Sign in with
Your question

About to pull the trigger on a new build

Last response: in Systems
September 17, 2011 6:59:22 PM

Hey all, I really want to get a new build to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I'm ready to purchase the parts, but I want to make sure the parts I am getting are all compatible with each other (Such as GPU fitting in case, etc)

·CPU: $219.95 Intel Core i5 Processor i5-2500K 3.3GHz 6MB

·Mobo: $159.99 Gigabyte Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2133 LGA 1155 Motherboards GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

·GPU: $269.99 HIS Radeon HD 6950 IceQ X Turbo 2GB GDDR5

·Memory: $52.99 Corsair Vengeance Blu 8 GB PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory

·Case: $44.99 Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case

·PSU: $104.99 Corsair Enthusiast Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply 750TX v2

·Hard Drive: $59.99 Samsung Desktop Class Spinpoint F3 1 TB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 32 MB Cache

·Optical Drive: $18.99 Sony 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive

·CPU Cooler: $29.66 Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

·OS: $91.98 Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack

·Thermal Paste: $7.25 Mad Dog Techie Toyz Arctic Silver 5

·HDMI Cable: $2.54 HDMI Cable 2M (6 Feet)

Grand Total: $1,063.31

What do you think?

More about : pull trigger build

September 17, 2011 7:16:29 PM

Is the MX-2 as good as the MX-4? Asking because the MX-4 isn't eligible for Amazon Prime (Free 2 day shipping/no tax)

Also, I'm wondering if I should wait until Bulldozer/Ivy Bridge or something else on the horizon (New video cards?) if it means getting a better or cheaper rig in a few months.
m
l
Related resources
September 17, 2011 7:44:57 PM

Haven't tried the mx-2 but it's said to be pretty good too, but I've tried MX-3 and it's almost the same, though it's discontinued(the mx-3).

Bulldozer and hd7xxx cards should be out within the next couple months or so, If you're not itching to upgrade it'd be wise to wait and see.
m
l
September 17, 2011 8:29:00 PM

Any similar low profile ram around the price of the regular vengeance? I don't know much about what ram is good.
m
l
September 17, 2011 8:56:06 PM

It won't interfere with your heatsink if you place it on the 2 slots farther from the CPU.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 17, 2011 9:15:57 PM

You want 1600mhz, DDR3, CAS Latency 9, and 1.5V. Most brands of RAM will fit just fine - you don't need it to necessarily say low profile - it just happens that the corsair vengance are really tall. Just make sure that the heat spreaders don't go much higher than the actual RAM.

The corsair vengence RAM is fine so you don't have to change the brand or anything. If you want a pretty good list you can look here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
You do want to pick a good ram - I would go corsair, g.skills, or mushkin.
m
l
September 17, 2011 9:20:31 PM

Also, @wiinippongamer, the gif in your signature totally fooled me.[/quotemsg]

Really?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 17, 2011 9:24:21 PM

You don't want to use four sticks of 2GB ram. If you want to upgrade later you'll have to throw away all your ram and buy new ones. If you get a 2x4GB kit then when you upgrade to 16GB you can add another 8GB without replacing it all. And if you do go with four sticks of 2GB anyway, you want them all from the same kit. Four sticks of ram from two kits will work noticably worse than four sticks from the same kit. that's why they sell them it kits - because the whole kit is tested to work together.

CAS latency 7 will theoretically be faster than CAS latency 9, but I can't think of an application where it would make a difference. I definitely wouldn't pay almost double for it.

wiinippongamer said:
It won't interfere with your heatsink if you place it on the 2 slots farther from the CPU.

Whatever configuration you use make sure to read your mobo manual to ensure you're using it in a dual channel instead of single channel configuration. it'll make a big difference. Also...since it doesn't make a difference, you might as well just buy RAM that will fit underneath your fan.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 17, 2011 9:27:07 PM

wiinippongamer said:
Also, @wiinippongamer, the gif in your signature totally fooled me.

Really?

I tried to squish it on my monitor
m
l
September 17, 2011 9:30:27 PM

As long is neither of the kits is faulty it wont work "noticeably worse", it'll be exactly the same as if you bought it as a whole kit.

