Sony Balony bilgefake reviews

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/movies/235100_fakereviews04.html

Thursday, August 4, 2005

Sony settles suit over fake movie reviews

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

LOS ANGELES -- Sony Pictures Entertainment must pay $1.5 million to settle a
class-action lawsuit accusing the studio of citing a fake movie critic in
ads for several films.

Moviegoers who saw the films "Vertical Limit," "A Knight's Tale," "The
Animal," "Hollow Man" or "The Patriot" during their original theater runs
must file a claim to be eligible for a $5 per ticket reimbursement, lawyer
Norman Blumenthal said Tuesday. He represented a group of filmgoers who sued
Sony Pictures in 2001.

Any funds remaining after claims are satisfied would go to charity, he said.

Sony Pictures declined comment. The studio did not admit any liability under
terms of the settlement.

After the dispute came to light, the studio temporarily suspended two
executives and vowed to monitor its publicity and advertising more closely.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Carolyn Kuhl entered a final judgment in
the case last month, Blumenthal said.

The lawsuit, originally filed by two California moviegoers, claimed the ads
fooled the plaintiffs into seeing "A Knight's Tale."

In one ad for the action-comedy, a critic identified as "David Manning of
The Ridgefield Press" was quoted calling star Heath Ledger "this year's
hottest new star!" In an ad for "The Animal," Manning was quoted declaring,
"The producing team of 'Big Daddy' has delivered another winner!"

At the time, The Ridgefield Press, a small weekly newspaper in Connecticut,
did not have a movie critic named David Manning, the lawsuit said.

Some of the movies Manning praised already had received positive reviews
from real critics.

"Donald Richter" <GrGoblin@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/movies/235100_fakereviews04.html
>
> Thursday, August 4, 2005
>
> Sony settles suit over fake movie reviews
>
> THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
>
> LOS ANGELES -- Sony Pictures Entertainment must pay $1.5 million to settle
> class-action lawsuit accusing the studio of citing a fake movie critic in
> ads for several films.
>
> Moviegoers who saw the films "Vertical Limit," "A Knight's Tale," "The
> Animal," "Hollow Man" or "The Patriot" during their original theater runs
> must file a claim to be eligible for a $5 per ticket reimbursement, lawyer
> Norman Blumenthal said Tuesday. He represented a group of filmgoers who
> sued
> Sony Pictures in 2001.
>
> Any funds remaining after claims are satisfied would go to charity, he
> said.

That's a pretty good settlement from a class action perspective. The folks
that got tricked into seeking those movies can almost afford a matinee.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

Donald Richter wrote:

how is this relevant to the ps2?
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 lonesw0rdsman <ga@lone.com> wrote:

> What the hell is " You Got Served" ? Hehe.

a. A really stupid movie.
b. A hilarious South Park episode.

(got something in my front pocket indeed!)