Sign in with
Your question

CPU Fan Speed Extremely High

Last response: in CPUs
December 19, 2011 1:39:34 PM

Hi,

For a while I've been having trouble with heavily fluctuating CPU fan speeds. I have posted a thread about this before, but I have new information about the problem since then. When the computer is idling, the CPU load will increase and the fan speed will shoot up to +/- 12000 RPM. It will then jump from 0 to 200 to 600 to other random figures, increasing and decreasing. The fan speed can also remain normal for a few hours after I turn the computer on, and then it loses its mind.

Here are my computer specs:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 @ 2.83GHz
RAM
4.0GB 1066MHz
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5QPL-AM
Graphics
AMD 6870

I have done a virus scan, it doesn't pick anything up. I have checked the health of my hard disks with Crystal Disk Info, and both hard drives are "Good". I have removed the fan, cleared out any trace of dust and applied more thermal paste to the heatsink. I have rebooted in safe mode, and normally without any start up processes, and in both cases, the fan speed still fluctuates.

I have used SpeedFan to monitor the fan speed:

And I've also used Process Explorer to see if it could be a process that's causing it (but it obviously can't be if the problem continues when I do a clean boot or run in safe mode):

What else could the problem possibly be? It's very loud and very irritating. Could this damage my computer permanently if I let this continue much longer?

Thanks,
Amy
a c 103 à CPUs
December 19, 2011 2:45:55 PM

It won't damage your pc if the fan is keeping the temps within operating limits, although at some point the fan will fail it isn't best for it to be run at full speed 24/7.

Could be a faulty cpu temp sensor, connect cpu fan to a system board header, disable cpu fan speed/fail detection in bios and see if its any better, this will also provide its not the motherboard fan header is glitchy.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 19, 2011 3:00:16 PM

Does the CPU usage go up randomly without any apparent reason?, I've had that happen to me a few times due to graphic drivers, and one time a sound driver and even network drivers, try uninstalling the drivers one by one, and use Driver Sweeper (get it from phyxion.net) under safe mode to clean all leftovers from that driver, then download and install the latest ones available, if it still does it repeat the process but install a previous driver version.

As for the fan speeds, you could either set it to be always at max at the bios (or highest speed at which noise is tolerable); or a better option, which is what I do, getting a good cheap fan controller http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and keep it quiet while idling or doing resource-light stuff, and crank it when gaming or encoding or you name it.
m
l
December 21, 2011 11:17:00 AM

Yes, it does go up randomly for no reason. I'll try uninstall the drivers and see if it helps, thanks a lot!
m
l
!