Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Nvidia 3 way display setup question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 17, 2011 8:58:15 PM

Hey All,

I would like to ask you what 2nd GPU i should buy for my computer to enable 3 way monitors.
Currently i have a gaming/media center pc with a GTX470 and two 22" screens sitting on my desk.
I want to hook up a 3rd 50" flatscreen to my pc as well to watch movies on, if i watch a movie i wont be needing either of the already hooked up 22" screens.

At the moment im switching cables all the time if im going to watch a movie, i dont like to do this since i kinda damage the connector if i switch on a daily basis.

Do i need to get a 2nd GTX470 and enable sli and hook up my 3rd screen or is there another way to fix my problem?
Can i get just a cheap Nvidia card since i only hook up the 50" screen to watch a movie on this 3rd screen ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
July 17, 2011 9:01:08 PM

A 2nd GTX 470 would be a good buy but isn't necessary. If your motherboard supports SLi and your processor can power them it'll obviously give you a nice boost in gaming performance. You can probably use 2 monitors go game if you wanted to should you get a second 470.

If you just want to run the 2nd monitor you can get any video card. I'd suggest something from the 200+ series like a G210.
July 17, 2011 9:52:51 PM

Euhm, i think you might have misunderstood me.
I already have 2 monitors connected and i want to connect a 3rd one.
2x22" for gaming and internet and a 50" just for movies.

I dont need the extra video power of another gtx470 but if there is no other way ill get one.
I hope i can achieve hooking up 3 monitors by getting another cheap Nvidia card beside my GTX470 just so i can hook up the 3rd monitor and not switch cables anymore

cheers
Related resources
a c 168 Î Nvidia
July 18, 2011 12:33:52 PM

browsingtheworld said:
A 2nd GTX 470 would be a good buy but isn't necessary. If your motherboard supports SLi and your processor can power them it'll obviously give you a nice boost in gaming performance. You can probably use 2 monitors go game if you wanted to should you get a second 470.

If you just want to run the 2nd monitor you can get any video card. I'd suggest something from the 200+ series like a G210.

Nvidia cards do not support gaming over dual screens.
July 18, 2011 9:43:53 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Nvidia cards do not support gaming over dual screens.

I also don't want to game on 2 screens........

I have my pc with one GTX470 with 2x 22" screens attached to it and thats fine.

My question is when i want to connect a 3rd screen do i need to buy another gtx470 to make it work OR can i just buy a cheap nvidia card and install it next to my 470 and attach the 3rd screen (only watch movies on that) to that cheap card......

i dont know how i can make myself more clear than this.

Cheers
a c 168 Î Nvidia
July 18, 2011 9:49:36 PM

martyzzz said:
I also don't want to game on 2 screens........

I have my pc with one GTX470 with 2x 22" screens attached to it and thats fine.

My question is when i want to connect a 3rd screen do i need to buy another gtx470 to make it work OR can i just buy a cheap nvidia card and install it next to my 470 and attach the 3rd screen (only watch movies on that) to that cheap card......

i dont know how i can make myself more clear than this.

Cheers

I was responding to browsingtheworld's suggestion that it was possible to game over two screens with an Nvidia card.

In your case you should be able to install pretty much any other card for a third screen, unless you are using Windows Vista of course.

July 22, 2011 12:22:37 PM

Anyhow...

I just got a cheapass Asus Nvidia 210 videocard and installed in my system and hooked up my 50" flatpannel to it.
Didnt even needed to configure anything, it just worked outta the box.
Now i have 2x 22' monitors for normal computing and a 3rd monitor 50" for watching movies in full HD and all working at the same time with no hassle at all.

I didnt really get usefull replies (accept for the reply of browsingtheworld's) in this post but in the end it has been fixed it so maybe some1 else finds this information usefull

Cheers,
Marty
a c 168 Î Nvidia
July 22, 2011 12:24:15 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!