Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New $3000+ Build Help/Advice

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 18, 2011 5:53:14 AM

I built my first (and current) computer in 2005 and it has stood the test of time, but it's finally starting to fall behind. I've been researching a new build but unfortunately I know about as much about computers now as I did then - so much of my thinking could be/probably is outdated. Any advice/help/pointing out of major flaws would be greatly appreciated!


Using newegg mostly because I don't really know what else is out there.. always open to cheaper parts from good sources!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Approximate Purchase Date: By the end of the month preferably


Budget Range: 2500-3500


System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Multimedia Entertainment, Networking, Internet


Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, headphones, mic, cable management accessories, some new tools, wireless router, surge protector, security software


Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg


Country of Origin: OK, USA


Parts Preferences: No preferences


Overclocking: Sure


SLI or Crossfire: Yes


Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080+


Additional Comments: None


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


·CPU: $219.95 Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

·Mobo: $234.99 ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157263

·GPU: $ $539.98 ($269.99 each) XFX HD-695X-CNFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP x2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150530

·Memory: $114.99 Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104169

·Case: $159.99 Fractal Design Define XL Black ATX Full Tower http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352005

·PSU: $129.99 Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371050

·SSD: $264.99 Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139601

·Hard Drive: $159.99 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLHX 300GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drivehttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136929

·Monitor: $369.99 ($184.99 each) ASUS VS Series VS238H-P Black 23" 2ms HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor x2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236175

·Optical Drive: $89.99 ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135252

·CPU Cooler: $85.87 Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

·OS: $264.99 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116717

·Thermal Paste: $12.99 ARCTIC COOLING Arctic Cooling MX-4 AC-MX4http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186038

Sub Total: $2,648.70


Accessories: Keyboard, mouse, headphones, mic, cable management accessories, some new tools, wireless router, surge protector, security software

Add in Shipping


Grand Total: $3,237.12



Thoughts, ideas, advice, and constructive criticism welcome. I'm not super computer-savvy so if there is a glaring conflict please let me know!

Thanks, in advance, for everyone's input.

More about : 3000 build advice

September 18, 2011 6:23:02 AM

for your budget go for 2600k cpu
for mobo go for asus maximus IV xreme z supports 3 way sli
you should change gpu to msi lightning 6970 2 Gb it is best for high resolutions
stays very cool n quiet.
16 gb is SUPER OVERKILL go for vengeance 1866 8 GB kit
your case is not that much useful for gaming you can go for other cheap,effective and cool case eg.nxzt phantom,HAF 932,azza harricane 2000(xellent air flow)
psu is very important do compromise go for coolermaster silent pro 1000w @$130
for hdd remove WD Raptor.go for caviar black or spinpoint 3 X2 in raid 0
cooler is super.
why are u spending $500+ for accessories?
go for x6 for keyboard and logitech gaming mouse,
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 6:29:57 AM

Right now is a pretty bad time to build a new computer. With bulldozer, ivy, 7000series GPU and GTX 600 coming out Q4 2011 and Q1 2012. The prices for the 6000 series and sandy bridges haven't dropped much, but soon will once they have to clear the inventory.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 18, 2011 6:31:31 AM

i will be back soon
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 6:34:24 AM

plz give some more info
how many monitors you need?
air cooling or water cooling prefered?
need blu ray?
plz soon
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 6:39:45 AM

Research I've done seemed to indicate that 2600s were really prohibitively expensive for the little increase it actually gave.

Besides not loving MSI, tests show the 2 6950s excells over the 6970.. at least for the most part.

I agree the RAM could come down in amount of Gbs.

I like the case because it has high ratings in sound/temp ratios in tests done recently by toms hardware. Large with good cable management options and plenty of space to expand storage in the coming months. Seemed to do alright temp wise to comparable tests.

