Closed Solved

Is it a reasonable time to upgrade mobo / CPU?

Hi

I'm currently running a Q9950 CPU, and have been toying for a while now with updating my motherboard and cpu to an i5 or i7. I always have a number of pc's in the house and the parts get cascaded down, so the Q9950 would still be seeing very active service.

I appreciate that this is a very vague question, but I've been out of the loop for a while now on latest technologies. Is now a reasonably decent time to upgrade? Or are there any new CPU forms just about to break? I'd certainly be looking for something that's competitive for a number of years to come, but would rather wait a couple of months if things are moving fairly fast.

Any guidance or views appreciated! I'm assuming I should definitely be looking at i7 rather than i5 for gaming and intensive batch tasks.

CW
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about reasonable time upgrade mobo
  1. The Q9950 is still holding its own with the lower end i7 and i5.

To get a big enough jump in performance you'd have to drop $/£1k+ on a system, so it really is upto you.
  2. Best answer
    There's never an ideal time to upgrade as pc technology is constantly changing. There's always something "just around the corner." With that being said there are two paths I'd recommend today.

LGA2011 - This is the X79 chipset, supports 40 lanes of pci-e, if you're planning a sli/crossfire consideration then it's worth taking a look at. The downside is it currently only supports two cpus, The 3990X at a whopping 1059.99 or the 3930K at 599.99. Both are hexacore cpus that while great for production aren't exactly the best solution for gaming. It's available right now.

LGA1155 - Ivy Bridge. This is the die shrunk (22nm) tick cycle of Sandy Bridge. It'll have higher multipliers, lower tdp, pci-e 3.0 support. It'll be the mainstream choice of gamers. It's not yet available but should be Q1 2012. If you're going to be mainly gaming at typical resolutions on a single monitor then I'd suggest waiting for it rather than jumping on Sandy Bridge now.
  3. wait for ivybridge in april, it may (or may not) shake the prices up a little.
  4. You have the 9650 or 9550 ? If you are only gaming there is very little reason to upgrade.
    An overclock (if possible) is a way better move.
  5. Thanks for some excellent replies here. Really handy and informative. It's the 9650 I'm using. The idea of holding fire for the new mainstream platform sounds like the sensible one for me. Thanks again.
  6. boogaloo said:
    Thanks for some excellent replies here. Really handy and informative. It's the 9650 I'm using. The idea of holding fire for the new mainstream platform sounds like the sensible one for me. Thanks again.

If you are only gaming there is no reason to upgrade at all just learn to overclock.
  7. Best answer selected by boogaloo.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Intel i5 Product