I've problem with Windows Fire Wall service on my PC, please help

chrpachev

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Hello,
I’m running Win 7 Ultimate 32-bit OS on my home PC (CPU Intel, Core2 Duo, 3GHz).
I ‘m in front of problems, which I’d like to share with you and hopefully to get some help.
I entered the Control Panel in order to find out the reason for the situation and found the following:
1. Entering: Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center on my PC, I saw a message under Security:
“The Windows Security Center service is turned off”
And
Clicking on the ‘Turn on now’ button I get:
“The Windows Security Center service can’t be started”.
2. Entering Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Firewall, I saw another surprising message:
“Update your FireWall Settings
Windows FireWall is not using the recommended
settings to protect your computer”
When clicking on the “Use recommended settings” button, I get the following error msg:
“Windows FireWall can’t change some of your settings
Error code 0x80070424”.
3. . Entering :Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Firewall\Advanced settings I get the message in the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security window:
“The Windows Firewall with Advanced Security snap-in failed to load. Restart the Windows Firewall service on the computer that you are managing. Error code: 0x6D9”.
4. Entering the List of services (from the Task Manager) I can’t see the Windows Firewall service at all as it is not listed! And can’t be restarted as well.

As the above messages concern the Windows security system of my computer I would like to know if the computer is in a real dangerous state. And what should I do to correct it.
I’m using MS Security Essentials and Malwarebites’ Anti-Malware; both apps report no infections on my computer).
I do hope someone help me. Thanks.
C.J.P

Sounds like you need to windows system restore.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/700-system-restore.html

Check if Windows firewall is ticked in msconfig. Also check if Windows firewall and its dependent process is started automatically from computer management>services and applications>services.

chrpachev

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

@ksiemb

Please, be more specific, What do you mean - restore from a restore point or from backup? Ok, one of these could be the final solution, but I'm not sure when my problems appeared (I discovered them occasionally).
Anyway, thank for your reply.

C.J.P

chrpachev

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
@ Pyree,
Thanks for your reply!

Pyree, I run ms config. The result was the same - there was not Windows Firewall service listed (same what the Task Manager reported). So it is impossible to start the service this way nor too see dependencies of it.
But today I checked a PC running the same version of Win 7 Ultimate and found that the name of the Win Firewall service had been MpsSvc and the Path to the executable - C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k Local ServiceNoNetwork. The dependencies of it were defined as:
- Base Filtering Engine (for now I'm unfamiliar with it)
- Windows Firewall Authorization Driver (this driver exists in the Drivers folder of my PC but I don't know if I should start it how to do that).
So I'm still very curious to understand what caused the problems for my PC and how to get rid of it.
So i'll appreciate any advise and help.

C.J.P