Sign in with
Your question

Want to upgrade the ram on my iMac 21.5inch mid-2011

Last response: in Motherboards
October 1, 2012 7:26:23 AM

Hey guys, this is my first post on here and I want to ask for some advice. I am currently using an iMac 21.5 inch mid-2011 model and I am looking to upgrade my RAM. I have four slots for the memory sticks and the current RAM is 2gb (2x2gb). I am looking to upgrade to 4gb a stick (2x4gb) . Would it be best to completely swap out the sticks or would I be able to run the 2gb/stick alongside with the 4gb/stick. I dont think that is possible but I wanted to reach out and ask. Thanks.
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2012 5:16:13 PM

You should be able to run the factory installed RAM with the after-market RAM without issue.
m
l
October 5, 2012 12:19:58 AM

cl-scott said:
You should be able to run the factory installed RAM with the after-market RAM without issue.

Thanks for the quick response, I am new to hardware so I want to make sure I am not risking anything. I was looking at BestBuy for ram and it seemed like a good deal, I was looking to get a 4gb stick for $38.00 and a close friend of mine mentioned crucial.com so I am going to get a total of 8gb(4gb x 2sticks) for just a fews bucks more, which will make a total of 12gbs of RAM. I asked around and I was told it is alright if my RAM isn't all the same size as long as it is compatible.
m
l
Related resources
!