Make a good point on the 7000 series coming out soon - isn't this always the problem with building? The next thing is coming out tomorrow and I might have to have that :/ 

Not interested in water cooling, blue ray is included in the build. Looking to do two monitors.
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 6:54:38 AM

I do some photoshop and database work and prefer the faster RPM. I may buy a couple for just general storage, though. Good to keep in mind. Thanks so much for the input :) 
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 7:08:49 AM

spencerific said:
I built my first (and current) computer in 2005 and it has stood the test of time, but it's finally starting to fall behind. I've been researching a new build but unfortunately I know about as much about computers now as I did then - so much of my thinking could be/probably is outdated. Any advice/help/pointing out of major flaws would be greatly appreciated!


Using newegg mostly because I don't really know what else is out there.. always open to cheaper parts from good sources!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Approximate Purchase Date: By the end of the month preferably


Budget Range: 2500-3500


System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Multimedia Entertainment, Networking, Internet


Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, headphones, mic, cable management accessories, some new tools, wireless router, surge protector, security software


Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg


Country of Origin: OK, USA


Parts Preferences: No preferences


Overclocking: Sure


SLI or Crossfire: Yes


Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080+


Additional Comments: None


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


·CPU: $219.95 Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

·Mobo: $234.99 ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157263

·GPU: $ $539.98 ($269.99 each) XFX HD-695X-CNFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP x2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150530

·Memory: $114.99 Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104169

·Case: $159.99 Fractal Design Define XL Black ATX Full Tower http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352005

·PSU: $129.99 Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371050

·SSD: $264.99 Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139601

·Hard Drive: $159.99 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLHX 300GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drivehttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136929

·Monitor: $369.99 ($184.99 each) ASUS VS Series VS238H-P Black 23" 2ms HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor x2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236175

·Optical Drive: $89.99 ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135252

·CPU Cooler: $85.87 Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

·OS: $264.99 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116717

·Thermal Paste: $12.99 ARCTIC COOLING Arctic Cooling MX-4 AC-MX4http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186038

Sub Total: $2,648.70


Accessories: Keyboard, mouse, headphones, mic, cable management accessories, some new tools, wireless router, surge protector, security software

Add in Shipping


Grand Total: $3,237.12



Thoughts, ideas, advice, and constructive criticism welcome. I'm not super computer-savvy so if there is a glaring conflict please let me know!

Thanks, in advance, for everyone's input.

Gateway 21.5" monitor- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... x3=420$

i5 2500k- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 220$ for what you are doing the 2500k is perfect

Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 190$

MSI GTX 580 twin frozr II- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... x2=1000$

Corsair 8gb 1600mhz- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 50$ believe it or not 8gb's is future proof for gaming

Corsair Carbide 500r- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 130$ you can turn off those ugly led's on the fans

PC Power and Cooling 950w PSU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 150$

Corsair Force 3 120gb- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 180$ make sure to get the new firmware update (1.3)

Samsung F3 1tb- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 60$ this is a storage drive they do not need to be fast

Asus 12x Blu Ray Burner- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 90$

Scythe Mugen 3- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 50$ you can hit 5.0ghz with this cpu cooler. i dont know how much higher any one would want or need to go

Windows 7 oem home premium- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 100$ pretty much the same thing for a lot less

no thermal paste is needed the cpu cooler comes with some

Total=2640$
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 7:10:11 AM

i meant to say 6970 in xfire.by the way wait for a few more minute i will give you a good gaming rig setup for the budget.i agree that new hardware will be released but i think a 2600k or 2500k and a 6970CF or 6950CF will easily crack BF3 and other upcoming games at max for 30+ fps.
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 7:18:40 AM

Yes it is true that is a problem with building, but according to rumors and leaks the 7900s series will use a 28nm architecture. And, well the 6000 series was pretty much the same as 5000 series.
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 7:40:32 AM


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Approximate Purchase Date: By the end of the month preferably


Budget Range: 2500-3500


System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Multimedia Entertainment, Networking, Internet


Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, headphones, mic, cable management accessories, some new tools, wireless router, surge protector, security software


Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg


Country of Origin: OK, USA


Parts Preferences: No preferences


Overclocking: Sure


SLI or Crossfire: Yes


Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080+


Additional Comments: None


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


·CPU: $219.95 Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

·Mobo: $234.99 ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157263

·GPU: $ $539.98 ($269.99 each) XFX HD-695X-CNFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP x2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150530

