P8Z77-V LK Intel vs. ASMedia USB 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

thisismyalias

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Hello. Can anyone tell me which is which? In the specification list for the P8Z77-V LK, on the Asus site, it says:

Intel Z77 chipset : *6
4 x USB 3.0 port(s) (2 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)
ASMedia USB 3.0 controller : *6
2 x USB 3.0 port(s) (2 at back panel, blue)

Well on the back of the board are 4 USB 3.0 ports, and the description above says both are blue, so uhh...which is which?

Why is it important to know which is which? They are all usb 3.0. If it's really important to know then you could delete the Asmedia controller in device manager and see which one works and then relaod the drivers from the motherboard cd.

Instead of deleting the controller just go into the bios and disable the Asmedia controller and then when your done enable it.

thisismyalias

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Sometimes it's just nice to know your new equipment. In this case I've read that Intel's SATA ports are preferred over ASMedia (or any other 3rd parties'), and I thought the same may be true for the USB ports.

You're test from bios is good, and obvious; feel guilty for not thinking of that. Thank you.

cipher_nemo

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
I know this is an old topic, but it still shows up in search engines for those troubleshooting USB 3.0 issues on this motherboard.

I did my own research, and discovered which USB 3.0 ports in the back are connected to the Intel Z77 chipset, and which are connected to the ASMedia chip. When looking at the back of the motherboard, the two ports to the left are Intel, and the two ports to the right (closer to the audio ports) are ASMedia. Image: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B6KKJ-gY8SIJN2hfU1hxTVVoem8

This motherboard has separate drivers to install for each, and the ASMedia ports can be disabled in the BIOS. The ASMedia ports are a little wonky for legacy support, so don't use them for your keyboard and mouse, or to boot USB flash drives.

I hope this helps someone in the future who's searching for this like I did. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.