Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Good gaming rig???

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 7, 2011 2:26:17 PM

Okay ppl...i just need 2 know if the following rig is gud enough 4 gaming @ highest settings for heavy games like metro2033, gta iv and bfbc2 etc...Resolution will probably be 1280*1024 but i might switch 2 a monitor with resolution of 1680*1050 in near future...

i3-2100
HIS Radeon HD 6790 IceQ X Turbo 1024MB 256Bits
6 Gb ddr III RAM
Intel DH61WW motherboard
Antec truepower 850 Watt psu...

ALL advice will b much appreciated thnx!!

P.S...plz dont tell me 2 go for 6850 or gtx 460 instead of 6790 cuz where i live they r much more expensive...

More about : good gaming rig

a b 4 Gaming
September 7, 2011 2:32:31 PM

It should be at that low a resolution. Two things though, what's up with 6 GB RAM? The i3 only has a a dual-channel memory controller, go with 2x4 GB or 2x2GB. And secondly that PSU is total overkill, you could do with a 500-ish W one.

I'll take your word on the GFX...
September 7, 2011 2:41:28 PM

I already bought the psu...it was used but in great condition and very cheap so i bought it been using it for a month now already on a C2D system...and ram is 8 Gb sorry my fault...thnx
Related resources
September 7, 2011 2:42:41 PM

and the i3-2100 wont be a bottleneck in games like gta iv right???
a b 4 Gaming
September 7, 2011 2:46:31 PM

Well, actually GTA IV is one of those games that really likes 4 physical cores. For your budget it might run better on a Phenom II X4. But some games will run better on the Intel. Oh, choices, choices.
September 7, 2011 2:53:17 PM

yeah theres so much confusion...like if i go 4 a amd quad core now then i would have 2 buy a new motherboard too when i want 2 switch 2 sandy bridge later...
a b 4 Gaming
September 7, 2011 2:59:13 PM

If you prefer Intel I'd save up a bit more money for an i5.

AMD's Bulldozer will probably offer a good upgrade too, if you wanted the X4 immediately. Just make sure to get a 900-series mobo.
September 7, 2011 3:09:00 PM

yeah the thing is that the rig i posted is the absolute limit 4 my budget...ill probably switch to i5 in a couple of months after saving some money...all i need right now is a decent rig cuz my current C2D rig is really bad cuz my e5700 is bottlenecking my 6790 very badly even after o.c...
September 7, 2011 3:10:45 PM

my current rig is

E5700 @ 3.5 Ghz
P5g41t mlx motherboard
Ice q turbo 6790
4 Gb ram
Antec 850
a b 4 Gaming
September 7, 2011 3:11:37 PM

Buying the i3 for only a couple of months is money down the drain. But it's your money :p 
September 7, 2011 3:14:00 PM

Y is it money down the drain???
a b 4 Gaming
September 7, 2011 3:15:53 PM

Because you're only using it for a couple of months before buying the i5, after which it's obsolete?

EDIT: or did I misunderstand something?
September 7, 2011 3:17:21 PM

no ill sell it then add some money 2 buy the i5...
a b 4 Gaming
September 7, 2011 3:21:18 PM

But you'll never sell it for 100% of the price. That means you're losing money...
September 7, 2011 3:25:49 PM

yup but i like 2 look @ it this way...thats the price of getting 2 enjoy the next 2 months playing decent games instead of not being able to play them with my current rig...
a b 4 Gaming
September 7, 2011 3:29:25 PM

