How to tell if CPU is dead?

adomolis

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
hello Dear Community :)

Yesterday My PC refused to turn on. At first it booted for 5 secs, then turned off. After that, no matter what I did it just turns on for like 100 milliseconds (moves fans a little) and goes instantly off. Tried resetting CMOS, tried pulling out hdd's, vga, rams, piece by piece but it stays the same - turn on for a super short period and instantly off. I tried changing the PSU - and yet again its the same. So now the problem either on motherboard or either CPU. I dont have a spare lga1155 cpu to test it, and I dont have a friend who has an lga1155 one.

So the question is - how to find out which is defected - Mainboard or CPU ?

My rig:
Asus P8P67 motherboard
Intel 2600K (ran @ 4,2 ghz on turbo)
16 gigs of corsair vengeance
570gtx
64 gb ocz ssd + 1gb hdd
700W OCZ power supply

Thank you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems.

This checklist and related links might help. If it still won't post after disconnecting all drives and trying each ram stick one at a time, request an rma from asus. Pack the board carefully to prevent damage. It usually takes 2-3 weeks to get a replacement.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Had a similar problem, after 1 month usage in brand new PC.
Even the 100 milliseconds on with fan moving a little before turn off.

Conclusion: dead Asus P8P67 Pro.

The only way to tell for certain is by substituting known good parts.

Disconnect everything from the motherboard except the PSU, CPU and heatsink, case speaker, and power switch. If those few components are working properly, you should hear long single beeps from the case speaker, signifying missing memory.

Silence indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU. You have already tried a different PSU. CPU's seldom fail and you have tried a diferent PSU, so the next most likely suspect is the motherboard.

adomolis

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Yeah... I guess its motherboard then. Anyways, the Sandy Bridges are said to be very reliable and even on shittiest circumstances when others fail, it still keeps working. I'll just send the MB for warranty.

failingnotion

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
I had nearly your exact same build (except a 1000w PSU) I had the same problem come up. I confirmed that the GPU, RAM, PSU were not the problem. I out the computer totally apart and reset everything. After that the computer would turn on... turn off instantly but after a few seconds it would turn on and look to run normally, except no post beeps and nothing showed up on screen. I've ordered a new mobo to see if that is the problem. I hope it is. otherwise what a waste of a i7.

adomolis

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Mine was cpu dead. Got a replacement from Intel as it was still under warranty.

failingnotion

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

I replaced my mobo and still had a blank screen. I too must conclude that it is my CPU. thanks for letting me know.

Milan92

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016

Was it your CPU that was faulty/dead?