Sign in with
Your question

Risks in Switching PSUs?

Last response: in Components
December 19, 2011 12:22:36 AM

I've heard that switching the PSU of a computer can occasionally bring up major problems like frying the system and such. Are there really that many risks in doing a PSU switch or is it not that big of a deal as long as I plug things in correctly?

Also is it as difficult as some make it out to be?

More about : risks switching psus

a c 274 ) Power supply
December 19, 2011 12:36:51 AM

I've never encountered any issues switching out a psu.
Just take your time and be careful removing connections from mobo.
Many are stubborn from being attached for so long.
Turn off the psu switch at the back,unplug the power cord.
Depress the case power switch and ground yourself.
Pretty much straight forward stuff.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
December 19, 2011 12:35:47 PM

:hello:  TJ. Welcome to the forums.

Like davcon said, there's little risk. It may be a little tedious, but it is a relatively straight forward process.

If you are new at this (and it sounds like you are), I recommend you make a list of what you disconnected, then check the items off as you install the new Psu.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b ) Power supply
December 19, 2011 12:58:15 PM

Very low risk as Long as you:
1) Goolge a review of the "New" PSU you are thinking of Buying. make sure it is a QUALITY unit.
2) I normally follow this up by reviewing custommer reponses @ newegg.

With the "quality" PSU, as stated the risks are very low - Ofcoarse it is alway possible to get a bad PSU even from the best manufs. Normally the PSUs from these companies are setup to protect the computer in the event of a failure . As davcon, I've never had a problem.

With "LOW" quality PSUs, the risk increases, not only in initial installation, but also downstream.
m
l
December 20, 2011 3:51:32 AM

I recommend you make a list of what you disconnected, then check the items off as you install the new Psu.
m
l
!