CPU / Chipset Error. Mobo or CPU?

shaggyz9

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
My motherboard is not posting and no diagnostic leds are coming on indicating CPU / Chipset Error according to the manual. I built most of this build in April of this year so its less than year old but always had problems with booting. Before it would occasionally not post or beep (about 5% of the time) but led lights would show that it was normal. I could then flip the PSU switch off and on and try again and it would boot. When it did boot I ran prime95 test for four hours with no errors and have ran various games for multiple hours without errors. BF3, skyrim, Portal. Seemed that everything worked as it should when it booted.

Now no leds come on and all the fans come on except the CPU fan and never POST or beeps and no video. One of the diagnostic leds will come on and go off right away when the power button is pushed.

Here are the specs:
Motherboard: Biostar TA87OU3+
CPU: AMD Phenom II 840 x4 3.2 ghz OC to 3.6 ghz with aftermarket coolermaster hyper 212+ heatsink
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 pc3 12800 4gb x 2 (2 weeks old)
PSU: Rosewill 600 watts RV2-600
Grahpics: AMD Power Color radeon 6850 (2 weeks old)

What I have tested:
1. Unpluged everything and plugged it all back in.
2. Tried every memory slot with just one stick plugged in and tried other stick. Also tried a different 4gb ddr3 stick.
3. Reset CMOS from the switch on the motherboard and by removing battery.
4. Swapped PSU and graphics card with a another pc. Both worked in other pc.
5. Took everything out of the case and only hooked up CPU, PSU. RAM and Graphics Card.
6. Removed heatsink and turned it on for about 3 seconds to see if CPU would heat up. It stayed cold.

I don't have another motherboard with AM3 socket to test with.
What would be the faulty hardware? CPU? Motherboard?

My first guess is a motherboard problem. Once it's on does it have any other problems like BSOD or boot loops? Even though you tried a different PSU that's not the greatest PSU and I would replace it. I've never used Rosewilll but they're probably pretty cheap power supplies. Even though it's 650 watts it might not be really putting out 650 watts.

shaggyz9

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
No I never had any real problems with BSOD the only time it did that was when I was overclocking. That was about 4 months ago and I turned down the overclock and never happened again. PSU might not be a quality one but should still be booting the system since it worked in another system, but Rosewill PSUs are cheap.

Looking at that you tried another working PSU then it is most likely motherboard although the startup issues I have traced to a bad PSU before. Between CPU and motherboard 99% of the time motherboard! If you replace motherboard and still have the same startup issues you know that it was most likely the PSU that killed it!

That's what I was trying to get at that's why I brought up the PSU too. I've seen PSU's that are going to take a dump cause weird problems.