Random Stuttering on Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgamito

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Please help me track what's wrong with my computer, it's driving me nuts those random stutterings, sometimes more frequent, othertimes less, but pretty annoying, it stutters all the system (audio/video..moving the mouse!)
I've downloaded latencyMon and put it to scan until the comp stutters.
those were the results i got:
2dcgwhz.jpg

2hmd25w.png

nmhzr5.png

faa0x3.png
Please help me!
Thanks in advance :)

jgamito

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
I forgot to add this:
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:36:39 (h:mm:ss) on all processors in the system.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name: WASD
OS version: Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200 (x64)
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz
Logical processors: 2
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 3199 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed: 3001,0 MHz
Measured CPU speed: 2844,0 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED KERNEL TIMER LATENCIES
Highest measured kernel timer latency (µs): 112722,224194

MEASURED SMIs AND CPU STALLS
Highest measured SMI, IPI or CPU stall (µs) 0,682402

REPORTED DPCs
Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 113690,036321
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: tcpip.sys - Controlador TCP/IP, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0,238934
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: USBPORT.SYS - Controlador de Portas USB 1.1 e 2.0, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0,851567

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 4941537
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 1096
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED ISRs
Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 140,965012
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: ataport.SYS - ATAPI Driver Extension, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0,059910
Driver with highest ISR total time: ataport.SYS - ATAPI Driver Extension, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0,116772

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 1660073
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Process with highest pagefault count: none

Total number of hard pagefaults 46327
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 18478
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 5477563,418527
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 20,828860
Number of processes hit: 0

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 58,831454
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 140,965012
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 5,136972
CPU 0 ISR count: 1660073
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 113690,036321
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 36,313980
CPU 0 DPC count: 4788561
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 4,153125
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0
CPU 1 ISR count: 0
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 143,784072
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 1,147598
CPU 1 DPC count: 154084

Your latency test aside. Every time I've experienced pauses and stutters, it's been related to the storage system (HDD and / or SSD). One particular time, I had decided to do my semi-annual back up and HDD wipe and re-install of Windows. I wasn't experiencing any difficulties prior to doing this, but afterwards I started experiencing pauses and stutters (just like your explaining) and when I listened closely I could hear a soft clicking coming from my HDD. When the clicking stopped the computer became responsive. I e-mailed Western Digital to query them about the issue and I received an RMA number (drive was still under warranty), I hadn't even asked for one. Aside from the amazing support I received, this is pretty much what you are describing.

Thinking about it the drive was flawless prior to my wipe and re-install, the stress of the partition deletion / re-creation / formatting / re-install pushed the drive over the edge. Even though it hadn't fully failed, it is likely had I kept using it, it would have failed within a short time.

Just my two cents.

jgamito

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Did an HDD test, nothing found, HDD is ok

jgamito

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Yes, i did it over night.

Also i did a sfc and it did found corrupt files that cannot be repaired. Mostly dll's on WinSxS and some on sistem32.

jgamito

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
So, i just changed the HDD to try out if it would do the same, and yep, it still randomly stutters, mostly watching movies and listening to music but i guess that's because i can only see the stuttering while listening to something because the sound slows down and crackles.
Still no clue what's going on.

jgamito

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Could use a little help. :(

My pc specs are:
p5w dh deluxe
C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz
ATI HD 7700

This didn't happen when i had windows 7, windows 8 is killing me with this god damn stutterings!
I'm positive its not from my HDD as i have tryed more than one drive and they all do it, the fact that I can't simply reproduce the stutters makes it even harder to get a clue on what's going on (yes, they are completely random), although I've found no CPU increase on the performance menu of the task manager. This is really pissing me off :|

noble

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Sorry, you have to right click on the column row (where it says name, PID, status, etc) -> then click "select columns" -> then check "cpu time" and then sort by that...

What it actually says is how much time each process is taking from the cpu in order to run...

I'm hoping there may be a clue there...

noble

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
dwm seems to be much higher than my system (mine's a few seconds), but ive no idea if thats anything got to do with your problem. What about graphics card and driver ? Which one do you have and what kind of drivers you installed ? Manufacturer or generic ?

Did you install anything unusual like tweaking utilities or anything that messes with desktop etc ? Did the problem occurs since you had clean install of windows 8 ?

jgamito

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
No. It's a clean install. My graphic driver is an ATI HD 7700 with the latest ati drivers installed.
I've noticed that setpoint from my logitech g5 has some issues under windows 8 like reseting mouse sensitivity and stuff, trying to figure out if that's causing any issue. The problem is the dificulty i have to somehow filter what may be working badly and whatnot

Status
Not open for further replies.