·Memory: $114.99 Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104169

·Case: $159.99 Fractal Design Define XL Black ATX Full Tower http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352005

·PSU: $129.99 Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371050

·SSD: $264.99 Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139601

·Hard Drive: $159.99 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLHX 300GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drivehttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136929

·Monitor: $369.99 ($184.99 each) ASUS VS Series VS238H-P Black 23" 2ms HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor x2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236175

·Optical Drive: $89.99 ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135252

·CPU Cooler: $85.87 Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

·OS: $264.99 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116717

·Thermal Paste: $12.99 ARCTIC COOLING Arctic Cooling MX-4 AC-MX4http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186038

Sub Total: $2,648.70


Accessories: Keyboard, mouse, headphones, mic, cable management accessories, some new tools, wireless router, surge protector, security software

Add in Shipping


Grand Total: $3,237.12



Thoughts, ideas, advice, and constructive criticism welcome. I'm not super computer-savvy so if there is a glaring conflict please let me know!

Thanks, in advance, for everyone's input.



now here you go with your $3500 beast-



COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
$189.99


Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$159.98



2X ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor W/Speakers
$359.98



GIGABYTE GV-N26UD-896M REV2.0 GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$99.99


2X MSI R6970 Lightning Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
$773.98


AMD Gift - Comic Book - OEM
($0.00 each)


COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3-US 1000W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active ...

$159.99


Logitech Z523 40 Watts RMS 2.1 Speaker System
$84.99


Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Keyboard
$49.99


Logitech G500 10 Buttons Dual-mode Scroll Wheel USB Wired Laser Gaming Mouse
$43.99


Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
$12.98


G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL
$79.99


ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
$334.99


Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
$314.99


COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200 R4-LUS-07AR-GP 200mm Red LED Case Fan
$16.68


COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120 R4-L2R-20AR-R1 120mm Silent operation Red LED case fan
$9.99


Rosewill RFX-80BL 80mm 2 Ball Bearing Blue LED Case Fan with Fan Controller Set
$8.99


Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm Case Fan
$29.99


Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
$85.87


LG Black Super Multi SATA WH12LS30 LightScribe Support - OEM
$69.99


2X Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (HyperX Upgrade Kit)
$529.98
($264.99 each)


Tt eSPORTS SHOCK Foldable Gaming Headset Shining White HT-SHK002ECWH

$59.99


Subtotal: $3,487.31

i found gtx 260 for just $99.keep this almost "high-end" card for physx
replace rear,upper and gpu cooling fan from haf x and use the given ones.
replace the 120mm fan from HSF and replace wit noctua 140mm.
now it is ready for anything.
ALL THE BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quotemsg]
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 10:39:19 AM

So, Bulldozer is releasing tomorrow. :) 

Processor : AMD Bulldozer FX-8150: 8 core, 3.6GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) - $266.28

Motherboard : GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - $250
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM : 2x CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 - $210 (105x2)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Graphics : EVGA 03G-P3-1596-AR GeForce GTX 590 CLASSIFIED Edition Video Card - 3GB, 768-bit GDDR5 - $750
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Hard Disk : 2x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM - $120
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD : OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III - $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Power Supply : CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W - $280
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case : COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower - $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Optical Drive : ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner - $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OS : Microsoft Windows 7 Proffessional - $265
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Monitor : Monitor: $369.99 ($184.99 each) ASUS VS Series VS238H-P Black 23" 2ms HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor x2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6824236175

Total : $2905 after rebates
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 2:41:19 PM

008Rohit said:
So, Bulldozer is releasing tomorrow. :) 

Processor : AMD Bulldozer FX-8150: 8 core, 3.6GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) - $266.28

