Best Graphics Card.

justjohn5

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Hey everyone. I just want to know what graphics card would be best for me and my budget.
My budget for a graphics card is anything up until $350.
When gaming I will be using a 24 inch monitor, with 1920x1080 resolution.
I think I will only be playing on one monitor, I do not plan on playing with multiple monitors.
I will not be playing in 3d for a long time, so that should not even be an option :]

Will I want to have dual gpu's?
No. I am only looking for one graphics card for the time being, one that can make out most games (Total War Series, Wow, Rift, and Guild Wars2 when it comes out) at my resolution.
Possibly, in the future I will buy another one of the same cards, but I am not 100% sure yet.
So, which graphics card(s) do you guys recommend for me?

justjohn5

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
so I think this is the competition:
HD 6950 2gb vs GTX 570 vs 6970.
I think I will be going Sli or Crossfire but not any time soon.
So out of these three cards, which performs better?
I will have multiple games to play and I want to make sure all of them can run amazingly with my given resolution.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
It's a toss up between the 6970 and the 570. It really depends on the game with wich of these cards will be better and they roughly cost the same. You may want to research the particular games you are playing and will play in the future to see how they perform with those. What will be the deciding factor, I think, is the Xfire vs SLI.

AMD as really upped their game when it comes to multi gpu set ups this generation. The scaling of Crossfire is much better than the SLI scaling in the HD series vs the 5 series.

In other words, Xfire 6970's > SLI Gtx570 by a noticeable amount. So my suggestion would be to go for the 6970.

justjohn5

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Can you find a link that shows the noticeable amount?
I do not understand why, I am edging more to the gtx 570.
This will be my first build and I really do not want to mess anything up.