When I set my memory to 1333 cas 7 from 1600 cas 9 I gain about 4fps average on gta4, which is about 7% performance gain, I can only think 1600 cas7 will be even faster.

On a Dual channel mobo:

1 or 3 sticks = single channel
2 or 4 sticks= dual channel.

so there's no way he could be using single channel by mistake.
m
l
September 17, 2011 9:42:12 PM

jahrasta311 said:
Hey all, I really want to get a new build to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I'm ready to purchase the parts, but I want to make sure the parts I am getting are all compatible with each other (Such as GPU fitting in case, etc)

I think it looks sweet -- thoughtfully put together.
Tho' I'd opt for this Antec PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Newegg reviews suggest more reliability (i.e. - fewer DOAs or early mortality)
than the one you've chosen.

And +1 to danraies re: getting low profile RAM.
m
l
September 17, 2011 10:02:06 PM

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm trying to stick to Amazon (for Amazon Prime) for parts because I live in CA where we get taxed up the ass for this stuff. I found the Antec PSU on Amazon, but I still don't know what ram to get.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 17, 2011 10:08:17 PM

wiinippongamer said:
As long is neither of the kits is faulty it wont work "noticeably worse", it'll be exactly the same as if you bought it as a whole kit.

It's possible I guess that "noticeably" is an exaggeration, but buying four sticks in one kit is better than buying four sticks in two kits. Coming out of the same batch does make a difference.

wiinippongamer said:

When I set my memory to 1333 cas 7 from 1600 cas 9 I gain about 4fps average on gta4, which is about 7% performance gain, I can only think 1600 cas7 will be even faster.

What I should have said is the difference between latency 7 and 9 is not worth $40. I guess that's an opinion, but cas 9 is pretty standard with sandy bridge.

wiinippongamer said:

On a Dual channel mobo:

1 or 3 sticks = single channel
2 or 4 sticks= dual channel.

so there's no way he could be using single channel by mistake.

I didn't know that, but it seems reasonable. I do know, however, that my motherboard manual has a recommended configuration for 1, 2, and 3 sticks of RAM.
m
l
September 17, 2011 10:17:02 PM

jahrasta311 said:
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm trying to stick to Amazon (for Amazon Prime) for parts because I live in CA where we get taxed up the ass for this stuff. I found the Antec PSU on Amazon, but I still don't know what ram to get.

This is as low-profile as it gets: http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-Modules-KHX16...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 17, 2011 10:18:04 PM

I guess we got a little off topic here @OP. wiinippongamer and I can talk about the differences between cas latency, two kits vs. one kit, the value of $40, and slot configurations somewhere else.

Bottom line for you is that latency 9, 1600mhz, and 1.5V is about normal. 1333mhz is fine but costs about the same as 1600mhz so you should go 1600mhz. 1.5V is what is recommended for use with your processor. The corsair vengance ram that you chose is a good choice - just make sure to get the low profile kind to fit under your heatsink.

Mushkin, Kingston, and Corsair all put out ram with very low profiles. I have the G.Skills ripjaw and it clears the heat sink just fine.
m
l
September 17, 2011 10:45:13 PM

corsair vengeance also has low profile rams, if you're afraid of the tall heatsinks

cas, honestly doesn't matter in real world scenarios, you will see no difference from your day to day computing, i wouldn't spend an extra 50$ for the lower cas. find the cheapest one you can from good brands that people have already listed... corsair, mushkin, g.skill, etc.

one recommendation that i would change is your case, the antec series have pretty much 0 cable management, i've had a 900, it was awful in that aspect. i would say get this... hands down best case for this price range

CM HAF 912

There's also no need for the 2GB 6950, unless you're going to do multi monitor or gaming on a 30'' screen. anything 1080p or below, you should get the 1GB version and save some money. On practically every benchmark, there is 0% difference the two, only except the situations above I mentioned comes into play.

