Sign in with
Your question
Closed

DEsktop Gaming questions, suggestions?

Last response: in CPUs
December 19, 2011 8:59:28 AM

Okay so I'm about to build my first rig, I don't know if Crysis 2 is more demanding or BF3 but basically what I want is a desktop that will handle any game today, and a lot of games in the future at the best settings. So here's the parts that I've come up with, let me know if there are any problems and so on, and btw i chose these parts because they fit on my budget.

NZXT Phantom
Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor
Asrock Z68 Extreme 4
Sapphire HD6950 2048 MB Size 256bit Toxic (heard that it can be switched to a 6970)
Gskill Ripjaws-X 8gb 4gbx2 DDR3 1333 CL9
Corsair 800watts
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB, 32mb, WD10EALX Sata3

Can anyone also educate me on cooling this build since I haven't been able to read anything on cooling a desktop.

Best solution

a c 112 à CPUs
December 19, 2011 9:41:35 AM

you could save some coin by getting a smaller psu. 550-650 would work just as well and maybe a little more efficient.

cooling you can go 2 ways. you can get a sealed water unit which will save some space inside. or get air cooling with a decent cpu cooler and fan.
almost any cpu cooler for your socket will do the job, some better than others but a lot of the cooling depends on the quality of the fan/s you use. noctua do some of the heftiest cpu cooler and some of the best fans. but if you cant quite streatch to that budget then something like the thermolabs baram with a yate loon 2200rpm fan will give almost (within 1-2 degrees) the same results for less than half the money. although when it maxes out it will be quite noisy.
so you may want to shop around for something that works almost as well but has a variable range of speeds, so its quitet at idle and reasonable at load. the gentle typhoon series are good for this.
Related resources
December 20, 2011 4:07:15 AM

And for how long do you think an i5 will last? I want it to take years before I upgrade.
Score
December 20, 2011 4:34:46 AM

freshbuilder said:
And for how long do you think an i5 will last? I want it to take years before I upgrade.

This could help http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-2....
I think the i5 2500k is one of the best CPUs you can get for the price. So you can save on CPU and invest more in graphics, which is the main factor when it comes to games I think.
Score
a c 185 à CPUs
December 20, 2011 6:46:44 AM

corsair h100 for cooling! Or xspc liquid cooling kit!
Score
January 1, 2012 9:52:24 PM

Best answer selected by Freshbuilder.
Score
!