Your question

Why doesnt my XP have DOS sound?

Tags:
  • DOS
  • Dell
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
December 5, 2001 7:44:12 PM

I don't have the built in DOS sound support winxp is supposed to have? why?
and what version is the newest? Mine says winxp version 2002 but i thought i had build 2600...

"dude your getting a dell", is that kid trying to say he wants to stick his 'dell' in you?

More about : doesnt dos sound

December 5, 2001 9:44:22 PM

what sound card and does it support xp in dos?
December 5, 2001 10:44:40 PM

xp is supposed to have dos sound blaster emulation built in the operating system for all soundcards.

"dude your getting a dell", is that kid trying to say he wants to stick his 'dell' in you?
Related resources
January 12, 2002 12:02:50 AM

Probably because all DOS / legacy support in Windows XP is non-existent. XP is now a true 32-bit OS based on the NT kernal... basically what that means is no DOS period. You have a 'command line' interface but that isn't really DOS. What are you attempting to run anyway that still requires DOS support for a sound card?
January 12, 2002 2:22:57 AM

"DOS"

Hmmmmmm. Let's see...

Win95 == MsDos 7.0 (16 bit)
Win98 == MsDos 7.1 (16 bit)
WinMe == Msdos 7.2 (16 bit)

WinNT4.0 == Nt4.0 (32 bit)
Win2k == Nt5.0 (32 bit)
WinXP == Nt5.1 (32 bit)

Linux == Unix Clone (32 bit)
FreeBSD == Unix Clone (32 bit)
Unix == Friggin' started back in 1969!?!?! What the hell was it back then?!?!?! 4 bit?

(hint: there's a pattern)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ejsmith2 on 01/11/02 11:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 13, 2002 8:03:51 PM

Actually I still play the Kings Quest, Space Quest and Quest for Glory games. I have beat most of them but I like to go back and play them everyonce in while.

They just dont make games like those anymore.

Like my post below said, I read somewhere that there was going to be basic Sound Blaster emu in winxp..?

January 14, 2002 5:25:18 PM

There is basic support there.. but only WINDOWS support.. no DOS. That means if your games work in Windows XP and use DirectX, you'll get sound. What they mean by basic support is that none of the 'advanced' features are supported. (IE ATi Radeon had basic DirectX support with WinXP default driver, but no OpenGL support. To get full driver, you had to download it from ATi). If the games actually run, that's fine, but there are NO DOS drivers in Windows XP... so unless you have a legacy sound card, you won't get any sound in DOS-based games.
!