Sign in with
Your question

Recommend appropriate Video Card for my new beast

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 18, 2011 11:55:49 AM

I have decided to Buy a pc with following configurations...
i5 2500K or i7 2600K
Asus P8Z68
Corsair cx 600
DDR3 1600 FSB or 2000 FSB : 16GB

Please recommend appropriate Graphics card (budget is around 100$ to 130$) .....PC is for highend 3D application...Mechanical CAD Packages....Mechanical FEA Packages and MAX with VRAY

Please also recommend card manufacturer name like Asus / Gigabyte / MSI / XFX / Zotac / Sapphire etc..

I am looking for a dual display...for continuous display and as well as to use it for separate application

what is difference between VGA Display and EVGA Display..If I am buying a graphics card..should I go for both EVGA Display

July 21, 2011 2:13:22 AM

ghnader hsmithot said:
sapphire 5850 extreme

I have got an idea from this forum that is....ATI cards are not suitable for my software....My software supports CUDA & Open CL which is only supported by Nvidia cards
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2011 10:53:18 AM

Got this from a newegg post on a gtx460:

Pros: Absolutely None: If you buy this card for 3D graphics creation; it is a waste of money; this card is little better than silicon trash for most popular applications, a total loser. Google GTX 460 to Wikipedia: " The problem, which affects any OpenGL application using textures, involves accessing framebuffer contents or storing data on the GPU. So far, one customer using an OpenGL based application got a response from nVidia support indicating that the behavior is expected in the GeForce 400 line of cards, and no software update is available to improve the performance of the hardware." The problem could be fixed if Nvidia would release a driver that would fix the memory copy to access the buffer object problem.

Cons: I'll say it again. This card is silicon trash. I bought this card to do graphics work with 3D Max and Cinema 4D; fps is slower than my antique 8800. Here's what Wikipedia has to say: " It has been reported by users as well as developers that nVidia 400-series cards have severe performance problems with 3D content-creation applications such as Autodesk Maya and 3ds Max, Blender, Rhinoceros 3D—as well as some OpenGL games—to the extent that video cards two generations older routinely outperform 400-series in such applications and games. The problem, which affects any OpenGL application using textures, involves accessing framebuffer contents or storing data on the GPU."

Other Thoughts: In my opinion, Nvidia purposely crippled this card so graphic artist's have to shell out big bucks for either a Tesla or Quadro. The 460 could do the job for a lot less if Nvidia had'nt purposely crippled it's performance with the driver code and they have no intention of changing it. They want profit. It's all about greed.

Reading that something like this would be ok: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you want something more powerful buy a gtx560 or 560ti. I do not know how much power your application needs or how big the improvement is from 550ti to 560ti, but in terms of gaming power it is pretty big. And considering that more power is better i would suggest you buy a gtx560ti, rise a little more money. It might be worth it.

Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also the 550ti that i posted has 1DVi, 1VGA and 1 HDMI normal size(no adapter needed). Does that meet your needs? Do you need 2 DVI ports? I can post one with 2 DVI ports if you want.

This 550ti has 2 dvi and 1 mini hdmi: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also these cards come with mail in rebate so you pay how much it costs and you get a part of the money back thru mail witch brings the total under 130$.
m
l
July 21, 2011 11:36:10 AM

newbie1992 said:
Here's a Nvidia GTX 550 Ti Superclocked for $120 after mail in rebate, after tax and shipping =)

Nvidia, since you can use CUDA =)

EVGA display? are you sure you're not confusing with the graphics card company? VGA is fine, HDMI is better.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclocked-PCI-Express-Gra...

Actually I wanted to know the difference between...VGA, DVI & HDMI
m
l
July 21, 2011 11:44:41 AM

ionut19 said:
Got this from a newegg post on a gtx460:

Pros: Absolutely None: If you buy this card for 3D graphics creation; it is a waste of money; this card is little better than silicon trash for most popular applications, a total loser. Google GTX 460 to Wikipedia: " The problem, which affects any OpenGL application using textures, involves accessing framebuffer contents or storing data on the GPU. So far, one customer using an OpenGL based application got a response from nVidia support indicating that the behavior is expected in the GeForce 400 line of cards, and no software update is available to improve the performance of the hardware." The problem could be fixed if Nvidia would release a driver that would fix the memory copy to access the buffer object problem.

Cons: I'll say it again. This card is silicon trash. I bought this card to do graphics work with 3D Max and Cinema 4D; fps is slower than my antique 8800. Here's what Wikipedia has to say: " It has been reported by users as well as developers that nVidia 400-series cards have severe performance problems with 3D content-creation applications such as Autodesk Maya and 3ds Max, Blender, Rhinoceros 3D—as well as some OpenGL games—to the extent that video cards two generations older routinely outperform 400-series in such applications and games. The problem, which affects any OpenGL application using textures, involves accessing framebuffer contents or storing data on the GPU."

