Which graphics card would you suggest?

RoboKant211

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I just got a desktop from a computer store that furbishes engineering computers for personal use. Right now I'm using the basic graphics chip built into the motherboard, but I would like to get a new graphics card for gaming. I have a PCI express slot and a 350 watt power supply charger. The kind of games I'd like to play are a few years old (Elder Scrolls IV era). What graphics cards would you suggest I look into buying with a $150 budget? Let me know if you need more info.

It would help to know what sort of CPU you have, and a brand and model on the power supply, model of the motherboard.

For older games like Oblivion something like the Radeon HD 5670 would handle those games well, they go for around 60 to 70 dollars these days, and would probably run on your PSU, it's not a very power hungry card, and it won't be bottlenecked severely by an older CPU.

RoboKant211

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I neglected to read the advise section on postings before posting this. Oops. My PC has an Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHz processor, 1.99 GB of available physical memory, and my monitor is at 1440x900 screen resolution. As I mentioned previously, I plan on using the graphics card primarily for gaming (Elder Scrolls IV and NWN 2 would be the "newest" games I'd be playing), and I have a PCI express slot with a 350 watt power supply and a $150 budget.

Your CPU is probably going to be your biggest bottleneck with some of the games you want to play, a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz is actually the minimum requirement for NWN 2. Don't expect great framerates at high settings with that game, regardless of what video card you get.

Could you open up your case and get more information about your power supply? "350 Watt" could mean anything. Some 350 Watt PSUs will run some video cards fine, others will blow up if used on anything except the lowest end systems using integrated graphics.

Assuming your power supply is up to it, I wouldn't recommend anything higher than the Radeon HD 5670 with that CPU, anything better than that is going to be severely bottlenecked by a single core CPU. At your resolution a 5670 can handle older games just fine, assuming the CPU doesn't slow it down.