True enough. Still the sensible thing would be to buy the i5, making due with your current system until then - but we're people. Can't always be sensible :D 
September 7, 2011 3:34:20 PM

very true...thnx 4 da advice bro
September 7, 2011 3:58:56 PM

wat ever combinations u use....buy a full tower Case...never compromise on the case :D  coz i did and bought all awesome components but bought a mid tower case and i have alot of heat issues :( 
September 7, 2011 4:18:31 PM

well i kinda already have a mid tower case...but i have 2 120mm fans installed...
but ur right all of the stuff is pretty cramped up inside mostly because of the thick cables of the psu...
September 7, 2011 4:21:26 PM

ch0rus123 said:
my current rig is

E5700 @ 3.5 Ghz
P5g41t mlx motherboard
Ice q turbo 6790
4 Gb ram
Antec 850

why did you get the 6790? the 5830 or the 460 1gb would beat it for about the same price
September 7, 2011 4:28:13 PM

i already said in the 1st post that the 6790 is MUCH cheaper than the 5830,6850 and the 460 where i live...the difference is around $60...
September 7, 2011 7:39:41 PM

ch0rus123 said:
well i kinda already have a mid tower case...but i have 2 120mm fans installed...
but ur right all of the stuff is pretty cramped up inside mostly because of the thick cables of the psu...


Yep! u gotta stick the cables to the sides of the case if u want ur pc to look cool when u open it :D 
September 7, 2011 8:33:39 PM

I already tried my best...still a mess :p 
a b 4 Gaming
September 7, 2011 8:42:00 PM

Why don't you save up some money over the next few months and buy the parts which will last ...

??


September 7, 2011 9:01:00 PM

Hmmm which parts???ill save some money and buy a i5 2300k after a few months...what else??but as i said before i cannot wait a few months 2 play decent games im tooo impatient...
September 11, 2011 9:49:48 PM

ch0rus123 said:
Hmmm which parts???ill save some money and buy a i5 2300k after a few months...what else??but as i said before i cannot wait a few months 2 play decent games im tooo impatient...

which one are you getting is is the 2300 or the 2500k, if you are getting the 2500k you might consider getting a p67/z68 mobo as the one you currently have now is h61 and does not support overclocking
September 11, 2011 9:59:36 PM

ch0rus123 said:
Okay ppl...i just need 2 know if the following rig is gud enough 4 gaming @ highest settings for heavy games like metro2033, gta iv and bfbc2 etc...Resolution will probably be 1280*1024 but i might switch 2 a monitor with resolution of 1680*1050 in near future...

i3-2100
HIS Radeon HD 6790 IceQ X Turbo 1024MB 256Bits
6 Gb ddr III RAM
Intel DH61WW motherboard
Antec truepower 850 Watt psu...

ALL advice will b much appreciated thnx!!

P.S...plz dont tell me 2 go for 6850 or gtx 460 instead of 6790 cuz where i live they r much more expensive...


graphics card... good
ram...
i h8 intel boards but there okay lol
good power supply
but whats gunna kill you in games is the i3 processor
i'd move up to an i5 when you can.. but you current system will be okay for games, just lacking in the processor department
September 12, 2011 4:46:43 PM

nna2 said:
graphics card... good
ram...
i h8 intel boards but there okay lol
good power supply
but whats gunna kill you in games is the i3 processor
i'd move up to an i5 when you can.. but you current system will be okay for games, just lacking in the processor department

actually in games that are less heavily threaded the i3 would perform better than a slower i5, say the 2300/2310 but only in heavily threaded games that the i5 would have a advantage
anyway there is nothing wrong with intel boards, its just you cant overclock very well on them thats all
September 17, 2011 8:49:50 PM

im not exactly looking 2 overclock but still ill buy a i5 2500k in a couple of months and then if i need 2 overclock then ill buy a new mobo later...
September 17, 2011 8:52:07 PM

wont the i5 2500k or even the 2300 be gud enough 4 todays games without the need of overclocking???
a b 4 Gaming
September 18, 2011 4:36:15 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
September 18, 2011 4:58:30 AM

ch0rus123 said:
wont the i5 2500k or even the 2300 be gud enough 4 todays games without the need of overclocking???



Yes, both of them are good enough to play any modern games without overclock, the difference in cost for the 2500k vs 2300 is roughly $30.00 US.
May 15, 2012 1:02:27 PM

ch0rus123 said:


HIS Radeon HD 6790 IceQ X Turbo 1024MB 256Bits

Intel DH61WW motherboard




This motherboard is not compatible with this graphic card 6790 :( 
!