I agree with wiini on the thermal paste, the mx-4 is a solid choice over the AS5. everything else looks good to me :) 

if you live near a microcenter, pick up the 2500k from there instead, 194$ after tax, saved me about 40$ when i got mines.
m
l
September 17, 2011 10:54:20 PM

I'm on a 24" ViewSonic LED at 1080p. I would like to max out games and use AF/AA, plus have something that is more futureproof. Would you still suggest I go 1 GB 6950 over 2 GB?
m
l
September 17, 2011 11:07:04 PM

Yes, 1GB all the way. The only thing ram does is for frame buffering, and it helps with multi monitor or huge 30''. At 1080, you will see virtually no difference in gaming. Here's a quick bench of it for you so you can see the actually differences.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/02/24/amd_radeon_hd...
m
l
September 17, 2011 11:18:07 PM

With all due respect, I think I will stick with the 2GB version as it's not that much more expensive, and if I decide to crossfire in the future, I won't be limited with the memory.
m
l
September 17, 2011 11:25:31 PM

Whatever is good for you :)  just throwing out possible suggestions to help you ^^
m
l
September 17, 2011 11:47:36 PM

Thank you for doing so, but since I'm dropping a G on a new rig, I am not too worried about 30-40 extra bucks for something that could help out down the line. I will use your suggestion of the HAF 92, since I didn't know which to choose out of the 2 cases, and chose the Antec because it was 15 dollars cheaper. I didn't know the HAF 92 had better cable management.
m
l
September 17, 2011 11:56:46 PM

I'd get the cheaper one regarding mem, if you fell more comfortable with corsair there's this: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Memory-Channel-240-Pin-CM...

I think the HAF is worth the price difference it has significantly better cooling, and looks better than the antec for me.

Also do get the 2gb for future proofing, a few games that are demanding already utilize almost all mem on a 1g card, crysis, crysis 2, gtaiv, metro 2033 are examples.
m
l
September 18, 2011 1:17:43 AM

Thanks, that is great information to know. I didn't see the voltage for the kingston, should have looked up the specs on their site.

However, now I am looking at the dimensions of the G.Skill vs. Vengeance on Amazon.

G.Skill says 8.3 x 7.1 x 0.8 inches

Vengeance says 6 x 0.5 x 3 inches

Wouldn't that imply that the G.Skill is 4 inches taller than the Vengeance? Or is that measurement completely off, or am I being retarded.
m
l
September 18, 2011 1:22:26 AM

Looking at the pics, those measurements can't be right. Not sure why it says that.
m
l
September 18, 2011 1:28:24 AM

jahrasta311 said:
Looking at the pics, those measurements can't be right. Not sure why it says that.

Probably the packaging measurements.

Amazon can be confusing that way.
You may wish to cross-reference the vendor ID of what you're buying
on a computer-hardware-specific site.
m
l
September 18, 2011 1:32:34 AM

I tried to look em up on their site but they don't have the dimensions listed. Do you have a site in mind that I could look them up on?
m
l
September 18, 2011 3:45:19 AM

What I did was:
1) Go to the Amazon item (e.g. - that Kingston RAM)
2) Scroll to the Product Details section & get the Item Model Number
(in this example, "KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX"
3) Search that number in Google & review the hits for hardware vendors
(in this example, NewEgg & TigerDirect)
Both of those vendors show the voltage as 1.65
m
l
September 18, 2011 4:40:55 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Memory-Channel-240-Pin-CM...

I have the exact same sticks with a hyper 212+ so they will fit.

AND you can run 1.65v on sandybridge without any problem, Intel recommended 1.5v on nehalem(x58) also, and alot of people still used 1.7v+ high speed kits.

Read this thread: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1223495&mpage=1

This should fit well also: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Profile-PC3-128... just wait till they come stock
m
l
September 18, 2011 5:12:14 AM

For the Corsair XMS3, what do they mean by:
Tested Voltage 1.65
SPD Voltage 1.5
m
l
September 18, 2011 5:24:14 AM

SPD are like basic profiles, which go from 800-1333 mhz, the 1600 is actually a XMP "intel xtreme memory profile", if it doesn't detect it in your motherboard it'll run at 1333 by default, but then you can easily set the proper values yourself from the BIOS, which is what I did.

Tested means that was the voltage they tested the memory was stable at for the advertised specs.

Note how it is noted XMP as a SPD extension.
m
l
September 19, 2011 1:13:37 AM

So in this case, would that memory be a fit for the mobo I selected or not?
m
l
!