Other Thoughts: In my opinion, Nvidia purposely crippled this card so graphic artist's have to shell out big bucks for either a Tesla or Quadro. The 460 could do the job for a lot less if Nvidia had'nt purposely crippled it's performance with the driver code and they have no intention of changing it. They want profit. It's all about greed.

Reading that something like this would be ok: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you want something more powerful buy a gtx560 or 560ti. I do not know how much power your application needs or how big the improvement is from 550ti to 560ti, but in terms of gaming power it is pretty big. And considering that more power is better i would suggest you buy a gtx560ti, rise a little more money. It might be worth it.

Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also the 550ti that i posted has 1DVi, 1VGA and 1 HDMI normal size(no adapter needed). Does that meet your needs? Do you need 2 DVI ports? I can post one with 2 DVI ports if you want.

This 550ti has 2 dvi and 1 mini hdmi: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also these cards come with mail in rebate so you pay how much it costs and you get a part of the money back thru mail witch brings the total under 130$.

I do not have any fascination or inclination to any card...I just need a card which can serve my purpose.

In our local market http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... this card is available at 170$ .. and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... this is available at 180$ .....yes it is more than new egg but we have no choices as we live in india....

I need a card which can support CUDA & Open CL and must be value for money....I am not a gamer......so if you feel some lower range card can serve my purpose please suggest...

m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2011 4:23:57 PM

the MSI GT 550Ti would be a good choice
m
l
July 21, 2011 9:20:45 PM

king smp said:
the MSI GT 550Ti would be a good choice

Thanks....
I am also inclined to that particular card after discussing with many people.....you make me more confident

but the only thing zotac has a 5yrs warranty plan and msi has 2 or 3 yrs......i hope this will not be a problem
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2011 10:09:14 PM

I really never worry about warranties for the most part
what I do is abuse the crap out of it during the normal 30day return policy
I overclock hard and run it 24/7 using a stress test like Prime95 for cpus
or furmark for video cards
this way if there is any defective parts you will know right away

I was a RadioShack manager for many years (8) and I learned to torture test
anything electronic during the return period
if it makes it thru that then it will probably last 10 years or more

I still have a PNY Geforce FX 5500 PCI card that is still running after
10 years and countless computers

things with moving parts are the ones to worry about

hard drives and dvd drives
are the most prone to failure

I personally have had a few MSI cards (have one in my system now)
and never had a problem
but like any company it can make bad product

just torture test it (run furmark for 8 hours)
if it survives 100 percent load for 8 hours you know it will last
do it the first night it is install
and well within your return policy
m
l
July 22, 2011 4:38:48 AM

king smp said:
I really never worry about warranties for the most part
what I do is abuse the crap out of it during the normal 30day return policy
I overclock hard and run it 24/7 using a stress test like Prime95 for cpus
or furmark for video cards
this way if there is any defective parts you will know right away

I was a RadioShack manager for many years (8) and I learned to torture test
anything electronic during the return period
if it makes it thru that then it will probably last 10 years or more

I still have a PNY Geforce FX 5500 PCI card that is still running after
10 years and countless computers

things with moving parts are the ones to worry about

hard drives and dvd drives
are the most prone to failure

I personally have had a few MSI cards (have one in my system now)
and never had a problem
but like any company it can make bad product

just torture test it (run furmark for 8 hours)
if it survives 100 percent load for 8 hours you know it will last
do it the first night it is install
and well within your return policy

nice information....it will help me a lot .. I am afraid in this part of world we do not have any 30 days return policy.....

but please guide me how to conduct a torture test.......Where is furmark..and how to operate that one
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2011 6:02:18 AM

furmark download link
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

just run the test for about 30 minutes first while carefully monitoring
the temps
then if temps stay reasonable at load (under 80c) for 30 minutes
then let it run and occasionally check temp (every hour or so)

if your card gets to hot it will automatically shut down before danger level

2 hours at load and you know the card is pretty
good

but without a good return policy I would be hesistant to push it too hard

m
l
July 22, 2011 6:04:39 AM

king smp said:
furmark download link
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

just run the test for about 30 minutes first while carefully monitoring
the temps
then if temps stay reasonable at load (under 80c) for 30 minutes
then let it run and occasionally check temp (every hour or so)

if your card gets to hot it will automatically shut down before danger level

2 hours at load and you know the card is pretty
good

but without a good return policy I would be hesistant to push it too hard

ok...thanks....i will thoroughly check return policy if any......
m
l
!