PSU recommendation for a SLI OC Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

count-_onme

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Hey guys, Im building a new System, but I don't know which PSU to get. I will have 2 560's in SLI and I plan on overclocking them down the road. I also will have an I5-2500k which I also plan to overclock. How much power do I need? Is 750W enough, or should I go for 850W? Which PSU will have enough connectors for my rig? Which brand should I get? THANKS ALOT.

Intel Core™ i5-2500K Processor, 3.30GHz w/ 6MB Cache × 1

Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Gen 3 w/ DDR3 1600, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, 1394, PCI-E, Quad CrossFireX / SLI

Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Quad Channel Kit (4 x 4GB) × 1

Samsung SH-S243D 24x DVD-Writer, SATA, Black × 1

Gigabyte GV-N56GOC-1GI GeForce GTX 560 OC 1GB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort × 2

Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12 SATA III w/ 32MB Cache

I think you need two 6 pin PCI express power connectors. I also agree the 850W might be a good choice, power supplies operate at their best efficiency around 50% load. Plus its nice to have a PSU that will grow with you.
I'd say look for a 5 year warranty. Its up to you if you want a certification. I have a NZXT Hale 90 Gold which I paid about $140 for that I am very happy with, its a Super flower and a top rated model. It is almost completely modular, with only the 24 pin and 12V ATX 4/8 pin being hardwired. As a modder, I prefer modular supplies. If you can get a gold rating and modular for around $150, that will be a great power supply.

I like Enermax, Antec, Corsair, some Kingwin models, and XFX is coming out with some nice ones. And Seasonic who is actually the OEM some of the better PSUs out there, including corsair and Antec.

Check Jonnyguru for reviews. There are some real gems out there that may not be the most popualr model, its the components that really matter. I think the high current gamer series from Antec is nice.

First of all, two 560's will need a total of four 6 pin connectors.

Second, if you are going to run 2 medium powered GPU's, any 750 watt PSU is not going to have many unused cables. With just 2 or 3 unused cables, I think that modular is a rather useless expense.

weezys_advocate

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Please do not buy a tx series corsair power supply, whilst they are very good PSU's they are very loud for what they are. i owned one and easily the loudest fan in the pc at iddle. corsair AX series would be a better choice if wanted corsair

Status
Not open for further replies.