Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

2800 Budget: Does my setup work?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
September 18, 2011 6:37:47 AM

This is my first EVER home build. I'm building it with the intention for expansion and 100% for high-end gaming (well, as high-end as I can obtain for less than $3,000)


Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower ATX w/ USB 3.0



CPU: i7 2600k



Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (LGA 1155)



RAM: Corsair Vengeance 12 GB (3 x 4Gb) 240 PIN DDR3



GPU #1: PowerColor Radeon HD 6950



GPU #2: PowerColor Radeon HD 6950



PSU: 1200 Watt Silverstone ST-1200G



Hard Drive #1: OCZ Vertex 3 60 GB SSD



Hard Drive #2: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA HD



Optical Drive: 8x Lite-On Blu-Ray Reader & DVD

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium

More about : 2800 budget setup work

September 18, 2011 6:46:01 AM

You have the wrong RAM. You want DDR3 Dual Channel RAM. Also you only need a 750w psu for that build.
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 6:49:03 AM

I found that you don't really realize how small a 60GB SSD is until you install it. If you have room in your budget I'd really suggest bumping up to 80GB or even 120GB.

You will not regret it.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 18, 2011 6:49:41 AM

what will it be used for? gaming? video editing? do you need a monitor(s)? peripherals?
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 6:52:26 AM

RAM is not compatiable.go for msi twinfrozer or HIS version of 6950 both are cool n quiet.what about cooling?
1200w is overkill.if need high capacity PSU go for CM slient pro 850w.
for ssd go with corsair force 64 Gb only $115 very reliable.
PLEASE GIVE MORE DETAILS ABOUT YOUR SETUP.
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 6:52:48 AM

Why would I want a 750w PSU over a 1200w, Why_Me?

60 GB is enough for me as it will only be for running Windows 7 and perhaps a single game of choice?

I also have a second HDD in there. I would get another, larger SSD however it just isn't in my budget.

To answer your question, it will be for Gaming, mjmjpfaff. I will more than likely either buy two monitors or use my SONY 32 inch 1080p LCD TV as a monitor. I haven't completely decided yet.

I've NEVER, EVER built a computer on my own before so this is all somewhat new to me.
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 6:55:22 AM

Zetsou said:
Why would I want a 750w PSU over a 1200w, Why_Me?

60 GB is enough for me as it will only be for running Windows 7 and perhaps a single game of choice?

Because using a 1250w psu for dual 6950's is like putting a Kenworth engine in a Volkswagen Beetle. It's a total waste.
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 6:57:18 AM

Because 1200w is too much for your build. A good 750w is enough and cheaper.

For gaming go for the i5-2500k. The 2600k doesn't offer much improvement in gaming.

I didn't add up the price yet but i'm pretty sure you're way below your 2800$ budget. Unless you still have to buy the tv.
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 6:57:42 AM

Why_Me said:
Because using a 1250w psu for dual 6950's is like putting a Kenworth engine in a Volkswagen Beetle. It's a total waste.



What would make the 1200w NOT a total waste, if you don't mind me asking.
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 7:01:03 AM

3 x gtx 580
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 7:02:36 AM

Sky03 said:
3 x gtx 580



Well now that's a graphical splendor I wish I could afford =S
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 7:05:42 AM

Zetsou said:
Well now that's a graphical splendor I wish I could afford =S



Actually i wasn't suggesting that you buy 3x gtx 580. I was just answering your questin:




"What would make the 1200w NOT a total waste, if you don't mind me asking."
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 7:09:47 AM

No, I understood what you were saying. Sorry. I was just drooling :)  haha
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 7:12:50 AM

hellfire24 said:
RAM is not compatiable.go for msi twinfrozer or HIS version of 6950 both are cool n quiet.what about cooling?
1200w is overkill.if need high capacity PSU go for CM slient pro 850w.
for ssd go with corsair force 64 Gb only $115 very reliable.
PLEASE GIVE MORE DETAILS ABOUT YOUR SETUP.



Why is the RAM not compatible? doesn't fit in an LGA 1155?
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 7:14:50 AM

Zetsou said:
What would make the 1200w NOT a total waste, if you don't mind me asking.

actually 4 x gtx 580

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtZdg3PvSQU

otherwise your looking good for the build

might wanna add a good cpu cooler in there
thermalright silver arrow
noctua nd 14
corsair h80
something like that
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 7:20:42 AM

obsidian86 said:
actually 4 x gtx 580

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtZdg3PvSQU

otherwise your looking good for the build

might wanna add a good cpu cooler in there
thermalright silver arrow
noctua nd 14
corsair h80
something like that



Thank you for the suggestion!! I will definitely look into a CPU cooler, I definitely overlooked that before!
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 9:45:31 AM

Zetsou said:
Why is the RAM not compatible? doesn't fit in an LGA 1155?





BECAUSE THAT IS TRIPLE CHANNEL RAM AND SANDYBRIDGES DONT USE TRIPLECHANNEL
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 3:24:37 PM

hellfire24 said:
BECAUSE THAT IS TRIPLE CHANNEL RAM AND SANDYBRIDGES DONT USE TRIPLECHANNEL
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR





Glad you can't read. I stated before, this is my first ever home build. So call names all you want. Youre only making yourself sound more idiotic.
m
0
l
September 18, 2011 3:47:26 PM

Windows 7 Home premium oem 64 bit- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q0PT3I/ref=ox_sc_a... 92$

Gateway 21.5" x3 5670x1080p res- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... x3=420$ a high resolution setup gives you an advantage because you can see more

i5 2500k- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 220$

Asrock Z68 Extreme7- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 280$

Corsair AX1200- http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-1200-Watt-Ce... 280$ you can add another 580 with this psu

Corsair Carbide 500r- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 130$

MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr II- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... x2=1000$

ASUS Blu-Ray 12x drive- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 69$

Samsung F3 1tb- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 60$

Corsair 8gb 1600mhz ram- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 50$ duel channel and even 8gb is future proof

Corsair Force 3 120gb- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 180$ make sure to get the new firmware (1.3)

Total=2781$



m
0
l
!