatly appreacte it. I'll be checking this thread throughout the night.

boabs

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
all amd chiips nightmare for heat. i had amd 965 on full load i seen it 70deg and thats was with a therman 2 eclpise and a antec920 liquid cooler.30deg idle soon as get used the hear rockets.

thabigpapa

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

Hey thanks a lot for the info. You were correct. The fan I had on worked fine for my old Phenom 9850, but just wasn't up to spec for the newer stuff. I'm reading into fans now, as I'd shrugged them off in the past thinking as long as it was something different than stock fan you'd be ok...so always good to learn! I've since put on the stock fan that came with the cpu, and notice tremendous improvement. Idling stays in the mid 30's. Testing the same scenario again encoding with Handbrake with all cores running at 100% load, no core ever went higher than 55c.

Thanks for the tip rolli, I really appreciate it! I'll look into the fan you recommended if I plan on doing significant overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.