Windows 7 installer can't detect SSD to install

joonkimdds

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Hi guys.
2 days ago, I posted about how my BIOS can't even detect SSD anymore.
So we concluded that my SSD was dead.
After talking to OCZ tech support, the guy told me to change SATA configuration into ACHI and then my BIOS was able to detect SSD again.

So i thought that the problem was solved, but as soon as windows 7 logo shows up, blue screen pops up for like 0.5 sec, and then restarts the computer.

I thought that SSD was working fine, BIOS could detect it, and the only problem is with windows 7 so I decided to put windows 7 disc in dvd drive to format and reinstall. But now, my windows 7 can't detect SSD.

What should I do? Why can't my windows 7 disc detect SSD when my BIOS can. And does this mean my SSD is still alive?

Old thread...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277619-32-stopped-recognizing

2500K CPU
120GB OCZ SSD
8GB ram
620W PSU
windows 7

I built this computer about 8 months ago.

redeemer

Distinguished
Best thing to do is install the ssd into another computer, just to see if window or whatever OS your running detects the drive. When you connect your ssd, do you see the ssd drive in your bios? Set achi and save, then put you windows installation disk in and run.

It would help even more if you posted your hardware specs

joonkimdds

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
I have one more question.
When I install OS to my SSD, was I supposed to set it to AHCI mode instead of IDE? what's the difference? I was able to use it in IDE mode fine for last 8 months.

And if AHCI is better, and if that's what I need to pick in the future,
could you tell me the difference between Marvell SATA3 operation mode and SATA mode because both of them have IDE mode and AHCI mode and I don't know if both of them should be AHCI or only one of them and if so, which one?

For Nikorr//
I use asrock p67 extreme 4.
My CPU is i5-2500K
I use 2 sticks of 4gb ram = 8GB and it's Ripjaw X

and I doubt that it's a memory stick problem. They are detected fine in BIOS.

[fixed]and I doubt that it's a memory stick problem. They are detected fine in BIOS.[/fixed]
It happens all the time. Take 1 out and try install again. If it is no go, put it to another slot and try again.

If it is no go, repeat all with another stick.

Advantage of AHCI

Hot-Plugging (will not cover here as it will not affect computer performance)
Native Command Queuing (might improve computer/system/hard disk responsiveness, espcially in multi-tasking environment

072408-0834-ahcivsideb2.gif

RealBeast

Titan
SSD is best on AHCI mode for whatever controller it is on. The issue is that when Win 7 installed originally it was in IDE mode and you have to do a little work to enable the Win 7 AHCI driver, not just change the bios setting. Short of a full re-installation, you can make a few changes described here to do it.

joonkimdds

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

So, if there is a problem with a memory stick, SSD is not detected by either BIOS or windows 7 installer?

joonkimdds

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

I actually ordered a new SSD already (Crucial M4 265GB).
When I get that one and try to install windows 7, do I make sure that BIOS SATA mode is in AHCI and then install and everything will be fine? is "SATA MODE" the only thing that needs to be in AHCI not the other "Marvell operation SATA3 mode"?

joonkimdds

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

When I first got these parts, it was in IDE.
I installed SSD without changing IDE into AHCI.
and it worked fine for last 8 months.

After I got an email from tech person telling me to change IDE into AHCI and see if BIOS can detect SSD again, I did and bios was able to detect again.
But SSD wasn't able to enter windows 7 so I was trying to reinstall windows 7, but windows 7 installer can't detect SSD.

So now I am just changing between IDE and AHCI back and forth if that fixes the problem but so far, it doesn't really fix the problem.

Currently, I am thinking that SSD is the problem although you suggested that ram could be a problem.
Also, if I want to install windows 7 to my new SSD that I just ordered, I don't know if I should change both "SATA mode" and " Marvel SATA3 operation mode" into AHCI.

OK, check if the SSD is still first device to boot, because if u change it to AHCI without registry change, it will not boot and when u change it back, it will not boot as well.

[fixed]Also, if I want to install windows 7 to my new SSD that I just ordered, I don't know if I should change both "SATA mode" and " Marvel SATA3 operation mode" into AHCI.
[/fixed]
If u are going to do a clean install, set it to AHCI.

That is the thing, if the rep told u to change it without registry change, he was wrong!

It will work this time, because the W7 will see it from the beginning set to AHCI so it will sett the system to the mode.

dominionz

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Also, it might help if you make sure no other Hard Drives are connected when doing Win 7 install. My bios gave me issuses trying to install to SSD with other drives connected.

Reset bios to default settings, make sure ACHI is enabled and install OS.

joonkimdds

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Hi guys.
I just received a new SSD, Crucial M4 265GB and it is detected by both bios and windows 7 installer.
So the solution to my problem was getting a new SSD.
Thank you everyone for helping me.