Motherboard : GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - $250
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM : 2x CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 - $210 (105x2)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Graphics : EVGA 03G-P3-1596-AR GeForce GTX 590 CLASSIFIED Edition Video Card - 3GB, 768-bit GDDR5 - $750
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Hard Disk : 2x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM - $120
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD : OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III - $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Power Supply : CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W - $280
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case : COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower - $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Optical Drive : ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner - $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OS : Microsoft Windows 7 Proffessional - $265
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Monitor : Monitor: $369.99 ($184.99 each) ASUS VS Series VS238H-P Black 23" 2ms HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor x2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6824236175

Total : $2905 after rebates

and an 8 cpu will be better for gaming why?
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 2:43:50 PM

OP: what about a tri monitor gaming setup where you have 3 screens showing your game at once with a res of 5670x1080p. it will actually give you an advantage because you can see more than people without high resolution setups.
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 2:59:34 PM

mjmjpfaff said:
and an 8 cpu will be better for gaming why?


Just because the cost is just slightly over i5 2500K. So, $40 more and you get 4 extra physical cores. It won't give the OP any advantage in current games but it will, in future games. Like, it will hopefully be able to maxx out games released after 4 years from now. The build will be more future-proof. :) 
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 3:22:59 PM

008Rohit said:
Just because the cost is just slightly over i5 2500K. So, $40 more and you get 4 extra physical cores. It won't give the OP any advantage in current games but it will, in future games. Like, it will hopefully be able to maxx out games released after 4 years from now. The build will be more future-proof. :) 

but 4yrs from now that will be a very weak 8 cores and it wont be able to max out the games in the future
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 3:36:59 PM

mjmjpfaff said:
but 4yrs from now that will be a very weak 8 cores and it wont be able to max out the games in the future


Then the i7 2600K will be twice as weak, lol. :p 

Processors don't get outdated at that rapid rate. I used my last Pentium 4 build for 7 years till I bought i3. :) 
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 3:50:23 PM

008Rohit said:
Then the i7 2600K will be twice as weak, lol. :p 

Processors don't get outdated at that rapid rate. I used my last Pentium 4 build for 7 years till I bought i3. :) 


im still using a pentium 4 (6 yrs old) but i dont game with it because it is way too weak. the 2600k wont be twice as weak! i had no idea bulldozer is twice as powerful. it would only be twice as powerful if they had the same power clock for clock and we all know amd is compensating for weak cores with many cores.
m
0
l

Best solution

September 18, 2011 4:05:07 PM

I think other people have said this but in that budget range I feel now is a bad time to build a hole new system upgrading is one thing we are really on the brink of allot of new stuff right now, SSD prices are on the drop its foreseeable that given a few more months you could get quite a bit more space for less money (important if your concerned about rpm) we have Both BD and Ivy coming out maybe not right now but soon enough that if u wait 2-3 months we will at least have the info to make a decision the same apply s to the 7000 AMD GPU chips. I'm not claiming any performance comments on any of these my point is just that in just a few months for your budget you could possibly be looking at or forward to a hole new field of hardware superior to the parts that have been listed. *Disclaimer I am not saying Ivy bridge will be out in 2-3 months I do how ever think we may be getting some new info on the matter and we will all most defiantly have some 7000 series numbers bye then maybe sooner.
Share
September 18, 2011 4:05:24 PM

I agree. I too didn't game on it much. :) 
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 4:58:19 PM

i think you should not go with bulldozer as they are new and no one is familiar with them.we dont know their pros and cons.i still doubt that they will beat 2600k in term of gaming.so you should postpone your build for 3~4 weeks IMO.think about it cause what if they(bulldozers) are not reliable and what if you build your rig with SB 2600k and bulldozers beat them????hummmmmmmmmmmmm so THINK AND WAIT FOR ATLEAST 2 WEEKS.
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 7:16:10 PM

Hmm.. so much to think about. I am interested in seeing some real stats on bulldozer. If it lives up to the hype that has come out about it, it may be worth getting. Worth a few weeks to see. I may most a new thread then and get some more input. Thanks for all the help!
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 7:58:05 PM

Best answer selected by spencerific.
m
0
l
!