Sign in with
Your question

3D Vission + Multiple 3D Monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 18, 2011 8:49:53 AM

I recently did a major rebuild on my system, and also purchased a 3D capable monitor since I had upgraded to dual EVGA 560's. I was considering buying two additional monitors so I could have 3D surround as well, but I am not sure if either:

1) it is possible to have multiple 3D vission + x3 3D monitors,

and/or

2) would there really be any benefit of x3 3D monitors or just overkill?

Otherwise I would just use 2 LCD monitors for the side monitors. Thanks in advance!
a b C Monitor
July 18, 2011 10:00:42 AM

Brokenlogic said:
I recently did a major rebuild on my system, and also purchased a 3D capable monitor since I had upgraded to dual EVGA 560's. I was considering buying two additional monitors so I could have 3D surround as well, but I am not sure if either:
1) it is possible to have multiple 3D vission + x3 3D monitors,
and/or
2) would there really be any benefit of x3 3D monitors or just overkill?
Otherwise I would just use 2 LCD monitors for the side monitors. Thanks in advance!

1) Yes, I have seen a triple 3D monitor using nVidia once in a demo. It works and I'm surprised that the active glass works with the three (3) 3D monitor smoothly.

2) Unfortunately, I only saw the setup in a demo & did not have the experience to play long hours to have meaningful comment.
I can only afford normal TV's for Eyefinity. But if you can afford it, go for it. There is no such thing as overkill when you want to be on the cutting edge/extreme of technology.

My only worry is whether playing 3D is sustainable over long hours ( I mean will it cause headache?). I myself have not played 3D long enough since I currently game in Eyefinity.

m
l
July 18, 2011 10:32:56 AM

Thanks for the input. I was hoping to find someone that has either seen a demo in person, or has done this set up.
m
l
Related resources
July 20, 2011 9:58:53 AM

If I were to go with the x3 surround monitor would I be able to just have the center one as the 3D one?

Or would it cause problems for the other 2?

Thanks again for the input.
m
l
a b C Monitor
July 20, 2011 10:27:11 AM

^It's a tough question. The 3D set up I saw have all 3monitors in 3D.
If you are asking about it in AMD cards, I can configure my rig as such. I have a 3D TV ( works with AMD HD3D of my HD 6950) which I can configure as the central monitor & 2 other TV's to be configured as the sides. But since you are asking about nVidia, I wouldn't know.
m
l
July 27, 2011 6:26:49 AM

Start with one 3D monitor for now and see how your computer performs with it before moving forward to 3D surround.

Keep in mind Stereoscopic 3D does cut frame rates in half, since you're processing not one, but two images simultaneously. So make sure you've tweaked your system enough to handle 3D surround.
m
l
!